Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

The "churchers" unable to "win" over evolution on an intellectual basis have never stopped trying to make it illegal. They lost the argument but want to change the rules. We won the fight but have to continually fight the absurdist’s so we can teach reality instead of religious nonsense. Adults can believe anything they want but I refuse to let them teach complete fabrications to the next generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:09 AM

694 posts, read 1,233,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The "churchers" unable to "win" over evolution on an intellectual basis have never stopped trying to make it illegal. They lost the argument but want to change the rules. We won the fight but have to continually fight the absurdist’s so we can teach reality instead of religious nonsense. Adults can believe anything they want but I refuse to let them teach complete fabrications to the next generation.
I wonder what makes it possible here to lose the intellectual debate but still fight for the legal and practical decision making rights? Politics?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Money buys influence.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
From this perspective I think that there are more Americas coexisting at this time. This is the paradox of this country. Leading and lighting the way in some areas and the laughing stock of the world on matters like in the 21st century still debating the evolution.

The Social and Legal Dimensions of the Evolution Debate in the U.S.

Clarence Darrow, left, and William Jennings Bryan talk in the
courtroom during the Scopes evolution trial.

Feb. 4, 2009
As with many social and political controversies in the United States, the battle over evolution has been largely fought in courtrooms. This has been particularly true in the last 50 years, as courts have been repeatedly asked to rule on efforts to restrict or change the way public schools teach about evolution and life's origins.

Pew Forum: The Social and Legal Dimensions of the Evolution Debate in the U.S.

I wonder if this has anything to do with our education system and media obsessed popular culture.
Isn't the guy on the right the dad from Everybody Loves Raymond? :-)

Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
No support... no contrived discussion... no persuasion... just a simple statement... debate to follow.

We have begun another epic of the dark ages.

Agree/Disagree.. substantiation of my forthcoming opinion pending the response of my fellow subscribers.
No. I cannot see 500 years of Midevil style dark ages where religion rules and knowledge disappears.

Things will change, people will suffer and some will die, but the world will keep turning, and things will eventually get better. We are looking at a disaster probobably on the same scale as the Great Depression/WW II, not armageddon. We may not be retiring in the same country (even if we don't move), but the modern age will go on and climb higher up the proverbial technology ladder.

Modern perspective encompasses the globe, and it is all written down multiple times in multible formats, so it's not likely technology will be lost like in Europe after Rome. And even if the world can't support 7 billion of us, it CAN support a smaller but still huge population.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times

YouTube - My name is Plissken
welcome to the human race

Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
A New Dark Ages? Perhaps.

Or perhaps a New Age of Simplicity where we turn our back on greed and live more a life of small farmers, more local economies selling locally-produced goods and a vastly reduced carbon footprint as we're living in small, efficient and affordable homes.

Fewer cars, more bicycles. Walkable communities. We work closer to home, far less commuting except by public transportation. Think the US prior to WWII.

Does this sound so terrible?

I'm kind of taken with the idea. The village life, come again.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:23 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
The so-called Dark Ages actually brought about more innovation than Rome did in its later years. Given that Rome relied so heavily on slave labor, it made things rather stagnant in developing new ways of doing things. If you study the history of the Middle Ages you wouldn't be so quick to call it "dark."

Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
I think if certain religious leaders get their way, the U.S. could enter an intellectual and cultural Dark Age and join the fundamentalist Middle East countries as the most ignorant places on Earth. The Religious Right and the Taliban have more similarities than differences.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I think if certain religious leaders get their way, the U.S. could enter an intellectual and cultural Dark Age and join the fundamentalist Middle East countries as the most ignorant places on Earth. The Religious Right and the Taliban have more similarities than differences.
This reasoning crossed my mind once or twice as well.
To be honest, I was amazed that no one intervened when Taliban blew up the antique Buddha statutes and especially forced women into burqa's, denied them access to education, forbided them to leave the house by themselves and relegated them to the position of animals, forced to walk behind their husbands, and effectively condemning the widows without sons to starvation as couldn't go out without the company of a male relative. In spite of the outrage of women organizations all over the world, other governments chose to treat these abuses as Afghanistan's internal affairs and no one read the obvious signs of extremism that later brought tragedy to this country.
We are all in it together is the high price lesson of our times.
As financial collapses keep proving in the domino effect of today's world economy.

Last edited by learningCA; 02-25-2010 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates