Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:10 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Constitution permits everything except that which is specifically and constitutionally prohibited. That, as I recall, is the difference between Common Code and Napoleonic Code.

The government can do whatever it wants, subject to challenge if the action is found to be in violation of a specific constitutional restriction. Income tax is provided for in the XVI Amendment. The government can raise as much revenue as it likes, and spend it as it pleases, unless the Constitution specifically prohibits such expenditure.

So, whre does it say they CAN'T do what you described?
That is true except for the federal level. The 10th amendment flips that, limiting the federal gov't to powers explicitly granted. All other powers fall to the States or the people.

Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 03:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
I am not disputing that the Constitution gives Congress the right to tax and everything else you quote above. But where does it say Congress can take money from you and me and give it to private corporations. Come on man!

And okay as to the playing me

By the way, how do you multi quote other posters like you did here? I cannot figure it out.
Congress, when empowered to act, justifies its actions as being in the best interests of the nation, which we all hope they will always do. It's incumbent on the citizenry to advise and consent to that.

I multiquote by going back and setting 'quote' again, and use cut/paste to move the second quote into the text field along with the first one. I usually save one first, and then edit my response to add in the second, so I don't lose it. But I didn't do that in this thread, Stanman did, and I don't know how he did it, which turns out different.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:14 PM

You can multi-quote fairly easily. At the lower right of any post, there is an icon with quotation marks, next to the icon that says "quote". Click that on each of the posts you want to quote. You can edit them by shortening or whatever (please do so ethically).

The second quote in my previous post, I simply typed in the text I wanted, and put in at the beginning the word quote surrounded by square brackets -- [ and ], and then at the end of the quote you type /quote surrounded by the same brackets.

Quote:
When you do that it looks like this.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
I am not disputing that the Constitution gives Congress the right to tax and everything else you quote above. But where does it say Congress can take money from you and me and give it to private corporations. Come on man!

And okay as to the playing me

By the way, how do you multi quote other posters like you did here? I cannot figure it out.

I just told you where it did. When you leave the country and either become a citizen of another nation-state or move to an area of which there is no claim then you have broken the contract.

See, you want to play the sovereign citizen and that won't fly. You cannot stand the social contract and you cannot leave it (for whatever your reasons) and that, my friend, is called cynicism.

Quote:
Well excuuuuuuse me for not quoting Kant directly. I was going by memory and thinking more conceptually where as you seem to be a too the letter thinker. Me bad.
Had that been conceptual it would have been better to have offered a rebuttel to Kant. To take from a piece that is setting the stage for the social contract did not do anything but denote the inability to follow through. My thinking is only to "the letter" when necessary.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 AM

768 posts, read 1,087,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
You can multi-quote fairly easily. At the lower right of any post, there is an icon with quotation marks, next to the icon that says "quote". Click that on each of the posts you want to quote. You can edit them by shortening or whatever (please do so ethically).

The second quote in my previous post, I simply typed in the text I wanted, and put in at the beginning the word quote surrounded by square brackets -- [ and ], and then at the end of the quote you type /quote surrounded by the same brackets.
I am still not getting it. When I click on the multi quote button, it goes red but no area comes up for me to reply like when you click on the quote button. So then do I highlight the line I want to quote? Do I still use the quote button as well.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I just told you where it did. When you leave the country and either become a citizen of another nation-state or move to an area of which there is no claim then you have broken the contract.

See, you want to play the sovereign citizen and that won't fly. You cannot stand the social contract and you cannot leave it (for whatever your reasons) and that, my friend, is called cynicism.

Had that been conceptual it would have been better to have offered a rebuttel to Kant. To take from a piece that is setting the stage for the social contract did not do anything but denote the inability to follow through. My thinking is only to "the letter" when necessary.
I don't know if you are intentionally being allusive or if you are just stonewalling, but I still don't see it.

You may not consider yourself sovereign, and that is fine.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I am still not getting it. When I click on the multi quote button, it goes red but no area comes up for me to reply like when you click on the quote button. So then do I highlight the line I want to quote? Do I still use the quote button as well.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You click the multi-quote button on the post you want to quote, then you click on "post reply," and it will bring up the regular reply box with the posts you want to quote loaded in it. You then edit the posts down to the lines you want and type your response. Any text that is between the bracketed quote boxes will appear inside the box when you submit your reply, also if you click "preview post. You can add your own bracketed quote commands wherever necessary.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You click the multi-quote button on the post you want to quote, then you click on "post reply," and it will bring up the regular reply box with the posts you want to quote loaded in it. You then edit the posts down to the lines you want and type your response. Any text that is between the bracketed quote boxes will appear inside the box when you submit your reply, also if you click "preview post. You can add your own bracketed quote commands wherever necessary.
Thank you Stan, but how do I do multiple quotes. I'm sorry I am not the most computer savy person

Old 09-18-2009, 09:20 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
I don't know if you are intentionally being allusive or if you are just stonewalling, but I still don't see it.

You may not consider yourself sovereign, and that is fine.
And your obtuse. Now we are even.

From the top:

When you turned 18 you were afforded the same rights and responsibilities as every citizen of this nation-state which is based on the social contract which gives you the right and obligation for a revolution providing that you prove usurpations and abuses.

Further, you have enjoyed the opportunities provided by this social contract.

How do we know that you accept? You still live here and still enjoy those opportunities.

This contract is in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (Federal limitations).

The fact that you stated that the 10th Amendment had been violated, verbally, expresses that you consider yourself to be the people. Therefore, part and parcel of that social contract.

Now, in order for that to be proven it would have been necessary for Congress to operate outside of the limits as provided within the Constitution. They did not. Your Rights have not been violated. Nor would it have been necessary to hunt you down and ask for your approval.

Now, you may stand there and chant, "I do believe in fairies! I do! I do!" Repeating it does not make it true.

Case dismissed.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you Stan, but how do I do multiple quotes. I'm sorry I am not the most computer savy person
I seem to be having some difficulty explaining it clearly. You might have better luck in the FAQ forum, down in the Administrative section. They are very good at answering your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates