Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 07:50 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,814,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I am a conservative but not on this issue. Logically, to me, if marriage is an ideal to be aspired to, and I think it is, I think gays ought to be able to partake in it. Statistics even show married people live longer. But, I do not think religious institutions should be forced to go against their beliefs in any matter so while I'm okay with gay marriage, I don't think religious institutions that prohibit it in their teachings should be forced to perform the ceremony. I've said this before but I also think gay people should talk more about why they want to be married rather than spend time addressing the opposition to it.
I guess you haven't read where religious institutions wouldn't be forced to marry people?

Churches now don't even have to perform the wedding of straight people so I don't see why gays would be any different.

There's actually a lot of gay people out there who tell people WHY they want to be married.

10 couples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:51 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,469,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Ah, but I accept any advance I get from a woman.

What about straight women like me that constantly have to say "No, thank you" to annoying and sometimes aggressive men???

Yes, that happens much more than gay guys hitting on straight guys. Think about it.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,241,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
What about straight women like me that constantly have to say "No, thank you" to annoying and sometimes aggressive men???

Yes, that happens much more than gay guys hitting on straight guys. Think about it.
Excellent point.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,742,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
To start, I wish you wouldn't make this about you, because it's not about you. It's not about your issues with public affection. And it's not really about public displays of affection. It's about heteros engaging in a specific behavior that is deemed unacceptable coming from homosexuals.
But that behavior is "unacceptable" no matter what it's source is.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,742,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post

I'm sorry that's happened to you. I'll admit it is a rarity, but it does make me uncomfortable when it happens. (When a gay guy hits on me...it's only happened once.) I wouldn't do that to someone else--I prefer it when women do the pursuing.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:10 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,469,175 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that's happened to you. I'll admit it is a rarity, but it does make me uncomfortable when it happens. (When a gay guy hits on me...it's only happened once.) I wouldn't do that to someone else--I prefer it when women do the pursuing.
That happens ALL the time to sooo many women. Your single experience is nothing compared to that, and I honestly doubt that all gay men want is to hit on straight men.
To use that experience as an excuse to be against gay men is pretty weak.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,241,792 times
Quote:
Holding hands is not unacceptable. The assertion is ludicrous.

eta: If you travel, you must cringe when you go to airports with all those loved ones greeting eachother with affection.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,358,121 times
Quote:
LOL...this has happened to me more than once while out at the bar. I have been bought drinks, hit on, and asked to dance. I always say no thanks and it is never a problem. I have even told some that I was not interested in them but if they wanted to join me for a drink and talk that it was okay. I have no problem talking to gay people, probably because I dont see them as gay, I see them as normal people who have different sexual preferances than I do.

When I see a couple showing affection in public, Hetero or not, I smile and think that the world would be better off if more people where as affectionate to their fellow mankind. Its a shame when people are told they cant display their love for eachother, why wouldnt you want the world to know that you are in love, is there something wrong with love? The only people I know that have a problem with PDA are single people or people who desire the same affection but do not get it.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,424,829 times
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with PDA's, in fact I think there should be more of it, as far as holding hands and a quick peck go.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:51 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,424,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
LOL...this has happened to me more than once while out at the bar. I have been bought drinks, hit on, and asked to dance. I always say no thanks and it is never a problem. I have even told some that I was not interested in them but if they wanted to join me for a drink and talk that it was okay. I have no problem talking to gay people, probably because I dont see them as gay, I see them as normal people who have different sexual preferances than I do.

When I see a couple showing affection in public, Hetero or not, I smile and think that the world would be better off if more people where as affectionate to their fellow mankind. Its a shame when people are told they cant display their love for eachother, why wouldnt you want the world to know that you are in love, is there something wrong with love? The only people I know that have a problem with PDA are single people or people who desire the same affection but do not get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates