Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:22 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times

Advertisements

Got me to examine my habits, I go to the gym or bowling daily. I get out daily, and I am retired. Spending an hour or two a day annoying everyone here is a small price to pay for the pleasure it brings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
When is it bad? When you can't stop and it is interfering with normal life. So far, forums only interfere with my normal work.

I like posting here. Honestly it feels good to anonymously vent frustrations, share ideas and even be validated by someone else on occasion. It has the potential to become addicting, but I'm not addicted....no not me.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:57 AM

324 posts, read 573,728 times
Time on internet or any other activities in our lives could become addictive. It's all up to us. Are we able to keep them under controll, or do they controll us? As long as we controll them, we are in a good shape.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:59 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
I'm on it at work because I have to be (well not on CD, lol) but have to be on the computer, this is just another way to work out my sometimes boredom but at home, I'm rarely on.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:14 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Since I'm at my Shop 12+ hours a day, seven days a week, it helps me pass the time, rather than to do the chores I should be doing. I listen to TV, and post on the puter. some life huh??

Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's not an addiction. Neither is washing your car or buying lottery tickets or watching The Daily Show or putting sugar in your coffee. Do you have physical withdrawal symptoms when you go on vacation? It's just a preference when you have choices.
I agree! Had a similar argument with my wife one time. She was trying to convince me that there is a difference between sitting in front of the TV and wasting time on the computer. At least on the computer you can be somewhat social believe it or not.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:55 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
I think there needs to be a lot less emphasis on technology, it's not just the internet. People are getting on cell phones, gettin on forums, getting on social networking sites, getting on blogs, emailing, texting and doing evertyhing they can to actually avoid face to face interactions. I really am getting concerned about the amount of people that sit in front of the computer, or the TV or the Xbox all day.....those do not make for productive members of society unless they are used in moderation but people assume that electronics are harmless fun.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
We are not using technology---technology is using us, as a marketing and economic and even political device.

Why do they give you a free cell phone?

Technology does not give us the power to control anything. It gives THEM the power to control US.

It's a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:21 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
as soon as it becomes an addiction, there is a problem. the definition of addiction portrays a psychological dependence, which means that control of your own life has been lost to a smaller or larger extent, and that you have handed over control to the object of your addiction.

that is always bad.

however, i think that "addiction" has become a mundane word that has lost much of its technical definition in common speech. we use it to describe something that we simply enjoy quite a bit, even if there is no dependency involved.

i know that i have used the word to describe my love of art, literature, rock climbing, mountain biking, and hiking. i have seen others describe their own hobbies in hyperbolic terms like "addiction," even when i would guess that they are not dominated by their favorite pastime or object.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
And yet, here we are. talking about how bad it is.---I think computers are great. so much information at the tip of your fingers. --TV, just hypnotizes the brain. Until a commercial comes on, then I hit the remote. I will not be "sold" to. ---If I want to buy something, I will find it for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates