Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:53 PM

46 posts, read 109,096 times

Advertisements

I have a question, that always seems to get ignored in abortion debates.

I have a blood clotting disorder that makes it dangerous for me to carry a pregnancy to term.

I also have a neurological disorder that can make my day to day life ridiculously hard and at times extremely painful. There are people with the same neurological disorder who have it MUCH worse then I do. Research is showing it could very well be genetic.

I am on birth control, using natural family planning to track my cycle and my fiance and I use condoms when I'm at my most fertile.

I have gone to numerous doctors trying to find one who will permanently sterilize me; but because I am 22 they say I am "too young" and could "change my mind" despite the risk that being pregnant poses to my life.

(For arguments/debates sake lets leave the fact that my fiance could [and will hopefully soon] get a vasectomy)

I am doing everything in my power (as far as doctors will allow me) to avoid a pregnancy. If I somehow get pregnant, I will abort. Because my very LIFE is at stake.

To those who are pro-life. To those who think abortion is murder and would see those who have abortions - whatever the reason - given the death penalty in a court of law if you had your way...

What, exactly, are women like me supposed to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,410,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by definingsilence View Post
I have a question, that always seems to get ignored in abortion debates.

I have a blood clotting disorder that makes it dangerous for me to carry a pregnancy to term.

I also have a neurological disorder that can make my day to day life ridiculously hard and at times extremely painful. There are people with the same neurological disorder who have it MUCH worse then I do. Research is showing it could very well be genetic.

I am on birth control, using natural family planning to track my cycle and my fiance and I use condoms when I'm at my most fertile.

I have gone to numerous doctors trying to find one who will permanently sterilize me; but because I am 22 they say I am "too young" and could "change my mind" despite the risk that being pregnant poses to my life.

(For arguments/debates sake lets leave the fact that my fiance could [and will hopefully soon] get a vasectomy)

I am doing everything in my power (as far as doctors will allow me) to avoid a pregnancy. If I somehow get pregnant, I will abort. Because my very LIFE is at stake.

To those who are pro-life. To those who think abortion is murder and would see those who have abortions - whatever the reason - given the death penalty in a court of law if you had your way...

I'm not anti abortion, but there is always the morning after pill. Or, does your condition prevent you from taking it.

Of course, thats not much of an option, because they are expensive. I couldn't imagine a "frisky" week.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm not anti abortion, but there is always the morning after pill. Or, does your condition prevent you from taking it.

Of course, thats not much of an option, because they are expensive. I couldn't imagine a "frisky" week.
That is always an option. But you have to take it within 72 hours (I think that's the time frame), so if it takes longer then that for me to realize my BC failed...I'd have to go plan C - abortion.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,695,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by definingsilence View Post

I think you should stop driving and/or riding in automobiles, because you're probably far more likely to die in an accident than to die as a result of (possibly) getting pregnant.

That said... The problem with arguments like this is that they are based on ultra-extreme long shot possibilities, then presented as though they are the norm. With all due respect, that's not fair.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 PM

442 posts, read 966,290 times
I am a woman..and I happen to agree with you. If I had a condition and I had tried everything possible to prevent pregnancy and got pregnant, I too would abort. Also, if I was raped and got pregnant I would abort. Those are the only two I would do it for. A little note, try and find a high risk ob/gyn a friend of mine had a congenital disease that could be passed on (can't remember but it was a bad one) and the high risk doc tied her tubes.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I think you should stop driving and/or riding in automobiles, because you're probably far more likely to die in an accident than to die as a result of (possibly) getting pregnant.
The only time I get in a car if I'm not driving is if my fiance is driving. He and I have similiar driving styles (he taught me how to drive actually).

I drive a truck; it sits higher, I can see out of it better then I can a car.
I obey the speed limit and all traffic laws.
I wear my seat belt and am hyper alert about what's around me.
I avoid driving when I'm tired.
I don't use my cell phone or text while driving.

I take every precaution to prevent an accident while in my truck just like I take every precaution to avoid a pregnancy.

If I'm in an accident (and don't die on impact) my fiance or I have the ability to make the decisions that will keep me alive.

(Right now) if I get pregnant, I have the option of terminating a pregnancy because that's what's going to keep me alive.

But there are some who would like to take that right, that ability away from me.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,695,563 times
^^ Is there the possibility (good possibility, perhaps) that you would be able to bring a perfectly normal baby to term, and give birth to a fully healthy child?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,586,445 times
Well, I think you're wrong in thinking that the vast majority of pro-life people wouldn't/don't sympathize with people like you. If fact, I believe it's quite the contrary. To think that most pro-lifers want a flat out ban on any kind of abortion is a huge misrepresentation.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Well, I think you're wrong in thinking that the vast majority of pro-life people wouldn't/don't sympathize with people like you. If fact, I believe it's quite the contrary. To think that most pro-lifers want a flat out ban on any kind of abortion is a huge misrepresentation.
I KNOW there's a broad range of opinions on abortion amongst the pro-life. It's why I'm asking this question. Because the answers will be varied and come from all different levels of pro-choiceness and pro-lifeness.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,355,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
sadly, the "pro-lifers" (really, better choice of word is "anti-choicers") who do want an outright ban and seemingly vilify women who exercise their rights to choose are often the most visible and the most vocal, even if they aren't the majority. there are "pro-life" activists that won't even make exception for rapes. some would tell the OP to just stop having sex if she doesn't want to get pregnant, which is a ridiculous response. I don't disagree w/ you, but tolerant pro-lifers are less visible than the loons that picket Planned Parenthood and bash anyone who chose to get an abortion. people like the OP aren't that rare and even beyond medical reasons, there are people who don't want kids, but due to failed birth control, end up pregnant and must make hard choices. thankfully, they can make those choices if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates