Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 06:11 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,122,184 times

Advertisements

If someone were to present a sincere, logical answer for the original question, would it really matter anyway? Everyone has what they consider a reasonable, yet unshakable stance on this subject and nothing is going to change it so the post becomes nothing less than a circular discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 07:33 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,247,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yeah, uh, I don't do any of that stuff either. No PDA's for me, thanks.
Plenty of hetero's do. I could take my camera to the city today and snap 100 shots without a doubt. If homosexuals do the same, like holding hands in public, that's shoving it in people's faces. The double standard is stupid.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:54 AM

481 posts, read 809,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Because it threatens the Christian stance on Intelligent design and the bible.

The bible says you are supposed to kill homosexuals.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

One guy thousands of years ago said that. "The Bible" doesn't say it.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,754,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Plenty of hetero's do. I could take my camera to the city today and snap 100 shots without a doubt. If homosexuals do the same, like holding hands in public, that's shoving it in people's faces. The double standard is stupid.
People do a lot of things they shouldn't. I can only police my own actions--I don't have a right to police the actions of others.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:41 AM

306 posts, read 478,387 times
Marriage is a sacred word. It has, or should have a heavy religious connotation. Between a man and a women. However, I am all for giving all the rights of Marriage to homosexuals. Just not the label.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
People do a lot of things they shouldn't. I can only police my own actions--I don't have a right to police the actions of others.
That's not really relevant to the post I responded to. The point is that the same poster would not say that a hetero couple holding hands, or whatever, is shoving their heterosexuality into people's faces. Maybe he would, but it's unlikely.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 08-29-2009 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Marriage is a sacred word. It has, or should have a heavy religious connotation. Between a man and a women. However, I am all for giving all the rights of Marriage to homosexuals. Just not the label.
Marriage may be religious to you, it's not to all. It's a civil contract. Nor does marriage have its origins in religion. Religion has no claim to the title, marriage.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,425,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
i dont think BEING gay hurts anyone
however that poster complained that heteros paraded around all the time, and my point is they are the natural state of things, so it makes sense that they would "parade" themselves
Scuze me, but homosexuality is just as natural, if less common, than heterosexuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
if homosexuals really want acceptance then they should reconsider shoving it in peoples faces.
So next time someone, a coworker or even a stranger at the bus stop, asks if you're married and how's the kids, tell them you can't say because you don't want to "flaunt your un-gay-ness".

And no one is looking for your "acceptance", equality isn't about "acceptance", it is laws set in place to stop discrimination.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I can't wrap my mind around homosexuality, and I have to say it makes me somewhat uncomfortable. The only "harm" that could occur would be an advance from someone of my own sex. I mean, I'm uncomfortable enough with the thought, I can only imagine what kind of leper I'd treat them like if one made an unwelcome advance (and, being straight, they're ALL unwelcome).

That being said, I see nothing wrong with them marrying each other. Doesn't affect me any, can't see it from my house.
When I was a younger man, I like going out with gay friends to gay bars.

At a "regular bar", I would almost always get hit up on by some fat smelly obnoxious broad who wouldn't go away even when I flashed my wedding ring and told her "no, not interested" several times.

At the gay bar whenever I got hit up on and they found out I was straight, I would get a smiled apology, a free drink, and left alone.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
No, marriage is a legal g'ment institution that some citizens prefer to enact utilizing religious marriage cerimonies.

Some citizens, like my wife and I, prefered to have our civil marriage cerimony conducted by a Justice of the peace, as pagan clergy were not recognized as Marriage Officiants at the time, and we didn;t want the clergy of a god we didn't look to conduct our legally binding marriage cerimony. No mention of your god, or any god, or even some vague sence of deity was mentioned.

My wife and I are considered legally, culturally, and socially married, even BY Christian clergy.

You are simply confusing the differences between religious wedding cerimonies and marriage itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates