Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
See? What you do is just feed into more and more hatred for those not accountable or responsible for themselves because the government takes care of them all.

Isn't that right, Hillrunner?
You must not have any mirrors in your house.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:04 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
You must not have any mirrors in your house.
No, I just cover them as the tradition goes when a loved one passes on.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
People everywhere are jerks. Always have been and always will be. It's human nature to be a jerk and it's a daily fight NOT to be a jerk. Has nothing to do with "music, personal resposibility, blah ,blah, blah." Just read about how uncivilized people behaved during the 1800s in the American West (no rock music or government hand outs then). Argue evolution all you want, but humans are basically boorish primates.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Well it a big country and thing vary form region to region and from tow/city ti town/city and even where in that town /city.Its like going some places in London and the drunl young people. There are tons of places where its not common.You say your from a small european country;so iguess its like many of our small town;very quiet ans peaceful.South Florida is kind of wild and attract those tpes like many palces.Sounds like you haven't travel much of the USA;its huge.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 PM

297 posts, read 519,967 times
Quote:
I think a better question might be, what are you doing that attracts this kind of behavior?
Why do you assume that the OP was doing something to attract that sort of behavior? Bad stuff happens to people all the time; it doesn't mean they did anything to cause it/deserved it. In my high school, everyday when the hallways are crowded with people, some idiot will take off the cap of their bottle and fling it in their air at everyone walking in front of them. They aren't aiming at any specific person; they just want to hit someone. No one in the hallway was doing anything to render them getting hit by a cap. In middle school, people will just fling rubber bands at random people. Teenagers can definitely be jerks especially those who don't have any concept of how their behavior affects those around them.

Also, this may just be my school, but I noticed that the students who act like this tend to be in lower academic classes.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
Why do you assume that the OP was doing something to attract that sort of behavior? Bad stuff happens to people all the time; it doesn't mean they did anything to cause it/deserved it. In my high school, everyday when the hallways are crowded with people, some idiot will take off the cap of their bottle and fling it in their air at everyone walking in front of them. They aren't aiming at any specific person; they just want to hit someone. No one in the hallway was doing anything to render them getting hit by a cap. In middle school, people will just fling rubber bands at random people. Teenagers can definitely be jerks especially those who don't have any concept of how their behavior affects those around them.

Also, this may just be my school, but I noticed that the students who act like this tend to be in lower academic classes.
You're right, traveler92, teenagers can definitely be jerks, I think that we all know or remember that.
Also, as you can see in this thread, teenagers do no hold a monopoly on random acts of rudeness.
Maybe if more of us practice random acts of kindness we could somehow balance it out.
Thank you, it is refreshing to read the perspective of a young poster.
You also remind us not to take things personally.

Last edited by learningCA; 02-12-2010 at 09:48 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 10:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
I'll give a recent example. I'm walking down a busy road when out of nowhere someone tosses a drink at me. Add to that random people in passerby cars who scream things just for the hell of it. Such behavior would be unthinkable in my home country (by the way I'm from a small European country). I also know bored suburban teenagers who have nothing better to do on weekend nights than to go out and vandalize people's property. Most of them do drugs, which also seems to be the norm in this country. I've never encountered such a high degree of inconsiderate idiocy as I have in this country. What is it about your society that produces such degenerates? I expected Americans to be a civilized people.
Um. I've seen enough thugs in Europe to last a lifetime. Heck, didn't you ever attend soccer matches?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:35 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
I'll give a recent example. I'm walking down a busy road when out of nowhere someone tosses a drink at me. Add to that random people in passerby cars who scream things just for the hell of it. Such behavior would be unthinkable in my home country (by the way I'm from a small European country). I also know bored suburban teenagers who have nothing better to do on weekend nights than to go out and vandalize people's property. Most of them do drugs, which also seems to be the norm in this country. I've never encountered such a high degree of inconsiderate idiocy as I have in this country. What is it about your society that produces such degenerates? I expected Americans to be a civilized people.
I currently live in Australia and I can point to the same behavior and I used to live in Canada (Winnipeg) and experienced the same type of behavior as well. And in parts of the UK, there is plenty of anti-social white trash and scumbag immigrants as well.

Fact it, there is no shortage of s--tbags around the world. I am not saying your country might not be more polite, but what I am saying is that this is by no means a strictly American phenomena.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:41 PM

116 posts, read 83,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Um. I've seen enough thugs in Europe to last a lifetime. Heck, didn't you ever attend soccer matches?
Oh god, yes. Although the violence is less of a problem than it was 2-3 decades ago, soccer games in places like the UK, Italy and the Netherlands can still be hostile places to be. Also, try taking a vacation in one of those Spanish resorts and you'll see how "rowdy" people get there too!

Old 02-13-2010, 12:46 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
America loves and worships all that is violent and macho. Narcissism and Ego are also big themes. Alot of it is wrapped around the cry of "Individualism" and "Freedom".

Also, we've long flushed down the toilet such concepts as personal responsiblity, morals, family and tradition. Basically a liberal stew of "It's about me"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates