Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 05:53 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times

Advertisements

Because we subsidize their existence.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:21 PM

72,988 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Degenerates were being produced before they were "subsidized".

Old 07-06-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post
The reason America produces degenerates is because it is populated by people from all over the world, including your country. The problem began at home, or at the "home country." The lesson to learn is that we cannot get away from ourselves. Going to another continent was an obvious failure. To stop the perpetuation of degenerates one has to look within. I suggest you begin introspection on the psychology forum.
America has had its share of degenerates before people from all over the world started moving here.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:16 PM

294 posts, read 219,571 times
Many years ago I started to plan moving to a warmer climate and Florida was on my list. A good friend who had vacationed there much more than I had warned me about her families experience there. Her family was better off than mine and she had traveled much more than me. A point she made that has become obvious to me over the years is that the warmer the climate is the more degenerate people you will deal with. She was very harsh in her comments about Florida. Florida is for the most part a giant sh hole. Some of the most bizarre things happen in that state. South Florida is quickly becoming a third world dump and I will never go there again.
I have been to Hawaii many many times and there are troublemakers there in great numbers also.
Whether home or away I am a early morning person and do not stay out very late at night when most of the troublemakers are doing their thing. Be aware of your surroundings and trust your gut feeling when in doubt. You can often spot a troublemaker if you pay attention and don't go into areas where you don't feel safe. I rarely had racial issues growing up outside Chicago but when I moved to Arizona 30 years ago it was a rude awakening at how many small minded people could be in one place. My favorite saying is little games for little brains. If you behave as an adult the same way you did in 6th grade something is WRONG with you.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:47 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
It's funny seeing all these presumably older posters wringing their hands over crime and degeneracy at a time when violent crime is far lower than it was 30-40 years ago. Especially the poster who has drunk way too much of the partisan kool-aid that he sounds like a political advert all of the time.

Some folks need to turn off the news and take off the nostalgia filter.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:11 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
How do you explain the fact that there aren't so many degenerates in countries that have several times the level of "subsidies", that the US does?

Oh well. Another brilliant theory bites the dust.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 AM

20,368 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Truth is, repeat punishment won't stop the degeneracy going on. Many persons are just like this. Alot of degenerates in American society have been to prison over and over. Prison does not seem to stop people from being like this.
Hm. Actually, I keep hearing that the US has the highest numbers of incarceration in the world. Which points to another potential factor, tied to what you're saying. Prison doesn't seem to help. Sure, it takes a "degenerate" of some kind off the streets for some period of time. But I think that being in prison, for a lot of low-level offenders, breaks whatever path they could have been on, makes it harder or impossible to find a job when they get out, and exposes them to the culture of crime more than they might have been previously. So someone who goes to jail and then gets out might end up being far more "degenerate" than they were in the first place. And then there are the cascading repercussions for their families. More children growing up without parents, as well as onerous financial burdens on loved ones to pay court costs, fines, and (did you folks know?) the expenses charged by the for-profit prison for the prisoner's "room and board."

Oh, sure, they get three hots and a cot on the taxpayer's dime...except that they also will be forced to pay for it, which may be reduced or eliminated if they do labor while in prison which profits the prison which also gets tax funds. For the benefit of private companies, their executives and their stockholders. At least that's my understanding of how all this works?

I mean it seems to me like with systems such as this in place, it's hard to be surprised that we have a lot of "degenerates."

(I keep doing the "quotes" thing because when I see that word, I don't think of criminals but rather hedonists and libertines, I use it somewhat gleefully in my own lexicon, but it's clear that we're talking about criminals more in this thread, so...)

Old 07-11-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hm. Actually, I keep hearing that the US has the highest numbers of incarceration in the world. Which points to another potential factor, tied to what you're saying. Prison doesn't seem to help. Sure, it takes a "degenerate" of some kind off the streets for some period of time. But I think that being in prison, for a lot of low-level offenders, breaks whatever path they could have been on, makes it harder or impossible to find a job when they get out, and exposes them to the culture of crime more than they might have been previously. So someone who goes to jail and then gets out might end up being far more "degenerate" than they were in the first place. And then there are the cascading repercussions for their families. More children growing up without parents, as well as onerous financial burdens on loved ones to pay court costs, fines, and (did you folks know?) the expenses charged by the for-profit prison for the prisoner's "room and board."

Oh, sure, they get three hots and a cot on the taxpayer's dime...except that they also will be forced to pay for it, which may be reduced or eliminated if they do labor while in prison which profits the prison which also gets tax funds. For the benefit of private companies, their executives and their stockholders. At least that's my understanding of how all this works?

I mean it seems to me like with systems such as this in place, it's hard to be surprised that we have a lot of "degenerates."

(I keep doing the "quotes" thing because when I see that word, I don't think of criminals but rather hedonists and libertines, I use it somewhat gleefully in my own lexicon, but it's clear that we're talking about criminals more in this thread, so...)
This confirms that repeat punishment doesn't stop degenerates. Some people become even more degenerate in prison. I agree with you there. I've seen enough prison documentaries to know that prison doesn't stop some people from doing what they do. Now, some people who do go to prison shouldn't be around more violent offenders, or in some cases, shouldn't be in prison at all.

In many cases, the kids who have parents in prison end up in prison themselves later in life.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:46 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
I think to properly discuss this topic there would have to be a consensus amongst posters as to what constitutes a degenerate. There are degenerates in prison and also in the highest levels of government and politics in my opinion.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:48 PM

481 posts, read 422,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
It's funny seeing all these presumably older posters wringing their hands over crime and degeneracy at a time when violent crime is far lower than it was 30-40 years ago. Especially the poster who has drunk way too much of the partisan kool-aid that he sounds like a political advert all of the time.

Some folks need to turn off the news and take off the nostalgia filter.
This. We freak out about the 600 murders every year on Chicago's South Side, but in the 80s and early 90s, 2000-3000+ people were being murdered in NYC annually. Things were far worse back then.

People in any time period just like to feel superior based on their generation. Just another thing they can pat themselves on the back for. IMO, people mostly stay the same throughout time. The environment changes wildly though and people act accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates