Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

I never heard of that positive stereotype regarding Asian women before, frankly Asian is such a broad term. To many white people Chinese, Japanese or Korean women are not that attractive, while women from Southeast Asia, i.e. Thailand, the Philippines, India etc. are usually considered more attractive. Maybe it has to do with skin color, or physiognomy, or cup size Sorry

Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM

142 posts, read 205,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I never heard of that positive stereotype regarding Asian women before, frankly Asian is such a broad term. To many white people Chinese, Japanese or Korean women are not that attractive, while women from Southeast Asia, i.e. Thailand, the Philippines, India etc. are usually considered more attractive. Maybe it has to do with skin color, or physiognomy, or cup size Sorry
In the U.S., it is one of the most common stereotypes about Asians...or at least it used to be a while back, but hey, I can't force people to notice things they don't want to notice.... And calling someone Asian, to me, is kind of like calling someone white. I know it's a broad term, but I will say "white" "black" or "Asian" since I usually do not know from what region a person comes from just by looking at them, I have to go by whatever physical characteristics I can see. In my case, the woman was from the Philippines, but I'd still refer to her as Asian.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
i think whites can have okay working relationships and some cultural exchanges with asians but whites/caucasians fit better or more naturally with south americans, africans and indians.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
i think whites can have okay working relationships and some cultural exchanges with asians but whites/caucasians fit better or more naturally with south americans, africans and indians.
That's an interesting statement, especially regarding Africans. I am white and I also find African or Black women in general to be the most attractive (on average). I don't know why as I grew up in rural Germany where there were no black people at all. But neither were there Asian women, still at least East Asian women seem very remote to me, not just geographically.
I don't think it has to do with cultural differences, after all, many modern Asian women behave like Western women (some even have their eyelids changed to resemble white people, which I find sad). Maybe I don't feel attracted to East Asian women because they look all the same to me and they historically are portrayed as quiet and obedient, which I don't like, I like strong women who radiate their strength, which also includes a certain physical presence.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:37 AM

129 posts, read 494,084 times
First of all, Asian women in American entertainment are not pretty.

Second, Asians by nature, tend to be less of entertainers.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,325 times
This thread angers me but I feel I must discuss it. Why do so many people have this Idea that Asians are so different and "separate" from other ethnicities in america. There are just as many asian americans in the u.s. and they are no different than anyone else, yet there is a perpetual Idea that all asians are foreign. In reality the opposite is true. Of all the ethnicities they see it important to integrate themselves to our country. Case in point, many chinese will adopt english names before they even come hear in addition spending long hours studying our language. It is my feeling that many in asian communities appreciate being american more than most other people.

Anyway I would like to answer the OP. I have not viewed this thread in its entirety, so perhaps this has already been stated.

Asian families and culture is very high context. That is to say, while they are just as individual as anyone else, they have family obligations to worry about. So they educate themselves to have jobs that are stable with a high income. Go to any UC college and you will see what I am talking about. Many students will train to be in healthcare (doctor, pharm, etc) or Humanties with the intention of going into law. For this reason being a an artist or an entertainer is discouraged. In addition, I find that many concentrated asian communities are passive-aggressive. I.E. they are not outwardly vocal about their issues but will still fight for them. My friend said it best "talk less, work harder" So this Idea of not having a voice or been seen is not seen as a problem.

Now disclaimer, all that I am saying is anecdotal, and by no means absolute. Many in my generations 20's teens, are breaking away from this and forming their own identities. And many are very outspoken and visible. Look at comedians Elliot chang, Youtube artists wong fu productions, and musicians Jin tha emcee and Far East movement. Most certainly there will be more prominent asian faces in mainstream media in the near future, but it will be gradual and they will have an uphill battle. I for one really hope for this, as the new generation of asian americans has a very diverse, varied, and rich cultural backround.

Btw I'm not asian, just know very many.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:06 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neozero View Post
I for one really hope for this, as the new generation of asian americans has a very diverse, varied, and rich cultural backround.
this statement says everything. the new generation of asian-americans do NOT have a very diverse, varied, and rich cultural background. the new generation is just americanized and is like everyone else.

your statement is ignorant and insulting because asians had a very diverse, varied and rich cultural background to bring to america in the first place. if americans don't appreciate it or it's not to thier taste, that's them. asian americans are just mainstreamlike everyone else (there are plenty of wannabe gangstas or just regular mainstream american) and doesn't equate to your silly and contradictory idea of "rich cultural background." lmao.

i find what's a loss to americans is traditionally thier inability to appreciate asian culture or care to. they just want assimilation naturally and that's what they get for the most part.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Bless 'em all. My god, bless 'em all! There are beautiful sexy women of every race, creed or national origin on the planet. Bless ‘em all.

The oriental actress that comes to my minds eye is Lexa Doig. She played Andromeda on the show of the same name.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
this statement says everything. the new generation of asian-americans do NOT have a very diverse, varied, and rich cultural background. the new generation is just americanized and is like everyone else.
I'm not sure how this is either insulting or incorrect. One's backround is their history. You can not change that, nor can it be lost in one generation of people. Now I agree with you on a lot of things. There are many people that do not appreciate or are knowledgable of asian culture. I think it is in america's nature to do so.

Anyway your statement is too broad. You know I think that anyone growing in a country will absorb its mainstream culture, but when communities form they still have their own unique traits. In southern california, there are several asian communities that are very distinct. The Vietnamese areas in Garden Grove and West Minster, Korea Town, the taiwanese districts in roland heights, or the more famous Cantonese area in downtown tokyo. These areas are all very distinct in there own right both uniquely asian BUT also american. What is more is that they are persistant, emerging on their own.

rory00, I think i you are on the same page, but I think we have different ideas of what "American" is. To say that mainstream popular culture, in the media, on tv** and movies, and the radio is what defines america is outrightly wrong. We are a country that is much more than that. We have several kinds of people and they all have different backrounds. And the fact that they all come together as one is what makes america so special. This is also the problem I have with the media, because I think, while it is being progressive, it not reflective of what is real.

Anyway, I said a whole of other offensive stuff. why did you pick that one. I'm also surprised no one gets at me for advocating for not my own race...

Old 12-23-2009, 07:13 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I find it disturbing that so called "Asian" people are so willing to sterotype their own. The ignorance and bigotry on this post is unbelievable.

How sad that one or two people wish to continue this sterotyping.

For the record, I don't have any "Asian" friends that refer to themselves as "Asian". Korean - yes, Chinese - yes, Tawianese - Yes, Vietnames - yes, Japanese - yes. "asian" no. There are too many trolls on this post. None of this has anything to do with the original question
Yes, I find this post very disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates