Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:53 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
it is racism to state " 70 percent of crime in America is committed by those of African descent"?
is it racist to say 30% of America's crime is committed by its most privileged citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 10:19 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
it is racism to state " 70 percent of crime in america is committed by those of African descent"?
It's more racist to think that 100 percent of those of African descent commit 70 percent of those crimes! That seems to be the case that most non-blacks subconsciously fail to realize, or better yet don't want to recognize.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
It is rational for a person with a human intellect to make observations of the world around him, and to apply a logical sense of causality to that. Whatever conclusions you arrive at, then, are fair and honest, even if not necessarily correct (owing to imperfect data gathering and analysis flow).

But it IS unfair and dishonest to embrace any assumptions that are NOT based on the above rational process, whether you exhibit racism or anti-racism.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
It's more racist to think that 100 percent of those of African descent commit 70 percent of those crimes! That seems to be the case that most non-blacks subconsciously fail to realize, or better yet don't want to recognize.

We only know the percentage of black defendants who are convicted of reported and solved crimes. We have only a rough idea of now many crimes are committed, black defendants are convicted far more often than white ones, and black defendants are aggressively prosecuted more often than white ones, and black defendants are offered a plea bargain less often than white ones, and black suspects are arrested far more often than white ones.

Each step allong the way exaggerates the statistical imbalance in the number or blacks in the system, until you can use number of convictions to conclude unjustifiably that blacks commit more crimes.

However, it is also true that far more blacks are growing up and living in neighborhood where there are more opportunities to commit crimes, less disencintive to a life of crime, and fewer opportunities to escape a criminal environment. The number of people who have the ambition and the energy to escape from a disadvantaged upbringing is small in all social groups, so blacks, more often living in crime-prone envionments, are more often trapped there by inertia to spend their lives with exposure to crime opportunities and incentives.

The simple fact is that, given an equal amount of ambition and determination to better himself, a white neighborhood kid is a lot more likely to land on his feet and survive bad judgment, than a kid who grows up in a black neighborhood.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-13-2009 at 05:54 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,967 times
I would think a plea bargain would depend on the viciousness of the crime. I would rather see someone who commits a violent crime do maximum time in jail as opposed to someone who commits a white collar crime or a misdemeanor.It has been stated that 70% of violent crimes are committed by black males(mostly black on black), perhaps this is why approx 70% of the prison population is black. I guess some people are just smart enough to get themselves in trouble.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I would think a plea bargain would depend on the viciousness of the crime.
The number of felonies of violence that would meet any reasonable criteria of "vicious" is extremely small, and can be discarded from the sample used for the discussion. Robberies and thefts and burglaries are rarely vicious, A majority of rapes are crimes of opportunity, where the perpetrator, often influenced by alcohol, got in over his head what what he thought would a cooperative partner. Even most homicides are relatively non-vicious, with the perp trying to remove the victim from this world in a somewhat painless fashion.

A vicious crime is conspicuous from the general appearance of the victim, and those are rarely, if ever, offered a plea bargain. But they represent only a fraction of one percent of all prosecutions. Virtually all of them are then offered a plea-bargain, but I wil bet that plea-bargains offered to white defendents are a lot more attractive than those offered to blacks, because the prosecutor knows how much harder it is to go to jury and convict a white defendant. Which, as you well know, is the only reason anybody is ever offered a plea bargain.

What happens in a plea bargain is this, by the way. The prosecutor has a basic charge, but piles on a bunch of additional charges, and then offers to take them back off again if the deffendant pleads guilty to what he actually is alleged to have done. The result is that a majority of all defendants get the sentence their crime would probably deserve (if they committed it in the first place), but they have to give up their right to trial by jury in order to get it.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:23 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Let's face it, it's like banging your head against a wall w/ some folks on this issue. Many American whites want to make black people the boogeyman, and any statistic they feel can legitamize those feelings become gospel.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Let's face it, it's like banging your head against a wall w/ some folks on this issue. Many American whites want to make black people the boogeyman, and any statistic they feel can legitamize those feelings become gospel.
You're right---they become Gospel. Which means, in real life, that they become subject to the self-serving interests of those who interpret them and then quote them as if their interpretation is absolute truth. Just like the Gospels.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:28 AM

78,351 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Many? Whites?

Who is the wealthiest and most popular entertainer in the US?
Who is our president? He won the election easily in a country full of whites...

I'm not naive, I have an uncle that is fairly racist although he has gotten a lot better over the years. However, the WORST stuff I hear lately is from minorities about OTHER minorities.

I'm just saying that I don't put up with any racism and I find it rather sad that people will complain about white racism and then turn around and make cracks about asians, mexicans etc. I knew A LOT of koreans in college and they were worse than my aforementioned uncle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates