Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:25 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
exactly so, in fact it is kind of disturbing how many bleeeding hearts don;t believe that other races are CAPABLE of being racist.
I have known black racist all my life but it seems only lately that they are part of mainstream political thought. The furor over an old black preacher and an inconsequential political staffer making racist comments,makes you look at what Lawrence Otis did in a new light. He was the Black Harvard Lawyer who took a minimum wage job at an all white country club just to hear how prominent people talked about minorities. They made racist remarks in his presence as if he wasn't there. The housing unit for busboys was always refered to as "The Monkey House" Is there a higher standard for black people? Is there less tolerance for black racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 04:00 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
I think Black nationalism arose from a very valid and basic desire to advocate for your right to be treated fairley and with respect. The Original Black panthers were not oriented towards "racism" as the Fox News crowd believes, but using the American system to thrust the issue of equality into view. Same w/ the NAACP.

However, there is a difference btw Blacks forming nationalist groups to fight inequality, to taking the next step and essentaly assigning behaviors and traits to people based on race. To me, that's when the moral legitamacy goes away. Most American whites descend from peoples who came here long after slavery ceased to exist. And even those who were here, many did not own slaves. You can't argue, as many liberals do, that there is "No such thing as "White People" and at the same time blame anything that goes wrong in a minority community on said "White People" Either you believe whites also have a racial identity, or you don't. It's that simple. If you believe the former, then it would be hypocrtical to say one is accpetable and morally legit (Non-white racial awareness) and another abhorrent (White racial awareness).

Note: I am not trying to defend white nationalism, but simply point out the hypocracy of the argument as it currently exists. I have no problem w/ the idea that historically disadvantaged groups may feel the need to advocate on their behalf, who here wouldn't if put in that situation? But the kind of things that Van Jones or Rev Wright say are stupid, and they know it. I don't see how calling white kids more prone to be school shooters helps advance equality and tolerance, cuase after all, it's not like Black people commit crimes of disgusting violence.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:35 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I have known black racist all my life but it seems only lately that they are part of mainstream political thought. The furor over an old black preacher and an inconsequential political staffer making racist comments,makes you look at what Lawrence Otis did in a new light. He was the Black Harvard Lawyer who took a minimum wage job at an all white country club just to hear how prominent people talked about minorities. They made racist remarks in his presence as if he wasn't there. The housing unit for busboys was always refered to as "The Monkey House" Is there a higher standard for black people? Is there less tolerance for black racist?
i think theres far too much tolerance for black racists, in part because the masses of whites are too afraid to be labeled racist themselves if they point it out.
watch tv, how many times on a tv show or movie is there a black character making subtle racist comments that people do not even notice anymore. conversely, if i see a white actor even HINT at bias, i am shocked it made it through the bleeding hearts club censors.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
African American racist go back to the David Walker Manifesto in the 1840’s and the Stono Rebellion. As the turn of the century came Black Nationalism became the catch phrase. The first Black Muslims and Black Panther Party member are aging old men and suddenly to be a Black racist is a threatening thing? Reverend Wright nearly derailed a presidential campaign and Van Jones ousted for racist comments.
What happened to the days when Roosevelt reportedly rubbed shoulders with the Klan and Johnson throwing the “N” word around the White House casually or Klan members running for political office? What happened to the days when Powerful White racist were tolerated by some and admired by others and Black racist were certainly not threatening, but to some extent seen as “inspiring” to the liberal cause?
Have we come far enough as a nation to no more categorize racism by ethnicity?
My question… if you decide to accept it is:
Are Black racist more or less threatening to the social fabric of American society than White Racist or are they equally as threatning?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Ome thing that many people do not realize is that non Hispanic Blacks are a diminishing minority percentage wise here in the USA between (now) low birthrates, higher death rates (both from crime and disease) as well as more and more biracial kids no longer self identifying as AA.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Quote:
i think theres far too much tolerance for black racists, in part because the masses of whites are too afraid to be labeled racist themselves if they point it out.
watch tv, how many times on a tv show or movie is there a black character making subtle racist comments that people do not even notice anymore. conversely, if i see a white actor even HINT at bias, i am shocked it made it through the bleeding hearts club censors.
It's mainstream now to bash whites, every goverment agency, big corporation, small company has rules about racist jokes....Yet redneck and blonde jokes are ok....?????? They are both racist against white people....

Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,785 times
Default To answer the original question...

Yes, another dumb race thread.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Yes, another dumb race thread.
from your username i am guessing you value intelligence over looks, am i right?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
It's mainstream now to bash whites, every goverment agency, big corporation, small company has rules about racist jokes....Yet redneck and blonde jokes are ok....?????? They are both racist against white people....
yup exactly right, as i said if you point it out, you are either called a racist or mocked and told to lighten up.

its funny its perfectly okay to say "black women are sexy" but say "white men are intelligent" and you are a Klansman

Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,785 times
Quote:
from your username i am guessing you value intelligence over looks, am i right?
Actually I prefer both to be above average.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Allow me to confirm that this is indeed another dumb, not idiotic, race thread.

I didn't need to go beyond the first sentence.

David Walker did not write an Manifesto rather an appeal, as for being "racist".

What nation under heaven, will be able to do any thing with us, unless God gives us up into its hand? But Americans. I declare to you, while you keep us and our children in bondage, and treat us like brutes, to make us support you and your families, we cannot be your friends. You do not look for it do you? Treat us then like men, and we will be your friends. And there is not a doubt in my mind, but that the whole of the past will be sunk into oblivion, and we yet, under God, will become a united and happy people. The whites may say it is impossible, but remember that nothing is impossible with God.
From David Walker's Appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates