Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:58 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Sure I did. In college. You're confusing subsequent and consequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Well, being hit by a car is not a choice either. The details were not given, but it may have been a consequence of trying to deal with someone who was upset by the choices made by the individual involved. The OP may post more information and tell us the circumstances if he wishes to make the case that getting hit by a car was a choice.

A choice motivates an action or behavior.

The consequence is what happens as a result of those actions.

i.e., If I choose to do A, then the result/consequence is B.

B is not the choice, but follows as a direct result of having chose to do A.

Two different things.

(Geeze, didn't anyone ever take a logic course or learn cause and effect?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 03:20 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Would there be a Harvey Milk day if he hadn't been martyred? I mean, would any one really give a crap. Geez, I wonder when California is going to fall into the ocean, what a bunch of nuts!!!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Well, being hit by a car is not a choice either. The details were not given, but it may have been a consequence of trying to deal with someone who was upset by the choices made by the individual involved. The OP may post more information and tell us the circumstances if he wishes to make the case that getting hit by a car was a choice.

A choice motivates an action or behavior.

The consequence is what happens as a result of those actions.

i.e., If I choose to do A, then the result/consequence is B.

B is not the choice, but follows as a direct result of having chose to do A.

Two different things.

(Geeze, didn't anyone ever take a logic course or learn cause and effect?)

I'll elaborate a little more. A very close friend of mine 'came out' to his family and they told him to leave just shy of his 15th birthday. He was quite literally thrown out on the street, but luckily my parents were there to take him in. My mom was really excited to finally have a gay son .

A few years later, after zero communication from his family (except his younger brother) he went to talk to his parents. His dad was leaving for work (he planned it that way, since he didn't just want to knock on the door and say surprise) and his dad looked at him, calmly got in the truck, locked the door and backed into his son who was trying to wave him down, then drove away never looking back.

He just turned 26 last week and is doing quite well for himself but has not spoken a word to either of his parents in over 10 years.

Yep. He chose that.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
.....and his dad looked at him, calmly got in the truck, locked the door and backed into his son who was trying to wave him down, then drove away never looking back.

...I hope he wasn't hurt too bad.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Would there be a Harvey Milk day if he hadn't been martyred? I mean, would any one really give a crap. Geez, I wonder when California is going to fall into the ocean, what a bunch of nuts!!!
Would there have been a Martin Luther King day if he wasn't martyred?

I doubt it. Not saying he wouldn't have been an influential figure in history, but he wouldn't have had his own day probably.

After all, we don't have a Rosa Parks day now do we?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
Quote:
I'll elaborate a little more. A very close friend of mine 'came out' to his family and they told him to leave just shy of his 15th birthday. He was quite literally thrown out on the street, but luckily my parents were there to take him in. My mom was really excited to finally have a gay son .

A few years later, after zero communication from his family (except his younger brother) he went to talk to his parents. His dad was leaving for work (he planned it that way, since he didn't just want to knock on the door and say surprise) and his dad looked at him, calmly got in the truck, locked the door and backed into his son who was trying to wave him down, then drove away never looking back.

He just turned 26 last week and is doing quite well for himself but has not spoken a word to either of his parents in over 10 years.
It must be a real mind-f*ck to be rejected by ones parents like that.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Yep. He chose that.

Your Mom was really excited to have a gay son?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:22 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Well, if we hadn't had all you non-Californians move on in to get a piece of the action during the last 30 years, California would still be a nice place. But now those of us who were born in California are surrounded by people like you. Gosh, when are the rest of the states going to fall into the ocean? What a bunch of weirdos.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:33 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
I'm not for any kind of sex orientation agenda taught at school, be it Hetero - Homo or even your Bi agenda. It should be strictly a parental thing and not someone's figurative phalluscey shoved down anothers throat.
But a number of parents teach their children to fear and hate homosexuals and then carry that to school with them and other children there who act like the way homosexuals are perceived to act catch their wrath.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
So where does all this controversy and hatred against homosexuals and homosexuality come from, anyway? Is it because most straights find the sex acts that homosexuals may do to be grossly repugnant to their senses? Straights can't comprehend gay people wanting to do such acts and so end up fearing and/or hating them? Specifically, these grossly offensive sex acts (at least to some) could be oral anal sex and anal intercourse.

Personally, I think it's simply none of my business what willing, loving sex partners do in private and what they do is no basis for fearing or hating them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates