Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:28 PM

18,418 posts, read 19,075,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Okay... I'm going to burst your bubble here.

First of all, Facebook... Yeah, it's Facebook. Not much more to say.

The story about the woman being jailed in Iowa for THINKING about having an abortion. Note that it is a BLOG. And I'm sorry, but that article is pure idiocy to the point of being a total lie. The medical authorities thought (apparently wrongly) that the woman was intentionally falling down stairs in an attempt to kill her unborn baby. They are, as you probably know, "mandatory reporters." If they suspect a child (even an unborn child) is in danger, they are required by law to report it. So the woman was NOT jailed for THINKING about having an abortion. That is a bold-faced lie, and the writer of that blog ought to be ashamed of him/herself.

The third link you cited was at least well thought-out, though its language was intentionally inflammatory, and was completely and totally biased and unfair. Even so, it did link to and quote people who want women jailed for getting abortions.

The fourth link - to "Jezebel"? Come on now. Talk about nut-jobville. How are they any different than the writer in the Catholic article they're condemning and vilifying? For the record, I don't agree at all with what that Catholic guy said. But let's get real. Jezebel? Really?

Anyway, thank you for providing some links to back up your assertion. I do appreciate it, even though I think some of them are just crap.
you got it. I can't vouch for the articles as I didn't read them for content, just looking for verification that people do think that way. they say to me no matter if they are face book or not is that there are people who think women should be jailed for having an abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,726,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you got it. I can't vouch for the articles as I didn't read them for content, just looking for verification that people do think that way. they say to me no matter if they are face book or not is that there are people who think women should be jailed for having an abortion.
Yep.

One thing that always amazing me about the abortion debate is the sheer volume of irrelevant and hyperbolic idiocy involved. Honestly, that blog about the woman in Iowa being jailed for thinking about having an abortion is one of the dumbest, most dishonest things I've ever read. I would think that any and every pro-choice person would be humiliated and angered by it.

Then there are those folks who actually celebrate the killing of an abortion doctor. Come on, what kind of barbaric idiocy is that?!?! As an honest pro-lifer, I wish that doctor wasn't (in my view) killing babies. But to murder the doctor, thinking that's furthering the pro-life cause? Sheesh!

Personally, I would love to live in a world where there were no abortions. Ever. But I know that's never going to be the case, and there are many reasons why. So rather than all-or-nothing screaming, I need to engage in more productive ways of helping people not get abortions. I think that's a legitimate thing to do.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 PM

18,418 posts, read 19,075,680 times
Quote:
Yep.

One thing that always amazing me about the abortion debate is the sheer volume of irrelevant and hyperbolic idiocy involved. Honestly, that blog about the woman in Iowa being jailed for thinking about having an abortion is one of the dumbest, most dishonest things I've ever read. I would think that any and every pro-choice person would be humiliated and angered by it.

Then there are those folks who actually celebrate the killing of an abortion doctor. Come on, what kind of barbaric idiocy is that?!?! As an honest pro-lifer, I wish that doctor wasn't (in my view) killing babies. But to murder the doctor, thinking that's furthering the pro-life cause? Sheesh!

Personally, I would love to live in a world where there were no abortions. Ever. But I know that's never going to be the case, and there are many reasons why. So rather than all-or-nothing screaming, I need to engage in more productive ways of helping people not get abortions. I think that's a legitimate thing to do.
you are right it is not going away. we need more education and easier access to birth control for younger people would help some. abortion should always stay safe and legal as women will try to self abort like they did before roe v wade with coat hangers and back alley abortionist and I doubt many people want to see that either.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:37 PM

64 posts, read 33,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by definingsilence View Post
I have a question, that always seems to get ignored in abortion debates.

I have a blood clotting disorder that makes it dangerous for me to carry a pregnancy to term.

I also have a neurological disorder that can make my day to day life ridiculously hard and at times extremely painful. There are people with the same neurological disorder who have it MUCH worse then I do. Research is showing it could very well be genetic.

I am on birth control, using natural family planning to track my cycle and my fiance and I use condoms when I'm at my most fertile.

I have gone to numerous doctors trying to find one who will permanently sterilize me; but because I am 22 they say I am "too young" and could "change my mind" despite the risk that being pregnant poses to my life.

(For arguments/debates sake lets leave the fact that my fiance could [and will hopefully soon] get a vasectomy)

I am doing everything in my power (as far as doctors will allow me) to avoid a pregnancy. If I somehow get pregnant, I will abort. Because my very LIFE is at stake.

To those who are pro-life. To those who think abortion is murder and would see those who have abortions - whatever the reason - given the death penalty in a court of law if you had your way...

What, exactly, are women like me supposed to do?
I am a bit miffed that you feel a need to ask such a question. I don't know anyone in the pro-life arena who says that women should be denied abortion if being 'with child" poses a legitimate threat to hear life. It just doesn't exist withing the pro-life faction. Yes, we think abortion is murder, but killing in self-defense isn't murder, and abortion to save your life is self defense.

Rest easy. Nobody would force you to die to carry your child, should your precautions fail.

I am quite disappointed that your fiance would insist on sex knowing that potential consequences if you become pregnant. Seems outlandishingly selfish to me.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 PM

378 posts, read 425,432 times
Quote:
I have a question, that always seems to get ignored in abortion debates.

I have a blood clotting disorder that makes it dangerous for me to carry a pregnancy to term.

I also have a neurological disorder that can make my day to day life ridiculously hard and at times extremely painful. There are people with the same neurological disorder who have it MUCH worse then I do. Research is showing it could very well be genetic.

I am on birth control, using natural family planning to track my cycle and my fiance and I use condoms when I'm at my most fertile.

I have gone to numerous doctors trying to find one who will permanently sterilize me; but because I am 22 they say I am "too young" and could "change my mind" despite the risk that being pregnant poses to my life.

(For arguments/debates sake lets leave the fact that my fiance could [and will hopefully soon] get a vasectomy)

I am doing everything in my power (as far as doctors will allow me) to avoid a pregnancy. If I somehow get pregnant, I will abort. Because my very LIFE is at stake.

To those who are pro-life. To those who think abortion is murder and would see those who have abortions - whatever the reason - given the death penalty in a court of law if you had your way...

What, exactly, are women like me supposed to do?
I got side-tracked on this thread by one poster's ignorance and I did not comment on the original post:

Wow.

That's rough, your medical situation.

But, I must ask WHY you and your fiance would have relations when you're "most fertile"??? So neither of you can restrain yourselves for just a few days per month, to protect your health??

Yikes.

No, the fact is, you are NOT doing everything in your power to avoid pregnancy - otherwise, you'd be abstaining TOTALLY until you can find doctors who can definitively determine your medical status and whether or not you should ever have a child - - and if that's what they determine, and you and your boyfriend are committed to one another for the long haul, then HE should get snipped.

And as for your asking the "pro-lifers" what you should do . . . it is NONE of their damn business.

You don't make these kinds of decisions based on what those people - or anyone else - thinks.

It is YOUR body, your life.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
I got side-tracked on this thread by one poster's ignorance and I did not comment on the original post.
It's tough when you do that to yourself, isn't it?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:25 AM

378 posts, read 425,432 times
Quote:
It's tough when you do that to yourself, isn't it?
Buzz off, and find someone else to pick on as that's what you seem to do best, as opposed to offering substantive contributions.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 AM

46 posts, read 109,274 times
Natural family planning and tracking cycles isn't an exact science. Anytime we're anywhere near my "most fertile" we use condoms. Which means that about 2 weeks out of the month we use condoms - because I'm paranoid.

And you people can not read. I have said this twice now. My fiance is getting a vasectomy as soon as we have the money for one saved.

DF and I have been together for 5 years. We're getting married next month. I'm supposed to not have sex with my husband because I can't get a doctor get over himself and sterilize me? For how long, exactly? 10, 20, 30 years? I've been to EIGHT different doctors so far. I've called countless others on the phone and asked the receptionist if the good doctor would consider a sterilization on a 22 year old woman with a blood clotting disorder that makes most forms of birth control and pregnancy dangerous. Every single one of them knows my medical history. Every single one of them knows the risk that pregnancy carries for me, and yet they refuse on the basis that I am "too young" and "may change my mind" Change my mind? You mean I might one day decide possibly dying is a good idea?

A dear friend of mine has lived in all parts of the country. She is 35 years old. She does want children. She was pregnant at 25 and it was a very very traumatic experience for her. She lost the baby and almost her life. She was told that attempting to have a child would be fatal to both her and the child.

And yet she's still not sterilized. Why? She "might change her mind".

An acquaintance of mine is also in the same predicament as the friend above. Almost died after becoming pregnant, tried to get a tubal, doctor told her she might change her mind. Her husband went right out and got a vasectomy. It regenerated five years later. Another pregnancy. She aborted immediately. She's finally passed menopause and is no longer fertile so she doesn't have to worry.

Why do I ask this question? Because I can't count the number of times I've been told that if I were to get pregnant despite my medical history, and despite all my precautions, that it would be God's will. And that because it's God's will I should just accept that if I die, then that's what I must do.

I don't go to church anymore. I've walked away from the friends I grew up with and their families. Y'know what it feels like to know that your best friends, the people that you deeply care about would, care far far more about the possibility that a fetus could die, then the very very real possibility that I could die? Y'know what it feels like to know your FAMILY feels that way?

That's why I ask this question. Because there's 300 million people in this country and I KNOW there's got to be at least ONE person that doesn't agree with my family/ex-friends. I asked because I wanted to confirm it.

Be miffed all you dang well want.

To be perfectly honest - if I could safely carry a pregnancy to term, abortion wouldn't even be in the cards, private adoption would be the first route I'd take.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Natural family planning and tracking cycles isn't an exact science. Anytime we're anywhere near my "most fertile" we use condoms. Which means that about 2 weeks out of the month we use condoms - because I'm paranoid.

And you people can not read. I have said this twice now. My fiance is getting a vasectomy as soon as we have the money for one saved.
I'm going to be blunt here. This sounds extremely irresponsible.

You're saying you would probably die if you get pregnant. But you're using no contraceptives 2 weeks out of each month, and only condoms the other 2 weeks.

Do you realize that condoms have about a 15% failure rate?

Why aren't you using contraceptive foam, or some other form of birth control, in addition to the condoms - but especially in addition to nothing?

Before my vasectomy, my wife & I were FAR more careful than this - and pregnancy posed no particular health risks for her. Please be more careful!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Be miffed all you dang well want.
I'm not miffed. I'm worried for you.

If all the things you have said are true, you're playing with fire. Please don't do that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates