Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 AM

311 posts, read 694,133 times

Advertisements

One bedrooms are factored for more than 1 person.A couple sleeping in the bed room and mabey a third person sleeping on the couch.Thats what landlords are thinking.Most pricing is factored for family income.One breadwinner in a family is almost gone the way of the dodo.As has already been posted today you need more than one income to equil the purchasing power of past households.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 08:16 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
My experience is that there is alot of things that are geared toward Single Adults including 1 bedroom condos and apartments. Further, theres Singles cruises offered , Singles Clubs for socializing, online Singles Groups , established Church Singles Ministries, etc... I think it all depends on how much you are willing to work at living a fulfilled single life for this particular season , and how willing you are to get involved. Only you can make that happen, and as a single male, I encourage you to do that .
um, he's right. two people can live in a one bedroom apartment and save money on rent.

it's hard to find apartments that are cheap and decent for a single person starting out. something realistic would be around 300 per month max. there are countries that do take into account single people starting out with very low pay but it's not something that's recognized in many places. a person just has to find roommates and try to find ways to cut expenses.

a smart idea would be extremely small studios or dormtype which include utilities but that's an unusual thing to find.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Apologies for not reading the entire thread.

A huge part of the younger generations not being able to make it is what they spend their money on. In generations past, the home was the priority, with transportation (usually one car per family), feeding and clothing the kids and saving pretty much completing the list.

Today, spending is out of control; especially spending on entertainment and other things that are not necessities. Priorities are not what they were back when.

IMO, the answer to 'is it their fault?' is yes.

Buy or rent only what you can afford, not beyond your means.

You don't NEED toys; don't buy them unless you can buy outright (not financing) and can afford them.

Keep entertainment within a budget that comes out of disposable income AFTER mortgage, rent, electricity, etc. is paid. The only bills a person really NEEDS are those that maintain life.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:39 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
um, he's right. two people can live in a one bedroom apartment and save money on rent.

it's hard to find apartments that are cheap and decent for a single person starting out. something realistic would be around 300 per month max. there are countries that do take into account single people starting out with very low pay but it's not something that's recognized in many places. a person just has to find roommates and try to find ways to cut expenses.

a smart idea would be extremely small studios or dormtype which include utilities but that's an unusual thing to find.
If a single wants to go real economical theres always cheap long term Motels with a kitchenette arrangement, room/basement for rent in private residences , a few people pitching in to rent a house/apartment together, or a room at a YMCA that offers such accomodations which gives you the benefit of swimming and/or fitness . Its very important for an able bodied Man and Woman to get out on their own at a certain point so they can live a fulfilled independent life with some purpose .

Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
Thank you for saying this. I think if we had apartments that were better designed people could still have a decent amount of stuff and still be able to live in smaller apartments like the Japanese do. That way singles could still have their own apartments if they wanted without paying gobs of money in rent.

And to a certain extent, the smaller the place you have, the less junk you buy, which would also be good for peoples' wallets.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:57 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
In generations past, the home was the priority, with transportation (usually one car per family
This is one area where we not only screwed over young people but actually ALL people. For most people, they have no choice but to own cars. 50 years ago, poeple lived in smaller houses on smaller lots, were more likely to live in high density cities or what are now referred to as "inner ring" suburbs (where you could often take a bus or train into the city for work). But as suburbia became more and more prevalent, and urban living often meant living in a dangerous slum, people were forced into living in suburban environments whether they wanted to or not. And suburban living means owning a car, whether you want one or not. That became even more true when businesses also moved out of urban cores and sprawled out into suburbs.

Now we have people making minimum wage who have no choice but to drive to their jobs. This is NUTS! A lot of people could live with dignity on low wages if they had access to decent mass transit and our cities were a little bit denser. I'm not talking Manhattan (or even San Francisco or Chicago) here, but even 20% denser than they are now (so that mass transit would be more cost effective).

Old 02-16-2010, 06:14 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
Many posters refer to the bygone eras (like 40s or 50s), but in relation to this thread topic, was it much easier for a single person at that time to survive? Could everyone who just started out afford to move out on their own back then? .
I lived on my own for the three years before I was married (18 - 21). I shared a house with 15 people (4 floors) and 3 bedroom apartments with 5 other people. I even shared a bedroom with roommates so we all could afford the rent. Closet space was tough, we all worked, but at least I wasn't living at home in NY. I wasn't making great money. I was a bank teller and an insurance investigation report reviewer. I didn't have a car. I took a bus to work. It was in DC in the early 70s. When I got married, I lived in a one bedroom apartment on Long Island. We barely paid our bills and I put myself through college. I didn't have a new car until I was divorced and about 39/40 years old. I would say I lived comfortably starting around age 39.

Should I have lived with my parents all that time? Yikes!

I thought I posted this link in this thread but apparently did not. You might want to read it. It's a report on "How Poor Are America's Poor?"

You may think of someone as poor as someone with no roof over their head and worrying about their next meal but the Census Bureau has a different definition which I think is based solely on income. You will be surprised at what some people own who are classified as "poor" by the government, these days. The report is from 2007.

"43% own their own homes. 80% have air conditioning. 75% of poor households own a car and 31% own more than one. 97% have color TVs and over half own two or more TVs. 78% have a VCR/DVD player. 62% have cable or satellite TV. 89% have microwaves." There's more:

http://www.heritage.org/research/welfare/bg2064.cfm

Last edited by LauraC; 02-16-2010 at 06:36 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
I have been a single male for all my life, 35 years and this subject is a major bone of contention with me.Most every good or service is never priced for a single person even when they say it is.Everything from housing to a hotdog is based off of a double full time income.They dont even bother building houses for 1 person or appartments for that matter.And if you want to save money as a single person sociatal pressure rears its ugly head because the phrase lets go back to my sleeping room dose not work well with the ladies.
I only see it in the supermarket. I don't need a pack of 6 pork chops or a twelve pack of water, for example. I'm single. I can't even carry those things up a flight of stairs by myself.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
It's harder todays for singles to be independent because you can no longer walk into a store, get a job, and start your life. In the 60's, 70's and even the 80's it was easy to do just that. Today our population has risen and our economy has took a dump, leading many to live with parents or friends or family.
Knock me back to 1965 and I'd be a millionaire within a year.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
It's harder todays for singles to be independent because you can no longer walk into a store, get a job, and start your life. In the 60's, 70's and even the 80's it was easy to do just that. Today our population has risen and our economy has took a dump, leading many to live with parents or friends or family.
Knock me back to 1965 and I'd be a millionaire within a year.
Why not?

Both of my sons, when they were still single, did exactly that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates