Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 05:32 PM

341 posts, read 902,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It just seems that even in today's world Asian women are not given progressive film roles. To me this is just odd especially since there has been a lot of progress in terms of how non-Whites are portrayed on film.

For example, there is a character on the new Melrose Place who is a med school student (smart Asian kid stereotype) but has to turn to a life of prostitution (geisha girl stereotype) because she is low on funds. Each new episode has her exchanging sex for money with men (White, Black, Arab, so far) Out of all the characters on the program she is the only Asian, yet her character is the only one that is unapologetically stereotypical in nature.

Sorry Cali but yes, Hollywood is racist to the core.
80% of the writers are Jewish and White and write a lot of their fantasies to be put on screen which is why you get all these sickening stereotypes.

If there were more people of color hired as writers, you'd see much more three dimensional roles. Another thing is; Hollywood is also a propoganda tool which role is probably imminently more important than just hacking/ bringing in the bucks.

Don't forget they peddle their slop worldwide and try to force it down every country's throat. Along with all the stereotypes, you get to be programmed either subliminally or outright. It's a very dangerous tool.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
i am not sure why the west is so demeaning toward asians and stereotype them so much. it's always been that way.

i can only think it's because asians just look so different from other minorities who resemble or have caucasian like features. people can be quite lame and it can be something as trivial as this.

i always saw this kind of theme even in general society and in school as asians were ridiculed or mocked as being the most different as if they are another species but just about every other minority not so much even if they were of different skin color or varied in skin shade. what they all did have in common were round eyes, larger nose, and more rotund body shape. i've even noticed polynesian looking asians are more accepted by general americana because they do tend to have rounder eyes and fuller features and the asian who looks most pure asian as in northeast asian features tend to be viewed as the most odd and make others feel uncomfortable. it must be natural to some extent. i don't begrudge that sentiment too much because asians have a whole continent on the other side of the world and thier own culture so it's not like there isn't some other place for them. what you notice about how asians are viewed in comparison is that the west is more down to earth or natural (which they are very proud of) and asians are the antithesis as in they are the nerds, emotionally naive, easily duped, or the opposite manipulative and sneaky. all this is indicative of a large but natural blindspot and that is a difference in cultural viewpoints which skews reality. for instance, many people are manipulative and sneaky but asians can be pigeonholed by them because asians just express it differently or simply their "vibe" is different whereas when others do it, it's so familiarly unnoticeable etc. most people are quite stupid and even so-called educated people as well. they have no idea how thier own cultural conditioning and viewpoint colors thier outlook. this is also nature's way in some respects to keeping individuality or differences. there are differences between races but not in basic feelings and motivations as all life has and this is where people cross the line and assume others do not have feelings like them when they do. i just don't think asians, especially oriental asians mesh well with american culture or society. yes, they are usually good citizens and handle thier business but on a cultural or social level they are the least likely to fit in well. it's best not to force it. i mean, i have witnessed many times americans actually grimace at the sight of asians as if the mere sight of them disgusts and vexes them. you can't totally blame them if that is how they feel. it is what it is. western culture is of course not thier universe. asians have their own place in the world on the other side.

again, this seems to be a general theme of americana. i think it's a bit different though in certain areas or niches. i would think california or LA would be used to seeing a lot of asians and they are pretty integrated into the culture as it's more multicultural there but still asians are seen as very different from others.

Quote:
Don't forget they peddle their slop worldwide and try to force it down every country's throat. Along with all the stereotypes, you get to be programmed either subliminally or outright. It's a very dangerous tool.
that's true also.

Last edited by rory00; 10-31-2009 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 04:47 AM

It is Hollywood's agenda to keep Asians 'in their place' after all, as I mentioned, these films are used not only to entertain but to propogandize domestcally and internationally. It makes life easier when competing with Asians on the world stage if you have a preconceived notion about the people whom you are dealing with.

As far as Asians as actors who are well liked, Hollywood likes to put forth the idea that it operates by box office appeal only. Bull. There've been quite a few films where they made money and were quite popular but the danger of these films were; they reached the hearts and minds of the audiences, maybe too much.

Asian females you can see all around you, they seem to get along with the general populace, at your workplace, walking around and on TV ads and commercials. They are not to be promoted because the directors and producers wives will have a big problem with that. Namely that is, it will make Asian females too acceptable in white dominated America, competing directly with white celebs for jobs and possibly their men. Basically that's it; competition. If I can badmouth and denigrate you, I will have a leg up on you. If not, well look what happened to Mia Farrow and Woody Allen, Ruport Murdoch and Wendy Deng, Les Moonves and Julia Chen. Look at Nick Cage and that Sopranos guy just to name a few, quite a few. These are/were all married men by the way, leaving their wives with kids and all, for that Asian woman. Can you imagine what would happen if Asian women were promoted as big stars by Hollywood? Practically everyone and their mother would be clamoring for an Asian female. It's bad enough as it is without tossing gasoline onto the fire. A new world order will have to be rewritten because the old one is undergoing a major upheaval.

And by the way, this also explains why you see nothing but dorky, asexual, buffoon type Asian males on the screen. It's Hollywood's defense mechanism firmly in place. Same reason is that Asian men will be accessing white women who've swooned over those sexy images in the movies.

As I mentioned, films are a brainwashing tool. It would be stupid to lose your position as a totally human, loveable, endearing figure to a rival of a different race. And by your own doing?

Back in the day there were Asian male heartthrobs that you will not see today, after Hollywood wised up. Remember James Shigeta, co starred with Carrol Baker, that blonde hottie. Then even before that was Sessue Hayakawa, who first alerted the powers that be in Hollywood.

"He joined a Japnese theatrical company that eventually toured the United States in 1913. The producer Thomas H. Ince spotted Hayakawa and offered him a movie contract. Turns in "The Wrath of the Gods" (1914) and "The Typhoon" (1914) turned Hayakawa into an overnight success. The first Asian-American star of the American screen was born.

He married actress Tsuru Aoki on May 1, 1914. The next year, his appearance in Cecil B. DeMille's sexploitation picture The Cheat (1915) made Hayakawa a silent screen superstar. Playing an ivory merchant who has an affair with the Caucasian Fannie Ward, audiences were titillated when he branded her as a symbol of her submission to their passion. The movie was a blockbuster for Famous Players-Lasky (Paramount), turning Hayakawa into a romantic idol for millions of American women regardless of their race.

Both garden-variety racists and those opposed to miscegenation between the races were outraged. Also outraged was the Japanese-American community, which was dismayed by DeMille's unsympathetic portrayal of a member of their race. The Japanese-American community protested the film and attempted to have it banned when it was re-released in 1918.

The popularity of Hayakawa rivaled that of Caucausian male movie stars in the decade of the 1910s, and he became one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood. Hayakawa made his career in melodramas playing romantic heroes and charismatic heavies. He co-starred with the biggest female stars in Hollywood, all of whom were, of course, Caucasian. His pictures often co-starred Jack Holt as his Caucasian rival for the love of the white heroine. (Holt would later become a top cowboy star in the 1920s.)"

If Hollywood were to allow Asian male heartthrobs in this day and age, the white male can kiss off on their status as the only intelligent, sensible choice for all females. In other words, a breakdown of white society as we know it.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:25 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
^it's just funny that caucasians think asians would usurp thier cultural status in media. that's how much they are aware asians are a competition it seems or perceive them that way. they don't perceive any other minority that way. it does indicate how different they are rather than similar. but besides that, i think it still all boils down to racial differences more than anything. most everyone else has caucasian features except ne asians.

there was some type of mental test where it indicated that caucasians view shape more important in assessing similarity than color (blacks especially are surprised by this as they usually say 'color of my skin' etc for reasons of discrimination). it makes sense that those who have more similar physical characteristics (shape) will be perceived as more similar to yourself. it is true that the vast majority of the world looks like a hodgepodge of caucasian features.

they also have a strange tendency to try to claim anyone that veers from the most extreme racial stereotype as caucasian. you don't see asians claim brad pitt, johnny depp, kate moss etc and anyone that looks like they could be construed to have some asianesque features to be asian. you don't see other races claim that anyone veering from a stereotype of blonde/blue-haired viking hagaresque caucasian(of which there are many) as erroneous. asians have as much variety in shape and size as do caucasians do. ex: ziyi zhang and kate moss have more similarities in shape than either to anyone else. do asians claim kate moss is asian? of course not. some caucasians believe tall asians must be mixed with white, forgetting they are not the only tall race or that all asians are "yellow" and very narrow stereotypes like that. asians can be white or tall on thier own. there is evidence all over asia with the younger generation who had parents even a foot or more shorter than them, it's called having more abundant food than thier parents, not even western diet as is presumed(lol). asian diet provides all that one needs except in the past, the variety was not available to commoners. caucasians can be strangely very selfish and skewed in thier thinking.

Last edited by rory00; 11-01-2009 at 06:08 AM..

Old 11-01-2009, 11:35 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Seems like things never change. Do a google on Anna May Wong, the first significant Asian American female actress.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Seems like things never change. Do a google on Anna May Wong, the first significant Asian American female actress.
Hayakawa's story is also interesting now that I read it.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,658 times
Hello everyone here...Clement and i live in 409 16th Ave E #20, Seattle WA 98112,i lost my wife about a year ago and since then have been single right here in the neighborhood and even when i travel for work i never want to come home cos there is only me and my daugther,is not really easy doing things alone with a lovely woman by my side so that's why i came here so that i can leave my email so that when i meet someone like me she will write me and i will take all the pleasure in getting to know her better and try to know where we go from there....here is my email:drclementleslie@yahoo.com....hope to hear from that serious woman thats ready for marriage...

Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 AM

142 posts, read 205,820 times
I think Hollywood and entertainment overall is more about the inner circle than pleasing the general public. The person who mentioned the writers being Jewish and white men is right for the most part. It's just like women dressing for other women, the writers doing it for other writers--it's a sport, if you will. Hollywood is about getting the right (usually pale white) look, not about the appeal to Asians Hispanics and blacks. I don't know of any movie theater or network tv channel that's truly all that much worried about "how many blacks might be watching tonight." Let's face it, even though the shade of the general Hollywood audience might have darkened just slightly, it remains mainly white...or Jewish men. At least that's where the money is when it comes to box-office hits.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Asians only make up about 5% of the US population. With that considered I feel as though I see lots of representation of Asian in media (news anchors, lost, heroes, etc, etc)

Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erehs059 View Post
I think Hollywood and entertainment overall is more about the inner circle than pleasing the general public. The person who mentioned the writers being Jewish and white men is right for the most part. It's just like women dressing for other women, the writers doing it for other writers--it's a sport, if you will. Hollywood is about getting the right (usually pale white) look, not about the appeal to Asians Hispanics and blacks. I don't know of any movie theater or network tv channel that's truly all that much worried about "how many blacks might be watching tonight." Let's face it, even though the shade of the general Hollywood audience might have darkened just slightly, it remains mainly white...or Jewish men. At least that's where the money is when it comes to box-office hits.

Money is only one end result of the plan. The most important component is; hearts and minds. When you've captured hearts and minds, quite naturally, the money follows. When you've captured someone's will is when you have true power.

Many things you watch on the big screen or boob tube has millions of subliminal messages encapturing your mind without you even knowing it. With a tool this powerful do you think they'd ignore it and just take the money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.