Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 AM

643 posts, read 329,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
I'll give a recent example. I'm walking down a busy road when out of nowhere someone tosses a drink at me. Add to that random people in passerby cars who scream things just for the hell of it. Such behavior would be unthinkable in my home country (by the way I'm from a small European country). I also know bored suburban teenagers who have nothing better to do on weekend nights than to go out and vandalize people's property. Most of them do drugs, which also seems to be the norm in this country. I've never encountered such a high degree of inconsiderate idiocy as I have in this country. What is it about your society that produces such degenerates? I expected Americans to be a civilized people.
What do you expect in a country where people believe THEIR rights trumps other's rights.

EXAMPLES.......the carrot cuff woman professor tried to kick out a reporter from a public space and over 200 fellow professors/instructors signed a letter stating HER freedom of speech gives her the RIGHT to squelch others' freedom.

Protesters block freeways,block rail lines, block airport entrances thus violating others freedom.
Yet, liberals say it is justified and call it "peaceful" because despite arrests, no one got killed.

We have become a " me " society and many believe THEIR actions are more important than YOUR freedoms.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
I'll give a recent example. I'm walking down a busy road when out of nowhere someone tosses a drink at me. Add to that random people in passerby cars who scream things just for the hell of it. Such behavior would be unthinkable in my home country (by the way I'm from a small European country). I also know bored suburban teenagers who have nothing better to do on weekend nights than to go out and vandalize people's property. Most of them do drugs, which also seems to be the norm in this country. I've never encountered such a high degree of inconsiderate idiocy as I have in this country. What is it about your society that produces such degenerates? I expected Americans to be a civilized people.
The answer is that the United States is not even close to being the country it used to be back in it's heyday after the second war, yet that is still the popular and pervasive view of the country to people who aren't from here, because they simply don't know any better. (Until of course they see reality for themselves as you have.) Even the Mexicans are starting to turn around and go back to Mexico after realizing life ain't all that much better north of the border. We are skating by on the legacy of what a great place America used to be.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 PM

725 posts, read 805,536 times
Most of the stuff that would be unthinkable in Europe happens in the U.S. because of different demographics. When a piece of land has a sizable portion of groups that commit higher levels of crime and violence of course a good outcome can not be expected.

Even if every group was the most peaceful and kind, fundamentally, growing up around your own people is instrumental in developing and growing a society, culture and way of life. If everyone is from a different background as in the U.S. it is impossible to form a cohesive society and divergent interests and aims will always prevent a good country.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:33 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Most of the stuff that would be unthinkable in Europe happens in the U.S. because of different demographics. When a piece of land has a sizable portion of groups that commit higher levels of crime and violence of course a good outcome can not be expected.

Even if every group was the most peaceful and kind, fundamentally, growing up around your own people is instrumental in developing and growing a society, culture and way of life. If everyone is from a different background as in the U.S. it is impossible to form a cohesive society and divergent interests and aims will always prevent a good country.
Switzerland and Singapore have people of different demographics living there. Switzerland has 4 official languages spoken within its borders. Its capital is German speaking as well as its largest city. The second largest city is French speaking. Singapore has Chinese, Malay, and Indians among its population, as well as other groups. Singapore has 4 official languages too. Both nations are not known for producing degenerates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates