Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times

Advertisements

I've received a ton of crap from random passers-by for absolutely no reason, even complete strangers. I've had rocks thrown at me, cars swerving at me on purpose, people running after me trying to attack me, accusing me of being a pedophile just because I carry my camera with me everywhere I go, even though I've never taken a picture of any child in my life. Once, some hick slowed down next to me just so he could call me an idiot for jogging at night. Even though I was way off in the grass and not near the road at all. This was all in Georgia.

I've lived in Oregon almost four years and I've never had these kinds of problems. Ever. Well, OK, just once. Some teenager yelled "YEAH!" at me from his car. Didn't throw any bottles or rocks at me though. Some areas are just more prone to producing degenerates than others.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I have my own theory on that and I hope that I don't offend anyone. But the U.S. was founded and populated by rejects and screwballs of one sort or another. Understand that when people left the land where their ancestors had lived for centuries and sometimes thousands of years there had to be a good reason for leaving. Most people don't just take up and leave for some unknown place not knowing what might be waiting for them without something being wrong. Either the community where they lived rejected them or they just couldn't fit in somehow but either way it was a screwed up person and there were millions like that that moved to the U.S. O.K. bring on the flak.
I don't think they were necessarily screwed up, but they were extremists.

Many of the British North American colonies that eventually formed the USA were settled in the seventeenth century by people (the Puritans) who in the face of European persecution, refused to compromise passionately held religious convictions and fled Europe. The New England colonies were established "as plantations of religion." Even colonies like Virginia, planned as commercial ventures, were led by entrepreneurs who called themselves "militant Protestants".

America's founding as a religious refuge has played a large role in its history right up to today.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
I've received a ton of crap from random passers-by for absolutely no reason, even complete strangers. I've had rocks thrown at me, cars swerving at me on purpose, people running after me trying to attack me, accusing me of being a pedophile just because I carry my camera with me everywhere I go, even though I've never taken a picture of any child in my life. Once, some hick slowed down next to me just so he could call me an idiot for jogging at night. Even though I was way off in the grass and not near the road at all. This was all in Georgia.

I've lived in Oregon almost four years and I've never had these kinds of problems. Ever. Well, OK, just once. Some teenager yelled "YEAH!" at me from his car. Didn't throw any bottles or rocks at me though. Some areas are just more prone to producing degenerates than others.
I used to have a boyfriend who was really skinny and nerdy/artsy looking and nearly every time he walked down the main commercial area of a Southern town someone would yell out "fa**ot" at him from a passing car.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:30 PM

229 posts, read 423,868 times
If you live in southern Florida, there's a good chance they are not even from America. I personally would never want to live in Florida. In Texas I did have my car hit by kids throwing eggs out of there truck one time. I was not too happy. Not everyone is like that though. I know I would never do anything like that and do not know anyone who would.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:51 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Well, the U.S does have more people in jails and prisons than any other country in the world. The OP does have a good point.
Yeah, 2 million people in jail.

Don't judge 313 million then.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
'Nuff said right there.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:25 PM

73,018 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:

I live in Georgia and I've gone through some similar stuff, so I know what you have been through. I was walking to the store one day(and my subdivision is on a two lane road out in the woods). Some men in a car drove by and screamed the "N" word at me. A few weeks before, I was walking home from the same store, and some teenager pointed a BB gun at me. In another suburb of Atlanta, I would frequently ride my bicycle home(on the far shoulder of the road to keep out of traffic). I was frequently harassed and screamed at. One driver even tried to spit on me. I got jumped in my own subdivision one evening while jogging once. Once a teenager shot me with a paintball gun when I was coming off of the bus.

I'm glad you found a place where you feel at home. I'm still waiting for that time.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Some people are naive...
I live in a relatively well to do area...and yeah, lots of bummish types around.
Some hide it well, I guess.

Try riding the bus system at night...drug deals going down in plain sight, people tripping out on those drugs, guys arguing about who knows what, bums, crazies rambling...

I remember I was on the bus sitting near a guy who was chanting "kill them, kill them all" or something...over and over again.

This is what civilized society is, apparently.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Lack of good parenting.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:52 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Lack of good parenting.
Simple answer. Parents have gotten lazy. I believe they spend way too much time away from their home. Perhaps spend more time in traffic than at home. I blame the emphasis on suburbs that promotes spontaneous development that increases traffic and a lack of activities to do.......but what about cities, young people in the city are likely at a disadvantage to begin with. With a lack of opportunity available to them, they look for other ways to feel like they belong and harass those who are not like them.

My point is that parents are not there for their kids. Kids do not have guidance to lead them in the right direction. They have to learn the hard way about life especially when they find themselves in trouble or when they mature, which ever comes first. I hope it is the latter for the sake of our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates