Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,376,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I have not said that the rape/incest issue should be neglected. The problem is that so many pro-choice people want to make it seem as though rape & incest is the NORM regarding reasons for abortion. But it simply isn't.

That said, your assertion that "babies who survive abortion" should be ignored means we should also ignore the "rape & incest" cause for abortion too, right? After all, the number is inconsequential.

Or is that not the case? Are you arguing that one should be ignored, and the other paid attention to?
In those cases I don't think there's even a question as to whether or not abortion should be legal.

But to answer your question: No, I don't think those rare (though not nearly as rare as what you're referring to) cases should be the deciding factor when debating abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:33 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,282,897 times
Quote:
Thank you for that well thought-out, reasonable, intelligent and original post.

Next time, though, be sure you credit NARAL - or whoever the pin-head was you copy & pasted from.
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to convey.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:08 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,595,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
If that's supposed to be serious, which I don't think it is, because for the first trimester (at least) the "child" is completely dependent on the host body, and considering what a pregnancy does to a woman, and the duration of it, it should be entirely her choice whether or not she wants to terminate that pregnancy.
No, I'm dead serious. I think it's ironic how people say "terminate the pregnancy." Call it what it is, killing a baby. No need to sugar coat it. Also, let's not forget that the courts have decided a mothers intent determines whether the baby should be granted rights or not. In cases where prenant mothers are murdered, often the murderer is charged with two counts of murder. They are basically saying the intent of the mother was to keep the child, so the baby is considerd human at point. Once they have come to the conclusion of the mother planning to keep the baby, all of a sudden it should be afforded rights as a human.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:10 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,595,018 times
Also, these same people using a single mother, who doesn't want the baby and will not care for it, have a weak argument in that respect. If my dogs mother left my dog for dead, and I killed my dog because nature couldn't provide for him, these same people would be crying for animal rights.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:09 PM

191 posts, read 458,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by definingsilence View Post

I have gone to numerous doctors trying to find one who will permanently sterilize me; but because I am 22 they say I am "too young" and could "change my mind" despite the risk that being pregnant poses to my life.
This is a off topic, but you need a new doctor. I have a friend who had her tubes tied at 23 because she has severe diabetes, and it sounds like her chance at death was a lot lower than yours. I know some doctors are weird about it, but I have to believe someone would do this for you if your condition is truly life threatening.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:19 PM

378 posts, read 425,602 times
The term "pro-life" assumes that those who believe in the right to choose are somehow "anti-life". Wrong.

I'm always amazed that the so-called "pro-lifers" have no compunction about killing abortion doctors and blowing up clinics.

Abortion is no one's business other than the female involved.

But . . . it is my opinion that two abortions (should) = mandatory sterilization.

Using abortion as birth control is ignorant and reckless.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:29 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,736,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
The term "pro-life" assumes that those who believe in the right to choose are somehow "anti-life". Wrong.

I'm always amazed that the so-called "pro-lifers" have no compunction about killing abortion doctors and blowing up clinics.

Abortion is no one's business other than the female involved.

But . . . it is my opinion that two abortions (should) = mandatory sterilization.

Using abortion as birth control is ignorant and reckless.
Wow, nice broad-brushing.

Shall I just refer to you as Baby Slaughterer?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Wow, nice broad-brushing.

Shall I just refer to you as Baby Slaughterer?

How freaking ignorant. Only someone with NO basis for their opinion will resort to ad homs, such as your disgusting and stupid response.

Nothing like a good, INTELLIGENT debate of an issue.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:45 PM

18,437 posts, read 19,088,484 times
abortion is a private matter between a woman, her doctor and her god if she has one. to call it murder is a way anti choice people have trying to make a woman feel guilty about her choice. a woman's can and does have the right to reproductive freedom. she should not live her life by anyones moral value but her own.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
abortion is a private matter between a woman, her doctor and her god if she has one. to call it murder is a way anti choice people have trying to make a woman feel guilty about her choice. a woman's can and does have the right to reproductive freedom. she should not live her life by anyones moral value but her own.
Quite correct!

People like "Omaha" are incapable of supporting their positions with logic. It's far easier to attack, no matter how disgusting, than to intelligently and rationally discuss the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates