Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,455,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
When you click on a person's username, a drop down menu appears and shows a profile option. You can click on that to see information rather than asssume. Any way, gender has nothing to do with it so I'm not sure why you bring it up; unless this thread is about to take another turn to address the bizarre personal issues of a different member (you). At least it's entertaining. Have it, jcinsov.
He's a weird one. I hope he starts a thread. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:18 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,388,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Okay I am so sick of people who are all about stopping the homosexual community from getting married and even having relationships with other homosexuals. How are they hurting you or anyone else by getting married or having a relationship with someone of the same sex?

If you cannot answer this question then you have no reason to pester these good people anymore. So go back to your bibles and close-minded lives and leave them alone.
Typical.
You have no understanding of those you differ with.
I'm against this gay foolishness because they don't really want marriage. And never have. Don't believe me? Research it. The world is confusing enough for those figuring things out.
Legalizing G marriage would only be the beginning. Lawsuits would be continuous especially concerning schools. Qu**r studies in kindergarten? Just wait and see.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,708,435 times
Right, because everyone wants to go to court to settle their differences...sure.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:27 PM

742 posts, read 1,230,951 times
well not you tk, yur a rugged individualist after all

Old 09-10-2009, 01:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Typical.
I'm against this gay foolishness because they don't really want marriage. And never have. Don't believe me? Research it. The world is confusing enough for those figuring things out.
Legalizing G marriage would only be the beginning. Lawsuits would be continuous especially concerning schools. Qu**r studies in kindergarten? Just wait and see.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:50 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,029,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Marriage is really a religious institution that is legally recognized. It shouldn't be surprising that we find the definition of what marriage should be in religion. Marriage symbolizes the forming of a family and, more importantly, in the past (when it was invented) to declare who the, legal and moral, father of the children is. It was a way for women, who could not take care of themselves to be taken care of. It established that a man was responsible for his wife and kids. Anymore, it's a pretty outdated concept.

First, many marriages fail and they're easy to get out of so the value is limited. Second we have DNA testing so we know who the daddy is. Third women can support themselves these days.

Personally, I don't get the attraction to get married if you're gay. There are legal doctuments you can draw up giving anyone you want the power of a spouse.
I don't think marriage is an outdated concept at all. Human nature doesn't change. When people signa a contract, they tend to take it more seriously becaue they know there will be a price to pay if they don't. Women who have kids without being married are much more likely to live in poverty and their kids are more likely to have emotional and behavioral problems. Married people tend to be happier than single or divorced people (although it's true, there are plently of exceptions to this rule). Married people are less likely to suffer from depression and tend to live longer and are healthier than single/divorced people.

As a gay person, I can assure you that there is nothing as seamless as a marriage contract. Drawing up those documents individually is expensive and does not hold as much weight legally as a marriage contract does.

It's also true that heterosexual couples benefit from things such as Social Security benfits and tax benefits (The so called 'marriage penalty' penalizes relatively few married couples).

I have a gay friend who had a legally recognized domestic partnership here in California. He put his partner on his health insurance policy. He had to pay extra income tax as a result because it is considered 'imputed income' by the IRS. Heterosexual couples do not have to pay extra income tax if they put their respective spouses on their health plans. This is just one example of why gays need marriage. I'm sure there are many more.

To a large degree, I share the sentiment of many that the government should not be involved in the marriage business at all. That would be my ideal. Since the government isn't likely to get out of the marriage business any time soon, the next best option is to allow gays to marry.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM

many homosexuals demands the designation of marriage purely for philosophical reasons. and by that i mean they know they can have the same rights with a civil union, but they have to get all political and make a statement

Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,420,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Typical.
There are an estimated 3 million committed gay/lesbian couples in the US, six million people, 6 million tax paying Citizens, denied the same rights I enjoy.

And "research it"? Fundie right-wing sources, perhaps?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:02 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,420,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
many homosexuals demands the designation of marriage purely for philosophical reasons. and by that i mean they know they can have the same rights with a civil union, but they have to get all political and make a statement
Civil Unions do NOT approach the thousand plus rights and privilages my wife and I enjoy from the moment we said "I do".

Not only don't Civil Unions contain anywhere near close to the number and types of rights and privilages, when someone laboring under such a monstrocity exits their home municipality, those limited rights and privilages eaporate, unless their destination just happens to recognize Civil Unions made in other areas of the country.

Also, "Seperate but Equal" was already attempted in this Nation, and we saw exactly how "equal" that was!

There is no valid, secular reason to deny gays, as tax paying citizens of this Nation, the right to choose to marry the consenting adult of their choice.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM

such as? give me examples.
secondly, as said they are more than welcome to a secular union, just don't call it by the religious designation of marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates