Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?
Asian women desirable...

?

I dont get it...

I prefer a women with curves, tall, and round eyes.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:22 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Furthermore, their kids are the valedictorians of their high school classes.
Is that a prerequisite to being an asian child? That they be the valedictorians of their high school classes?

Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Asian women desirable...

?

I dont get it...

i think the op was being facetious because there were no threads having to do with asians and everyone knows asians are not popular types of people around the world. it's europeans, mulattoes, south americans etc who are considered more desirable by most.

edit: some places have a niche that does but not in general.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:47 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
Is that a prerequisite to being an asian child? That they be the valedictorians of their high school classes?
Actually yes... well it depends on what nationality Asian they are. However an Asian child knows that nothing would make their parents prouder or happier than if they were the valedictorian of their class. With other races, having the top grades seems not to be very important to their parents. In some families, they might prefer having their sons do well in sports or their daughters be on the cheerleading squad or become the prom queen.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:50 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
I'm sure it has been said somewhere in the last 14 pages but...

desirability = acting ability?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:45 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?
Because the female idols America has set up for itself , are those with : plumped-up lips from botox treatments , larger breasts from gel implants , belly fat / thigh fat / buttocks fat reduction from lipo-suction , noses / chins from chisel-jobs, face thinning from food starvation , wrinkle reduction from lazer surgery, added hair from someone else and dyed a different color , and facial makeup from dipping into multiple paint cans .

It goes against Asian culture and tradition to look 'glamorous ' like this !

Ill never forget the first time I saw my Girlfriend in the hospital laying in a bed waiting for an operation ; I hardly recognized her stripped of all her necessities ! It was a scary experience.

Last edited by 007.5; 10-28-2009 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
No, but any school that has a smattering of Asian students, they have a very high incidence of being valedictorian. USA Today regularly lists the top students in the nation and in each state, and typically, about half of them have Asian names.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They're character actors. They're not up for the same type of roles as George Clooney, Matt Damon, or Jake Gyllenhaal.
Ray Winstone played Beowulf--albeit a computer generated Beowulf--because he was the only actor the director considered, because of his voice.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:02 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Because the female idols America has set up for itself , are those with : plumped-up lips from botox treatments , larger breasts from gel implants , belly fat / thigh fat / buttocks fat reduction from lipo-suction , noses / chins from chisel-jobs, face thinning from food starvation , wrinkle reduction from lazer surgery, added hair from someone else and dyed a different color , and facial makeup from dipping into multiple paint cans .

It goes against Asian culture and tradition to look 'glamorous ' like this !

Ill never forget the first time I saw my Girlfriend in the hospital laying in a bed waiting for an operation ; I hardly recognized her stripped of all her necessities ! It was a scary experience.
your post is off the mark. it's not just makeup, risque style, beauty treatments and all that. it really is about eurocentric beauty ideals which is fine, it's their country and ideals. that is the real reason you don't see much asians in western media and the fact their aren't many asians in the west and most are rather ugly or average. even a white guy who lived in asia said he noticed that it was more ugly white women in asia than in the west. it's just the same trend vice versa.

you are lying if you think asians celebrities and models don't look glamorous or are not about glamour. it's a bit different in some ways to the west but still your post is ridiculous. hello? tradition is about the past, not today.

just face the fact it is a different culture, that is the underlying jist of it and that is natural.

Last edited by rory00; 10-28-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Asian women desirable...

?

I dont get it...

Women are women--I don't get the "rating" system. They're pretty much all desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates