Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM

943 posts, read 2,281,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
As perhaps the oldest person on here(70+) I can state, beyond ALL doubt, that TV has radically changed the people of the USA beyond all recognition from what they were in the 30's and 40's.

The most profound concept offered in the last century was "The medium is the message" and so it is !

A good read on all this is "Bowling Alone" .
Thanks for your input on this. I think it changed it for the worse! You definitely would remember how things used to be. I have read Bowling Alone, actually pretty recently, that book basically said the social capital is massively breaking down; and it talked about the groups and clubs no one goes to. . I suppose if the USA has a full blown Depression 2, it would maybe necessitate some changes back to the way things used to be, but then maybe NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yea, I know about the terminator seeds. The problem with those seeds is how they can contaminate other seeds/plants. So, for example, Mexico banned GMO/terminator seeds (due to there strong ties with indigenous culture) but somehow the seeds still got there () and now some of the different species of corn that took thousands of years to cultivate has now been contaminated genetically!!!!!

As far as GMO here in the states, most people don't even know it's here! Furthermore, there are no food labels on packaging to let customers know if there food is modified or not! People need to know this because according to independent research the modified food caused suppressed immune systems, cancer, and death in lab animals.

Anyhow, this is BEYOND greed!!!! This is a situation where collective few (F%%%N Monsanto) want to control plant, animal and human life. And this is exactly why I really don't want to have a family in this day an age because if people don't wake up, we are all going to suffer some MAJOR consequences.
The Bible talks about a worldwide famine in Revelation, dont mean to throw religion into this, but isnt obvious how it could happen? They have opened a Pandora box. They want to control all food and all living to the point that humans couldnt even grow their own food. As for the effects of this food, I am surrounded by so many YOUNG people getting cancer I am scared. [Sick myself, I found out my 40 year old sister is getting tested for leukemia, my 41 year old sister in law has bad breast cancer] . These corporations are evil personified as far as I am concerned. Food tastes different, I know it does not taste as good, and it is far more plastic. I think the major consquences may have already started!

Here is even some more creepy stuff, they have been blending animal genes in with plant genes. That is utter sickening, but it gets WORSE, they have blended in human and animal genes together in their mad scientists experiements. Very few people know about this stuff too, that is even what is scarier. Very sad to hear about the Mexican corn.

Just a bunch of greedy evil people who only care about filling their pockets with money.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,805,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yea, I know about the terminator seeds. The problem with those seeds is how they can contaminate other seeds/plants. So, for example, Mexico banned GMO/terminator seeds (due to there strong ties with indigenous culture) but somehow the seeds still got there () and now some of the different species of corn that took thousands of years to cultivate has now been contaminated genetically!!!!!

As far as GMO here in the states, most people don't even know it's here! Furthermore, there are no food labels on packaging to let customers know if there food is modified or not! People need to know this because according to independent research the modified food caused suppressed immune systems, cancer, and death in lab animals.

Anyhow, this is BEYOND greed!!!! This is a situation where collective few (F%%%N Monsanto) want to control plant, animal and human life. And this is exactly why I really don't want to have a family in this day an age because if people don't wake up, we are all going to suffer some MAJOR consequences.
I don't know about this world, but a point about THIS part of the world.
I understand that Frankenstein Food is banned in the EU .

Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
If I won the Lotto and had big bucks, I would never live in a gated community the entire idea is abhorent to me. Dont these people realize they are "caged" in a way as well. One bad development in American society in general is how the different socioeconomic classes are literally being walled off from each other even within the same race. I have met people from the suburbs who seem clueless as to the real economic condition of America, they live in a sealed "world" of sorts. Now we have the rich walling themselves off from the "riff-raff". It is disgusting, talk about failure of social connections in America. I wonder what being a kid is like in one of those places, you want to ride your bike to go explore, but you gotta ask a guard to open the jail bars everytime you want to leave. What if the gate failed during an electrical outage and it couldnt be opened? I never would live in one of those places.

I would hate all those walls too, and the tunneled areas, that seems a perfect set up for criminals.
Many of these gated insular prison-like communities only have one entrance/exit. Anarchy comes, you park a semi-truck horizontally in front of the entrance/exit and no one can exit.

That happened some time ago at an embassy in Peru. Terrorists blocked the only exit/entrance to the compound, and held 600 people hostage.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
I don't know about this world, but a point about THIS part of the world.
I understand that Frankenstein Food is banned in the EU .
I think they were smart in the EU to ban it. Hey the banning of growth hormones etc, is why Europeans are far healthier then Americans.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Many of these gated insular prison-like communities only have one entrance/exit. Anarchy comes, you park a semi-truck horizontally in front of the entrance/exit and no one can exit.

That happened some time ago at an embassy in Peru. Terrorists blocked the only exit/entrance to the compound, and held 600 people hostage.
Yep, because in essence they are in a cage.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:38 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I and a friend of mine were discussing this the other day talking about how people just seem to lack "passion" anymore and they seem so emotionless and shut down. No one seems to care about anything, no causes no nothing. She told me her and sister were talking about this, how people have become so closed down in American society, afraid to open their mouths about anything, afraid to actually have an opinion and no emotions anymore. She said, People just do not have emotions anymore and I agreed!.

I think I moved to the place on the planet with the least emotional people going. I do not think it is just me. Extreme reserved or stoic, even to show too much happiness among these stoics, seems to be threatening to them. By the way this area is far more upper class then where I used to live.

I gotta get out of this place because my personality DOES NOT FIT HERE!~ I actually had this lady here tell me, "I do not need friends, my family is enough" That was weird. She acted as though wanting to be someone's friend was the most evil thing a person could come up with. I do not understand these people!
Why our society values conformity - by Tim Bolton - Helium (http://www.helium.com/items/212939-why-our-society-values-conformity - broken link)
Good post - I definately notice this trait all around - A strange kind of unfriendly, insincere, unemotional attitude even from people close to you.

Its perhaps learned behaviour where showing your true personality just leads to problems and difficulties, or creates attention - people just want to get on with life with minimum fuss. Lets face we are all passionate and opininated - if you start going off about things then you just make enemies

I can bare this kind of thing at work, with strangers - but its even more common with family members, partners - that the tough part being surrounded by unemotional types who show no empathy or friendliness.

Its also a kind of selfish where people don't want to reach out to others - there happy with the internet, their latest gadget and the favourite TV programmes.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:20 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Good post - I definately notice this trait all around - A strange kind of unfriendly, insincere, unemotional attitude even from people close to you.

Its perhaps learned behaviour where showing your true personality just leads to problems and difficulties, or creates attention - people just want to get on with life with minimum fuss. Lets face we are all passionate and opininated - if you start going off about things then you just make enemies

I can bare this kind of thing at work, with strangers - but its even more common with family members, partners - that the tough part being surrounded by unemotional types who show no empathy or friendliness.

Its also a kind of selfish where people don't want to reach out to others - there happy with the internet, their latest gadget and the favourite TV programmes.
Interesting thoughts; I've been wondering about this also. People seem colder than they used to be. Maybe they've been de-sensitized to real emotions with all of the technological garbage that they take in- the internet, tv, video games, ipods, etc. It's their distraction from reality & from actually relating to the people around them.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:45 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,018,557 times
Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I honestly think much of our world (specifically my young generation) has become very shallow, not just in relation to material goods or appearance, but in general. I hear so many conversations and see so many friendships that barely skim the surface of anything. Maybe people are too caught up in their own lives to ask questions that go beyond the surface. I find myself unintentionally having deep conversations with people - strangers and close friends. We just start talking and I start asking questions and then they open up and start asking questions and voila - deep conversation. And it's funny sometimes because they almost look relieved that they can talk about deep topics.
I love talking about 'deep' things, but the opportunities seem fewer and far between, even with friends. I actually find it easier to find people to do so on the net (via chatting, talking or message boards), so I don't totally blame the internet. It's come with a price but we've also got some social interaction we wouldn't have had before, at least on the mental wavelength.

A lot of people are bottled up. They seem like they don't want to reveal anything but actually, they want to more than anything in the world. It's sad to see two close friends or even family members live with each for a whole life and never even know each other. How great if we could truly know many?

I blame work and being too occupied rather than technology alone. Tech is just a means to an end. Facebook, twitter etc just show that people crave contact with each other, but are becoming more stilted because traditional means of meeting people are becoming less important. Nowadays when people go out, it's usually a group of friends or couple who already know each other, who only talk among themselves...they don't meet anyone new. It used to be that anyone who spent hours a day online was a nerd; now it seems tons of teens and 20 year olds are online most of their free time. They don't even actually do stuff with their friends as much. Instead they're online chatting, or going on facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates