Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:41 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,465,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
During a trial scene on The Wire, the character Omar Little (who robs drug dealers for a living) had the following exchange with defense attorney Maurice Levy who is trying to discredit Little's testimony against his client, during cross examination:

Maurice 'Maury' Levy: You are amoral, are you not? You are feeding off the violence and the despair of the drug trade. You are stealing from those who themselves are stealing the lifeblood from our city. You are a parasite who leeches off...

Omar: Just like you, man.

Maurice 'Maury' Levy: ...the culture of drugs. Excuse me? What?

Omar: I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase. It's all in the game though, right?

Frankly, I've heard young black drug dealers make such turns of logic hundreds of times, placing their activities in the context of white collar crimes or wars between nations. If it is alright for America to go to war to protect its supply of oil, why isn't it alright for them to go to war to protect their supply of drugs or access to lucrative drug markets, they have reasoned. Another oft repeated refrain is the all too accurate observation that they, as street level dealers, don't own any planes to import drugs into the country, nor do they manufacture guns, why is it that the police concentrate on their business activities? Yes, we know those truths to be self-evident, but in the logic of the street, and it is a logic, the emphasis in law enforcement isn't on the "big guys" (read white folks) but on some small time, street level dealers.

When confronted with the possibility of incarceration, or death, they argue, seemingly unknowingly, that it is a simple cost/benefit equation. They take their life time earning potential, the probability of arrest or murder, and weight them against the immediate rewards. For young men who have neither the hope or expectation of a long life, the answer is clear, one must earn as much as one can in the short run rather than defer earnings as a result of seeking an education for a job that they believe requires an intolerable amount of subservience to a perceived white power structure (in many ways their arguments are as libertarian as many of those arguments put forth on these pages).
Sounds reasonable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 14,579 times
It's interesting that over 5 pages of anonymous internet postings haven't actually said anything.

I live in Austin, TX and every time a black man gets shot by a white man, or the police are found to have used 'too much force' in arresting a minority, the NAACP comes out in droves to point fingers. The other 364 days of the year when the minorities are busy killing each other, we never hear from them.

I'm sure this is the same in your communities. On the national stage it is the same with leaders in the black community such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc.

Bottom line -- the only solution for this community is the community. Inner city African Americans live in a culture that glorifies 'baby mama's', drug dealing, pimping, etc. etc. Traditional 'American Values' such as hard work and family unity are often missing.

IQ tests don't have anything to do with anything. I have a dog that that is smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds it

Old 11-25-2009, 05:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devious9191 View Post
Inner city African Americans live in a culture that glorifies 'baby mama's', drug dealing, pimping, etc. etc. Traditional 'American Values' such as hard work and family unity are often missing.
Yes because god know there aren't any hard working play by the "rule" black folks that live in inner-city America. Every man, boy, girl, woman is a crack smoking, gun slinging, welfare cheating, no education sociopath and all they have to do is learn to be upright Americans™ and the problem is solved!

Yeah boss!!

Now that I've got that off my chest, yes, there is a segment of inner city black Americas, who through their alienation from the larger society have have developed a code of conduct and mores that is as alien to most of us, as all those good ole Traditional American values are alien to them. But that is only one segment. The rest go day in and day out to their multiple dead end jobs, care for their family and just try to make the best of a bad situation.

As for Sharpton, and Jackson, allow me to let you in on a little not so well kept secret, they have about as much influence with the black criminal underclass as any white person. Sharpton and Jackson are seen to be just as much a part of the system as anyone else. Trust me, I've witnessed it first hand when young gang bangers dismissed their calls for "personal responsibility" and to abandon The Game.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:50 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,465,347 times
Black Folks have the NAACP. Latinos have LULAC. white Folks have not all that much. We are the Minority in so many ways now days. We don't have equal protection under the Law. which needs to be corrected in order to have fairness for all. White Women have some protections, But White Males are left to take it on the chin.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Black Folks have the NAACP. Latinos have LULAC. white Folks have not all that much. We are the Minority in so many ways now days. We don't have equal protection under the Law. which needs to be corrected in order to have fairness for all. White Women have some protections, But White Males are left to take it on the chin.
NAACP and LULAC were founded as a response to the discrimination being done to them. All were founded in the early 20th century. Historically(keywork HISTORICALLY), White people have never really needed to form these kinds of organizations.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
NAACP and LULAC were founded as a response to the discrimination being done to them. All were founded in the early 20th century. Historically(keywork HISTORICALLY), White people have never really needed to form these kinds of organizations.
I'd restudy American history before I made a remark like that...

Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'd restudy American history before I made a remark like that...
I have studied American history. When have White people in the USA been subjugated to the same exact things that African-Americans were subjugated to?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM

950 posts, read 1,515,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devious9191 View Post
It's interesting that over 5 pages of anonymous internet postings haven't actually said anything.

I live in Austin, TX and every time a black man gets shot by a white man, or the police are found to have used 'too much force' in arresting a minority, the NAACP comes out in droves to point fingers. The other 364 days of the year when the minorities are busy killing each other, we never hear from them.

I'm sure this is the same in your communities. On the national stage it is the same with leaders in the black community such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc.

Bottom line -- the only solution for this community is the community. Inner city African Americans live in a culture that glorifies 'baby mama's', drug dealing, pimping, etc. etc. Traditional 'American Values' such as hard work and family unity are often missing.

IQ tests don't have anything to do with anything. I have a dog that that is smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds it

I have read some F.B.I statistics which revealed that a whopping 93% of Black victims are murdered by a Black perpetrator. But Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and the NAACP only care about the 7% of Black victims who are murdered by a Nonblack perpetrator. They don't give a rat's azz about the other 93% because the real money is in that 7%. That's how these race hustlers make their money.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I have read some F.B.I statistics which revealed that a whopping 93% of Black victims are murdered by a Black perpetrator. But Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and the NAACP only care about the 7% of Black victims who are murdered by a Nonblack perpetrator. They don't give a rat's azz about the other 93% because the real money is in that 7%. That's how these race hustlers make their money.
It isn't just those persons who don't seem to care. It is the media who doesn't care. Alot of people don't care. Few people know that the number one cause of death in African-American men ages 15-34 is murder. It probably places a part in African-American men having the lowest life expectancy in the USA, along with AIDS, stress(which induces cancer, heart problems) and some other issues.
The murder rate in the African-American community needs to come down drastically because the high murder rate is hurting African-Americans. 93% of Black men being murdered by other Black men.

This is the major reason the murder rate in the African-American community should be mentioned:
Yes, it is high, especially when compared to other ethnic groups in the USA. With that said, when 93% of the persons being murdered by African-Americans are themselves African-American, that fact needs to be mentioned. The victims need to be mentioned. This is the main reason it should be mentioned: Because if the African-American murder rate drops, that will be fewer African-Americans dying.

However, the murder rate among African-Americans is only mentioned in the context of "justifying" avoiding African-Americans as an ethnic group. I see it mentioned in that context.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yes because god know there aren't any hard working play by the "rule" black folks that live in inner-city America. Every man, boy, girl, woman is a crack smoking, gun slinging, welfare cheating, no education sociopath and all they have to do is learn to be upright Americans™ and the problem is solved!

Yeah boss!!

Now that I've got that off my chest, yes, there is a segment of inner city black Americas, who through their alienation from the larger society have have developed a code of conduct and mores that is as alien to most of us, as all those good ole Traditional American values are alien to them. But that is only one segment. The rest go day in and day out to their multiple dead end jobs, care for their family and just try to make the best of a bad situation.

As for Sharpton, and Jackson, allow me to let you in on a little not so well kept secret, they have about as much influence with the black criminal underclass as any white person. Sharpton and Jackson are seen to be just as much a part of the system as anyone else. Trust me, I've witnessed it first hand when young gang bangers dismissed their calls for "personal responsibility" and to abandon The Game.
Well; I never knew nany white person had that much influence really. Good to know. This is why race and any thing can not be really discussed, The race card always slips in one way or another and whites have learned to move on mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates