Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:52 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times

Advertisements

IMO, Woody Allen married Soon Yi because it was the only way to save his career. By marrying her, he wiped away the "Yuck, he was banging his own daughter" stench away from his name. I'm quite sure that if it weren't for the public scrutiny, he would have been happy to continue keeping her as his personal concubine. Of course he's not going to put Asian women in his movies in a romantic role; he does not see them in that way.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:15 PM

354 posts, read 749,559 times
is woody allen the ONLY director in hollywood? what's with the obsession of woody allen anyway in this thread. personally, i believe he is over rated. never liked any of his films. to the OP: my answer to ur question is that racism is the main reason why. but i believe zang ziyi has accomplished the top movie star in her crouching tiger days. that movie was really amazing! and i believe it did won on oscar for zang ziyi and as best picture. she herself said that movie has got her loads of offers in hollywood! she just did not grab all of them since she does not wanna be typecast as all the offers are like her role in crouching tiger. how VERY hollywood.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
i think it's because there just isn't many asians in the west is the main reason. if there was a whole lot of asians in the west, they would probably have thier own tv station by now and more stars. i also think the point brought up about woody allen and his films is realistic. if this were reversed, just because an asian is married to a nonasian in asia, doesn't mean they are necessarily going to put nonasians in thier films or projects for it's own sake. they are going to appeal to the larger demographic and what sells.

they have many entertainers and stars in asia because there are more of them of course.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:06 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,007 times
Appeal to the majority, most likely...

Plus, I don't think Asian families in American want their children to become actors (cultural, etc), so that already limits the pool of availability.

And if Asians want to act, they would probably go back to their own countries as it's a lot easier to get roles (again, appealing to the majority).

I'm not sure about you guys, but I really dislike the American adaption of Asian movies, especially the horror ones....casting an Asian in one of those movies wouldn't do it justice or boost its ratings either way :X

Old 02-23-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
i think it's because there just isn't many asians in the west is the main reason. if there was a whole lot of asians in the west, they would probably have thier own tv station by now and more stars.
Depends on your location in the West I know that if you head out to the west coast, you would find asian tv stations in those states

Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 AM

354 posts, read 749,559 times
lelune: as in LOCAL tv station? anyway filipino channels are available on cable. and whatever channel in your origin country is available on cable now. as i see in direct tv where they have russian,chinese,malaysian and other foreign channel but to have a local tv station?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
lelune: as in LOCAL tv station? anyway filipino channels are available on cable. and whatever channel in your origin country is available on cable now. as i see in direct tv where they have russian,chinese,malaysian and other foreign channel but to have a local tv station?
Sure, I know a local tv station that caters to Asians in the US

But I thought tv station in general?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:40 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
is woody allen the ONLY director in hollywood? what's with the obsession of woody allen anyway in this thread. personally, i believe he is over rated. never liked any of his films.
It you don't understand his appeal, it suggests you know little of urban American culture.

Watch him again when you are older and independent. You'll then see than his appeal is transcendent and extends to all urbanites.

S.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?
Asian American women have been discriminated against in Hollywood for quite some time now, so that is the reason why you don't see many in the movie industry much less movie stars like Julia Roberts, Angelina Joie. Many are going to Asia in order to start their movie careers. Only in the past few years do you see it improving. Hopefully, in the years to come, there will be more visible roles for them.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:36 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
This really isn't a "Great Debates" topic, so I'm closing the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates