Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM

11 posts, read 18,263 times

Advertisements

I think Sandra Oh is an incredible actress who can play a wide range of characters and has the ability to bring out the emotions of an audience. Lucy Liu is very pretty, but I don't find our acting anything special.

I think we will gradually see more roles for Asian actresses as we get more Asian screenplay writers and more parts are written for them. I think we have slowly seemed other groups become more prominent in their film roles.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
This does beg a question, though. What if Sandra Oh had played Thelma or Louise, or the hairdresser to the Steel Magnolias? Would the audience have cared that she was Asian? Or would she have meshed perfectly right into the script? If you were financing the big budget picture, would you take the chance?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:26 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This does beg a question, though. What if Sandra Oh had played Thelma or Louise, or the hairdresser to the Steel Magnolias? Would the audience have cared that she was Asian? Or would she have meshed perfectly right into the script? If you were financing the big budget picture, would you take the chance?
No, she wouldn't mesh right because of the context of the films.

if it was some recent film in LA possibly.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
No, she wouldn't mesh right because of the context of the films.

if it was some recent film in LA possibly.
There are Asians living everywhere today, Little Rock and Natchitoches (the setting of those two films) included, and have been for many years. Furthermore, their kids are the valedictorians of their high school classes. I can recall nothing in the context of either film that would preclude an Asian woman from being in that real life situation. Even Hank Hill has an Asian next door neighbor in Arlen.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:15 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasusBelli View Post
you know, the world does not revolve around the US. Since this is not an asian country, I would not be surprised to see that there are no top movie stars in Hollywood of asian descent.
I still think there should be more and not the same 2-3 they drag out ALL of the time. They should open up and let people of more ethnicities get good roles (that will actually do well in the box office).

Old 10-27-2009, 05:27 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Default What is bueaty?

What does it mean? We are force fed what others are serving. So the question is who is selling and who is buying? What does it mean, who is in the most movies , and does that make them beautiful?

Old 10-27-2009, 05:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Is "beauty" a requirement for acting? Christopher Walken, Ray Winstone, Steve Buscemi--are these really "attractive" men by anyone's standards? But they're not bad actors, not bad at all.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are Asians living everywhere today, Little Rock and Natchitoches (the setting of those two films) included, and have been for many years. Furthermore, their kids are the valedictorians of their high school classes. I can recall nothing in the context of either film that would preclude an Asian woman from being in that real life situation. Even Hank Hill has an Asian next door neighbor in Arlen.
Good point. Still somehow a Korean-American actress playing one of the characters in "Steel Magnolias" somehow doesn't feel right to me. I feel like the characters are somewhat rooted in the South and although there are Asian-Americans rooted to the South I think it would be difficult to make it work right. There's too great a risk that "look an Asian-American with a Southern accent", as such characters are still rare in film, would become too great a distraction from the story. (Hank Hill's neighbor lived in Orange County before moving to Arlen and only develops a bit of a Texan twang) Although it's a different accent the Japanese-American in "Fargo" was clearly intended to be funny, in part, because he was a Japanese-American with that Minnesota accent.

Thelma and Louise I think could work though or work better anyway. There's a bit of regionalism in it, but from what I recall it's not important in quite the same way. I think Sandra Oh could convincingly portray a scorned woman in a buddy/road type movie.

It can go the reverse though. Replace any of the actresses in "The Joy Luck Club" with a white woman and the story doesn't work or doesn't work in the same way. Some roles are just culturally or ethnically specific. Although many or most others aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Is "beauty" a requirement for acting? Christopher Walken, Ray Winstone, Steve Buscemi--are these really "attractive" men by anyone's standards? But they're not bad actors, not bad at all.
I think it's more desired of a woman than a man and of a "lead actor" than a "character actor." Men in starring roles I think are, generally, attractive or at least adequate. For women I think the pressure is greater. A woman who is not so good looking can get a lead role, but I think it's harder. That's sexist, but I think there's some truth in it.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They're character actors. They're not up for the same type of roles as George Clooney, Matt Damon, or Jake Gyllenhaal.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?
It is interesting that in Japanese video games and anime (made for the Japanese market), the "ideal" babe almost always shows up as some blonde haired, blue eyed cacausoid-ish girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates