Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
No, I'm emphasizing it.

What can people expect, beyond opportunities?
My point was that many people don't know about these opportunities, and some people get the worst education from the start. Opportunities are good, but the word needs to get out to the students. If the students don't know, how will they pursue it. I am not saying that is the only reason. I am saying that is part of it as well.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Put the blame on black students ( or students of any race) who drop out of high school where it belongs--------on the student and on their parents !

The Minneapolis Tribune ( a very liberal leaning newspaper) did an article a year ago.
It was to show that the huge disparancy between black students suspended from schools in the metro was due to prejudice.

The paper looked like an idiot as they claimed it was prejudice.
I read the article and disagreed.

One example was from a 15 year old who was suspended 8 times between Sept and January . The other was of a 14 year old girl who was suspended 9 times in that same period.

Both cases were similar------- continuosly walking into the classrooms late, refuseing to quit talking, talking over the teacher and argueing with them when they were told to behave.

The boy was interviewed and gave as a reason that the teachers just didn't like him.
The girl's case was even more strange. The Tribune had a picture of the girl's mother being interviwed ( pot bellied in her early 30's ) and the mother was grinning.

She stated it was the teachers' fault because they just can't accept young,black, females who have ---------" an opinion "

And somehow that liberal Tribune drew the conclusion that race bias has a lot to do with blacks getting suspended more than whites.

Unbelieveable !

Old 01-20-2010, 08:27 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My point was that many people don't know about these opportunities, and some people get the worst education from the start. Opportunities are good, but the word needs to get out to the students. If the students don't know, how will they pursue it. I am not saying that is the only reason. I am saying that is part of it as well.
Right - that is PART of the reason.

And, unlike what Boy Chef and a few others are claiming, this is not merely a matter of race. It's much more complicated than that. And it isn't just one group, or sub-group, of people who is at fault.

Essentially though, it needs to be admitted that this is the year 2010 - not 1940. My job is just as open to blacks as it was/is to me. Every educational opportunity my kids have is also available to black kids (In fact, my daughter graduated from a predominately black high school [70% black] - which is known city-wide as a premier high school). Not only is every college opportunity that is available to my kids also available to black kids, there are a lot of scholarships and grants available to black kids that are not available to my kids.

The opportunities are available for blacks in ways and amounts they have never before been. While that does not excuse racism, prejudices and past discrimination, we have to realize that today and tomorrow are more important than yesterday. Blacks who choose to live in the past are far more apt to have problems than blacks who choose to live for today and tomorrow.

You are obviously living for today and tomorrow - and for that you are to be heartily congratulated!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Put the blame on black students ( or students of any race) who drop out of high school where it belongs--------on the student and on their parents !

The Minneapolis Tribune ( a very liberal leaning newspaper) did an article a year ago.
It was to show that the huge disparancy between black students suspended from schools in the metro was due to prejudice.

The paper looked like an idiot as they claimed it was prejudice.
I read the article and disagreed.

One example was from a 15 year old who was suspended 8 times between Sept and January . The other was of a 14 year old girl who was suspended 9 times in that same period.

Both cases were similar------- continuosly walking into the classrooms late, refuseing to quit talking, talking over the teacher and argueing with them when they were told to behave.

The boy was interviewed and gave as a reason that the teachers just didn't like him.
The girl's case was even more strange. The Tribune had a picture of the girl's mother being interviwed ( pot bellied in her early 30's ) and the mother was grinning.

She stated it was the teachers' fault because they just can't accept young,black, females who have ---------" an opinion "

And somehow that liberal Tribune drew the conclusion that race bias has a lot to do with blacks getting suspended more than whites.

Unbelieveable !

This is true.

However, I have extended family members - who are as white as white can be - who could have written the exact same script. Mama Bear has always gone to bat for her kids, and waged war on the teachers, any time her precious babies have gotten in trouble in school. 3 of her 4 kids have now graduated from high school, yet are all functionally illiterate.

It's a family thing, not just a black thing.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:56 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
This is true.

However, I have extended family members - who are as white as white can be - who could have written the exact same script. Mama Bear has always gone to bat for her kids, and waged war on the teachers, any time her precious babies have gotten in trouble in school. 3 of her 4 kids have now graduated from high school, yet are all functionally illiterate.

It's a family thing, not just a black thing.
That is part of what I was saying as well. It starts with the family. One of the worst effects(possibly the worst) of the crack epidemic on the African-American community is the breakdown in the family unit. I am not for harsher sentences for those who use drugs. With that said, smoking crack is one of the worst things you can do to yourself. The crack epidemic was like fuel into a fire. With a strong family unit and an extended family encouraging education, things can get better. Education has three elements to involve: teacher, student, and parents(and/or other family members). The teachers should be teaching good stuff and encouraging the students to strive for great things, and make it known the opportunities for a good college education that are out there. The student should pay attention in class and not goof off, and take advantage of the opportunities out there for a good education. The parents(as well as any extended family that is there) should be making sure the child does his/her homework and is staying out of trouble and encouraging the child to stay in school.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:50 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
I grew up in a high minority area, only child of a high school teacher, graduated top 10% of my class, and at the top of my auto tech class at a vocational school the same year, and got a 1410 on my sat's... it all comes down to personal drive and family support

Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
I grew up in a high minority area, only child of a high school teacher, graduated top 10% of my class, and at the top of my auto tech class at a vocational school the same year, and got a 1410 on my sat's... it all comes down to personal drive and family support

Bingo !

Regarding education-------------you cal lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Maybe those big mouthed kids ( that the Minneapolis Tribune interviewed) needed a strict principal like I had in high school .

He used a spin-off quote from that one about the horse and the water. He used to say----------" I can't make you study and behave, but I can make you wish you would have "

Old 01-20-2010, 06:16 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
lol marm, nice...

i got in trouble in school, probably more than most kids.. i got suspended for shooting the bird to a yearbook camera (i was in yearbook class, go figure)... i got hollered at a lot for skipping class with pretty girls, and my vocational teacher and i went toe to toe a couple of times over issues, he even tried to have me thrown out by lying to my then boss, and got caught in it...

Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Prove the sources. I bet the sources are biased too.
I bet you didn't even check!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Some of the worst neighborhoods that I've lived in were all white. Neighbors you rarely see. Divorce, substance abuse, alcoholism, spousal abuse, murder-suicide, child neglect, child abuse, elder neglect, elder abuse, psychological disorders and abuse, depression and abuse, pedophiles, teenage truancy, vandalism, teenage drug use, teenage rebellion against parents, parental abuse by teens, wild teenage behavior disturbing the peace, drugs, drugs, drugs, sexual perversions of every sort, pet abuse and neglect, bigotry, trespassing, burglary, embezzlement, forgery, fraud, tax cheats, theft, and so forth.
And that was just one guy!

/I went there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates