Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manygeese View Post
If I could afford the money, I would take the family on a tour of the USA, doing all those roads you see out west on TV. Love to see the Missisippi.

Somethig great about the USA.
I promise you that there are many more wonderful things about this country, manygeese!
I hope that you will visit it some day!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
" (by the way I'm from a small European country)."

Really, is that country next to France?
Don't seem to recall where 'a small European country' is located.

Too bad you have no pride in your country.

"Why does American society produce......"

To come to such a sweeping statement about the US, based on one incident, reflects a deep seated prejudicial bias that surely follows you wherever you might travel.

Horrible place over here, best you leave ASAP.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:20 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
for a first world country, i can see why the op gets that impression. it probably is several factors from being a young country with a more looser culture, poor immigrants and unbridled freedom and arrogance.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:12 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
I'll give a recent example. I'm walking down a busy road when out of nowhere someone tosses a drink at me. Add to that random people in passerby cars who scream things just for the hell of it. Such behavior would be unthinkable in my home country (by the way I'm from a small European country). I also know bored suburban teenagers who have nothing better to do on weekend nights than to go out and vandalize people's property. Most of them do drugs, which also seems to be the norm in this country. I've never encountered such a high degree of inconsiderate idiocy as I have in this country. What is it about your society that produces such degenerates? I expected Americans to be a civilized people.
Because you are from the small homogeneous EU country (me too btw) and you are projecting your experience to extremely diverse country of 300 million people that is 100 times bigger.

You need to live around the world a little to get some perspective. I can tell you, people in US are in general very very polite compared to any EU country. And I mean any. Don't let me start about racial hatred, multiculturalism, skinheads, all anarchy parties, IRA, neo-nazis, football ultras of your romanticized Europe.... gosh

Small homogeneous EU country, let say Switzerland, Czech. I can find you 100 places in US like that... for example head Boston, North-east, Colorado, San Francisco you are welcome.

South Florida is full of illegals and poor immigrants from Caribbean that are everywhere, well, you shouldn't be walking down the street there but drive the car like middle class people instead if you want your Switzerland experience. You think it's stupid and you don't want to do it - good for you. But it's different culture, welcome to the World Mr. Ignorant, have a seat...

Note: No really, tell me the EU country you are from(I lived/worked in most of them) and I will give you similar example.

Last edited by meet4; 02-24-2010 at 03:23 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
Don't judge a country of 315 million people based on your encounters with a few morons.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
I'll give a recent example. I'm walking down a busy road when out of nowhere someone tosses a drink at me. Add to that random people in passerby cars who scream things just for the hell of it. Such behavior would be unthinkable in my home country (by the way I'm from a small European country). I also know bored suburban teenagers who have nothing better to do on weekend nights than to go out and vandalize people's property. Most of them do drugs, which also seems to be the norm in this country. I've never encountered such a high degree of inconsiderate idiocy as I have in this country. What is it about your society that produces such degenerates? I expected Americans to be a civilized people.

You're absolutely right about that. As an American I agree, there is something very wrong psychologically with my country. It is deep and it is entrenched. However, I think the Americans on the political Left are also aware of it and share a lot of the concerns the Europeans and other foreigners have about it. What happens is Liberals here will get grouped together with the troublemakers in any critique of the American psyche and so that doesn't always present an accurate depiction of the American demographic. There are Americans that want to address American societal neurosis through a civil and intelligent discussion but they are quickly dismissed as "snobbish liberal elites" or "ivory tower liberals" and other such labels by the other half of Americans.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I moved to the U.S. from Australia- and believe me I've seen my fair share of the world, and of the U.S.

I think there are degenerates in every country and in every society- to me it's as if the OP just had bad luck.

I've personally found the American people to be outstanding for the most part. Of course you're going to get some kids / people who are on drugs and who are inconsiderate- but like I said, you're going to get that to an extent anywhere. I've personally found it to be a lesser extent in the U.S. than some of the other countries I've been to / lived in.

I have never, in all of my years or travels here in the U.S. encountered or seen anything even close to what the OP described. I am inclined to think this was an isolated incident as it's far from the norm in my opinion.

I agree that morals and ethics appear to be on a bit of a downward trend of late, but overall I still believe Americans to be superior in friendliness and spirit when stacked up against a lot of other nations.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
Try living in the UK, i.e. same s**t.

Maybe it's an Anglo-Saxon thing?
Australia is probably worse. There are a lot of yahoos here who get a kick out of acting crazy or intimidating you for the thrill of it. They'll yell things, throw things...Australians are very loud and boisterous on the ****, a lot of yelling, occasional fights, and that's just the women lol. Australian women seem a lot louder in public than most other nationalities. You'll always have young punks wanting to start ****, but it seems with a greater frequency here.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Don't judge a country of 315 million people based on your encounters with a few morons.
Well, the U.S does have more people in jails and prisons than any other country in the world. The OP does have a good point.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:07 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
My lack of having drinks thrown at me means I live a sheltered life?

Who woulda thunk?
Not what was meant I don't think. I believe the poster meant that in response to your "that KIND of behavior". I agree with the response, if you've NEVER encountered that KIND of behavior, yes, you must live a very sheltered life, because it is rampant in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates