Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:36 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?
How many of the top stars in Bolliwood are Latina? There aren't that many asians in the US for starters.

Also, Lucy Liu was named People magazines sexiest woman a while back.

Top 5 Asian Actresses in Hollywood

FYI - Sandra Oh is not attractive.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is America in 2009. Asian-American actors can play any part, from doctors to drug addicts. If the role is for a "funny best friend" or "sarcastic lawyer" what does the ethnicity of the actor matter?
Yes, it's still only 2009. Although I've not programmed myself to notice such things, it looks to me like people still tend to hang out within their own cultural subgroup. That might not the the way it is in New York City or San Francisco, but there are a lot of movies that take place in small-town Texas or the coast of Maine, where if you wanted an Asian, you'd have to fly one in. Or use the local doctor.

To be quite honest, I'm quite annoyed by the media's insistence on portraying a cultural mixing in this country that is simply not taking place down on the ground. Camera shot of a child's birthday party in a commercial. The child's party guests include one black, one hispanic, one asian. Get real. Dad has his buddies over for a night of poker. One black guy. Come on.

I live in a city that is 10% black, I used to live in one that was 50% black. I've never seen a table in a restaurant with people who were both black and white, except maybe lunch time where co-workers went together. Maybe in NYC or SF, but not out here where people watch TV and go to movies.

I have four black college girls sharing two apartments in my building. They have no white friends. None. If this was a movie, it would be a white girl and a black girl sharing an apartment. But it's not a movie.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-23-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
it's also a cultural thing and every culture has a foundation or focus. asians have their own story in asia, just as westerners do in the west. it's like a parallel universe. you will not find just regular, normal, pretty asian celebrities (which in many ways represent the attractive people within thier societies) like this in the western world because it's not their territory, it's the west's territory to make sure they shine and that's natural. asians are usually portrayed as very caricature like and almost demeaningly as ugly or overly slutty because that is how they see asians. this is akin to asians pegging the average traditional white person (like a southern baptist preacher and his wife) as the standard representation of all whites and what they are or some loud mouthed tourist who wears a fannypack etc. it's obviously natural but a bit skewed to do so either way. asians are also depicted as not even normal most of the time but as geishas, sluts, whores, the nerdy bucktoothed guy (western counterpoint: toothless hillbilly or redneck) etc, or jackie chan type. that's okay as asians are a peripheral "character" in thier universe/reality/perception. some westerners can't conceive that attractive asians exist. the western world has been defined to exclude that reality.

there are tons of attractive and even gorgeous asian celebrities all over asia, from china to japan. can't possibly list them all, it's extensive.

http://www.showwallpaper.com/external/Korean_Star/Han_Ga_In/Han_Ga_In_050079.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by rory00; 10-23-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 01:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?
I believe its because American men get the idea that Asian women are quiet, and serve their husbands every whim.

That kind of attitude doesn't come off well on the big screen. Its easier for a loud mouthed woman to make it out there. If an Asian woman did decide to be loud mouthed, it would just ruin the perception, and then she isn't sexy then either.

Double edged sword.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 PM

asians also laugh (amongst themselves of course) that americans find lucy lui attractive. asians know she really isn't. there are FAR more attractive asian celebrities in asia. it makes me chuckle a little too when i think about it because it's kind of like being duped. the fact is though, most asians can't tell an attractive white from an unattractive one in asia too so it goes both ways to some extent.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Actually, Indian women are in general more beautiful than Pacific Rim Asians, but there are none of them at all in American films, but a few in British pictures. In India, people think American women are more beautiful than Indian, and an Indian "beauty" can get traction only if she looks rather Western. Indian film stars and model are very western-looking. Same phenomenon applies in Latin America.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:14 PM

mixedasians.com

the above link, you will notice some who look more caucasian and those who don't. some are attractive, some are not and it has no bearing on whether they look one race or another.

It's also a myth that being mixed always means you will be more attractive whichever side your looks veer because the technical truth is there are attractive, average and unattractive people of all races.

perfect example is the guy above who is not mixed but he looks better than most mixed people (imo).

Last edited by rory00; 10-23-2009 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually, Indian women are in general more beautiful than Pacific Rim Asians, but there are none of them at all in American films, but a few in British pictures. In India, people think American women are more beautiful than Indian, and an Indian "beauty" can get traction only if she looks rather Western. Indian film stars and model are very western-looking. Same phenomenon applies in Latin America.
I'm glad you brought up that point because I can understand from both perspectives. When I state that a group is not attractive or appealing, I am referring in context of other's tastes or group opinion or majority opinion.

As strange as it may be to mainstream opinion or viewpoints, I prefer the metrosexual or even effeminate look of asian men. I like the cutsey look of asian women or rather adolescent like faces and rather just thinner or less curvacious bodies. I also like the slanted eyes (it looks very cool and sharp to me), the contrast of the light skin and dark straight hair (as straight as possible and almost blue/black) and rather angular features. this is not traditional ideals of attractiveness.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, it's still only 2009. Although I've not programmed myself to notice such things, it looks to me like people still tend to hang out within their own cultural subgroup. That might not the the way it is in New York City or San Francisco, but there are a lot of movies that take place in small-town Texas or the coast of Maine, where if you wanted an Asian, you'd have to fly one in. Or use the local doctor.

To be quite honest, I'm quite annoyed by the media's insistence on portraying a cultural mixing in this country that is simply not taking place down on the ground. Camera shot of a child's birthday party in a commercial. The child's party guests include one black, one hispanic, one asian. Get real. Dad has his buddies over for a night of poker. One black guy. Come on.

I live in a city that is 10% black, I used to live in one that was 50% black. I've never seen a table in a restaurant with people who were both black and white, except maybe lunch time where co-workers went together. Maybe in NYC or SF, but not out here where people watch TV and go to movies.

I have four black college girls sharing two apartments in my building. They have no white friends. None. If this was a movie, it would be a white girl and a black girl sharing an apartment. But it's not a movie.
Some progress has been made with diversity in Atlanta. Change comes slowly--lots of discussions on race/diversity in the Atlanta forum helped somewhat, I believe. Several years ago --threads had to be closed because of 'strong emotions' when these topics were brought up. The consensus was that Atlanta 'self-segregates' more by 'Class'/economic status--not likely to change that much? We don't know. Some level of 'tolerance' has been reached. A rather painful process, I might add.

We seem to know each other over there now and can be less intense.

If internet discussions can help--I'm in favor of this means of communication.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 PM

i think he is hot. he has a metrosexual look.

YouTube - Why I love asian guys!

this girl "gets" it. she has similar views and tastes. i'm using this as an example not that i'm encouraging race mixing or not.

people think attractiveness is only defined by the majority when that isn't true, it's just more common. sometimes the fringe becomes the majority and vice versa, it doesn't negate the validity of itself either way. for example, there was a time when fat people were considered the most attractive way back when. we don't see it that way now.

most forms of what is considered attractive are rather down to earth which is not surprising but some like looks that are on the extremes. i like the extreme look of asians though it's understandable if others don't.

it depends on your perspective and where you are coming from that will determine what you think is more or less attractive as it veers closer or furthest from your angle of perspective or taste. i really like sharp and angular features and even punk and goth subcultures. my tastes in home decoration also reflect that as i like spartan and very contemporary style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates