Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:45 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My El Salvadoran neighbor was astonished when somebody asked him how he celebrates Cinco de Mayo. That's like asking an Australian how they celebrate the Fourth of July.

In fact, when I returned to the US with my Canadian wife, she was invited to join a women's social circle. The first day, she just stood there and watched them all recite the Pledge of Allegiance. They were dumbstruck, and she explained that she's Canadian. They asked "Don't you say the Pledge of Allegiance in Canada?"
What a weird woman's circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I'm asking because the face of the USA is changing.
The immigrants who came to the USA in the 1700's - 1800's and early 1900's assimilated into American culture.
Yet today, when people come here they find niches in this country and carry forth the culture they had where they came from and don't attempt to assimilate into American culture. One excuse I have heard many give is that America doesn't have a culture.
Our nation allows people to come to this country from every nation on the planet to live "the American Dream". When many of these people come here they carry on the same cultural standards where they came from. They don't attempt to integrate into American society.
Where do you see this nation in 30 years?
Hyphenated Americans... Haitian/Americans, Mexican/Americans, Armenian/Americans, etc...
At what point does a person become an American?
I do understand that the first generation of immigrants usually cling to the culture where they came from but there are people who have lived here for 50 years who do not speak English or attempt to assimilate and continue to see Americans as foreigners when a person out of their culture ventures into their comfortable segregated city block.
The face of this nation is changing.
Discuss.
America is built on immigration.
You honestly think that today's culture is the same one 50 years ago? 100, 200 years ago? You think that they just drop everything from their old culture? Of course not.
In 50 years, the culture in America will be very different to the one we see today.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
What a weird woman's circle.
In my experience, most social groups that have formal meetings, like Boy Scouts, Rotary, things like that, open their meetings with the Pledge of Allegiance.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
In 50 years some will change but the vast majority will be pretty much the same. The culture of the majority hasn't changed that much really in the last 50 years.We have the same cultural conflicts as then and we tend to group with people with the same values. In fact we are even more mobile to be able to do this now days. Look at the flight in all races to avoid the conflict in cities.Gangs have gotten stronger only in certain areas that have been abandoned by teh strongest grups i society which often is determined by wealth. First thing most people who make do is to move out of their group.The rich immagrant moves into another culture as he makes it most often now days and adapts that groups standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates