Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Well maybe as a male it's harder for me to buy that. I buy that there are women who'd goad men into hitting them, but for a man to actually do it means he either is violent or is a moron.

Granted my situation is a bit different. I am a tiny man with a brittle-bone disease. As an adult I think it's wrong to hit anyone, unless in defense, so would never do it. However if I did hit a woman it wouldn't really be the same as a regular man hitting a woman and I think even cops would more easily accept the idea it was self-defense if it were me rather than an ordinary man. (Some people are weird about this though. I remember a show where a little boy was getting beat by an older girl much larger than him and it was played as "laugh at the weakling boy" not "what's the deal with this girl beating up some little boy?")

You described Bob as fairly manly. Therefore I think his action is still very very wrong no matter how unpleasant his wives were. I don't think I'm being overly PC and I'm not a feminist.
So sorry to hear that you have a brittle bone disease. One would have an entirely different view of violence, in that case. I hope that it doesn't make life too difficult for you.

In any event, there is no real "Bob". That was, as I originally prefaced it, only a story I wrote in response to a challenge. But a guy can be violent, and a moron, and still not be an abuser. My point was to paint a portrait of a guy who, while strictly heterosexual, might wish to reverse his sexuality. In this case, a man who loved sex with women, but hated women.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
It's okay. When you're born a certain way it makes it different. (My condition being genetic is universally agreed upon, I believe they even found the gene in mice) To not have brittle-bones would mean I'd been a different person with a different life. This is the life I've had and in many ways I feel lucky for it. I've had 200 bone fractures, but most of those were in my first ten years of life.

As a disabled guy people open doors for me. They're generally nice to me and I can keep a distance that allows me to not see their bad side so much. Anything remarkable I do is deemed more remarkable because I have a genetic condition. At times I find that annoying, but it has its advantages. And rather than have to walk everywhere I ride in a fancy electronic wheelchair. Going down a steep ramp in the rain is a thrill that, among the walking, I imagine only bikers feel. I am rarely just a face in the crowd forgotten with ease. In life I am, in many ways, virtually unforgettable. Possibly why real fame-seeking has never appealed to me. I already know what it's like to enter a room and have all eyes focus on me. After I graduated magna cem laude I was in newspapers and people would go "There's Tom" when I went to the Mall that year. The downside of such celebrity is if you sneak out of something or do something stupid everyone knows, but I've always known that about being me. Also I have a loving family with two brothers and three sisters.

In some ways I think it's unfair that other people have to be normal. They live in a world where people aren't automatically polite to them. Where they have to do something extraordinary just to get noticed. Where people ask them to move furniture around or demand so much from them. Still I'm certain it has its advantages and they're born that way so they don't know any better.

As for gay/straight I don't know if gays ever feel that their way is in some ways more fun or better. Maybe they do.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:25 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Then do you believe they are born homosexual? If you do, it must be in the genes. Otherwise its a nuture argument, something in the parenting or the childs upbringing that changed them into homosexuals.

There have been to many accounts of children who displayed homosexual behavior at to young of an age to discount the gene theory.

No one has found a cancer gene thats 100% true yet either. There are lots of genes, and how they react together that we don't understand. Perhaps the mother excreted to much estrogen at one point during the first trimester, or to much testoterone, or something of that nature.

I'm not sure, but I know it happens in the womb. I personally believe its in the genes, some kind of genetic mutation. And as you pointed out dwarfism, they were born that way, for whatever reason, and its abnormal. I feel that homosexuality is abnormal in the same aspect. Nothing wrong with being homosexual, or being a dwarf, or a dwarf homosexual for that matter, but its outside of normal human biology, so it makes it abnormal.
And you still don't get it, and I've a feeling you never will. If it was a "genetic abnormality", then it would've been spotted right away.

Yes, people are indeed born with a predisposition towards one of the sexual catagories, but not everything you're born with is a "genetic" trait.

There is also no indication that some families are "prone to gayness" either, further showing it isn't a "genetic abnormality" which can indeed be passed down through the generations.

You claim to support gays, yet you continue to use anti-gay terminology and misinformation.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And you still don't get it, and I've a feeling you never will. If it was a "genetic abnormality", then it would've been spotted right away.

Yes, people are indeed born with a predisposition towards one of the sexual catagories, but not everything you're born with is a "genetic" trait.

There is also no indication that some families are "prone to gayness" either, further showing it isn't a "genetic abnormality" which can indeed be passed down through the generations.

You claim to support gays, yet you continue to use anti-gay terminology and misinformation.
How am I against Gays becasue I support that its different than the norm? Anyone can see that its different than the norm.

I believe that its either genetic, and the jury is still out on that you are right, or that it is because of hormone levels in the mother during the first trimester.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
How am I against Gays becasue I support that its different than the norm? Anyone can see that its different than the norm.

I believe that its either genetic, and the jury is still out on that you are right, or that it is because of hormone levels in the mother during the first trimester.
You use the terminology of the anti-gay community, Mr. Mephis, such as "lifestyle", "abnormality", and now "different from the norm".

This doesn't indicate that you are against gays, but the use of such verbage as used by the anti-gay agenda only goes to further their agenda.

It is not a "abnormality", it is quite normal for gays.

It is not a "lifestyle" as it is not a choice.

And homosexuality is quite the norm for gays.

At one point in our Nations history, the percentage of blacks equals the estimated percentage of gays today. Does this mean that blacks were "abnormal" at that time? That they were somehow outside of the norm?

I do not consider you as against gays, sir. However, I am attempting to address some of the terms you incorrectly label homosexuals with that are commonly used by the anti-gay people.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:36 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
You use the terminology of the anti-gay community, Mr. Mephis, such as "lifestyle", "abnormality", and now "different from the norm".

This doesn't indicate that you are against gays, but the use of such verbage as used by the anti-gay agenda only goes to further their agenda.

It is not a "abnormality", it is quite normal for gays.

It is not a "lifestyle" as it is not a choice.

And homosexuality is quite the norm for gays.

At one point in our Nations history, the percentage of blacks equals the estimated percentage of gays today. Does this mean that blacks were "abnormal" at that time? That they were somehow outside of the norm?

I do not consider you as against gays, sir. However, I am attempting to address some of the terms you incorrectly label homosexuals with that are commonly used by the anti-gay people.
Sorry to disapoint you, but I'm about as politically incorrect as they come. I call it how I see it.

If there are 5 squirels in my yard, and 4 are grey, and 1 is black, guess what, the black squirel is abnormal.

Calling it like it is isn't an insult, its just the truth. Homosexuality is not the normal human condition. A percentage of the population is born gay, for whatever reason, and whether they like it or not, its still not the normal.

I've seen an estimated population of the United States being homosexual between 2 and 10%. Thats still less than our African American population (15% roughly).

World wide, the population is around 2%. Thats a very small percentage of people, which shows that its even more outside the normal population. Sorry if I offend you, but I will continue to call it how I see it. I have no problem with homosexuals, I support gay rights, I support gay marriage, and I have gay friends, but it is still not the normal human condition.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 AM

287 posts, read 547,089 times
With all the scientific research that has been conducted to study this phenomenon, there has been NO conclusion whatsoever of any gay gene that has been discovered. If it was indeed genetic, like the above poster said, it would have been discovered fairly easily.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Sorry to disapoint you, but I'm about as politically incorrect as they come. I call it how I see it.

If there are 5 squirels in my yard, and 4 are grey, and 1 is black, guess what, the black squirel is abnormal.

Calling it like it is isn't an insult, its just the truth. Homosexuality is not the normal human condition. A percentage of the population is born gay, for whatever reason, and whether they like it or not, its still not the normal.

I've seen an estimated population of the United States being homosexual between 2 and 10%. Thats still less than our African American population (15% roughly).

World wide, the population is around 2%. Thats a very small percentage of people, which shows that its even more outside the normal population. Sorry if I offend you, but I will continue to call it how I see it. I have no problem with homosexuals, I support gay rights, I support gay marriage, and I have gay friends, but it is still not the normal human condition.
Nothing "PC" about it.

"Abnormal" is used as an insult by the anti-gay community, and is used incorrectly as well.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:50 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Homosexuality is a normal human condition. some people might not like it or agree with it, or are scared of it, but it is a normal human condition. end of story

Old 09-04-2009, 12:38 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Nothing "PC" about it.

"Abnormal" is used as an insult by the anti-gay community, and is used incorrectly as well.
The ideological zeal that drives you reminds me of Khan, of Star Trek II fame, saying "for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

You don't have a shred of hard, factual evidence that the explanation for being "gay" is any different from the explanation for having green hair with a purple stripe or a dozen eyebrow piercings. Yet you have the majority of the population marching behind you merely through endless repetition of the inane question "when did you choose to be heterosexual?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates