Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

P.S. Wolves, Bison, Eagles and many other species are recovering or have recovered in the US.
That's a good point actually. While environmental issues may or may not be high on the average person's or politician's of things to fix, the wildlife management system Canada and the US has had in place for the past 80 years has been wildly successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:56 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's your debate response?

We have to be perfect before we weigh in on things we feel are problematic?

We have come a long way as a country in terms of the environment and have a ways yet to go...but China is where we were a couple decades ago.

P.S. Wolves, Bison, Eagles and many other species are recovering or have recovered in the US.
No kidding. Granted, the US is right behind China in emissions, but the US also accounts for 1/4th of the worlds entire GDP. When you are as productive per person with that amount of industry and commerce as the US has been the last 50 years, that is bound to happen.

However, we a loooong ways to go. That would show how much cleaner our standards are, a country (China) with less than half our economic output, leads the US in emissions.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I don't give a damn about such primitive beasts, they only serve to bite magicians' heads off I care about mountain gorillas, whales, and elephants, they are pretty much on our level. But tigers, lions, sharks and such stuff, I won't miss them.
The only thing I don't like about it is the reason behind some of the killing, namely human superstition and greed. Are there still any rhinos left by the way?

Old 03-24-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Are there still any rhinos left by the way?
I know of one, my buddies mother. Other than that, I think they are pretty much confined to zoos.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I know of one, my buddies mother. Other than that, I think they are pretty much confined to zoos.
That must be one heck of a family.

I guess we have a strange image of animals such as tigers, lions, polar bears etc. We have plush animals, we watch movies such as Lion King etc. and thus grow up thinking they are dear noble animals when in fact they are cold-blooded killers. Sure, they have a function in nature, but wherever humans spread, they can take over their functions as well. There used to be wolves all over Europe, now there are just a few left living in remote forests and national parks. Has their absence hurt? I don't think so. And unlike tigers wolves were not really a threat to humans.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That must be one heck of a family.

I guess we have a strange image of animals such as tigers, lions, polar bears etc. We have plush animals, we watch movies such as Lion King etc. and thus grow up thinking they are dear noble animals when in fact they are cold-blooded killers. Sure, they have a function in nature, but wherever humans spread, they can take over their functions as well. There used to be wolves all over Europe, now there are just a few left living in remote forests and national parks. Has their absence hurt? I don't think so. And unlike tigers wolves were not really a threat to humans.
To an extent, you can do without. However, eco systems and food chains are delicate and we have to be careful lnot to cross any points of no return. There is still a lot about the eco system we do not understand, too.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:54 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
LOL - How do I even respond to this post? It sounds like you are repeating a conversation you over heard in a checkout line at a grocery store.

Once again, if you want to have an intelligent debate, gather some facts and environmental budgetary controls and we can talk. I'm not interested in hearing a few news clips you've gathered from MSNBC.

I also find it funny how hell bent everyone here is to defend the Chinese. You know, the same cheap bastards who are knowingly poisoning our children with their cheap, toxic crappy toys.
The chinese also poisoned our cats & dogs with their tainted cat & dog food & lets not forget the toxic toothpaste & their poor human & animal rights. They are NOT nice people.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The chinese also poisoned our cats & dogs with their tainted cat & dog food & lets not forget the toxic toothpaste & their poor human & animal rights. They are NOT nice people.
On purpose? They did all that on purpose, because they enjoy seeing out pets and children die, because they're not nice people? Or was it because the marketers in the US (who are not nice people) couldn't be bothered paying attention to quality control of what they imported, or where it came from, or how it was made, as long as it was cheap?

I've been to China. They are the nicest people I've ever met. And I've been in more than 100 countries to compare them with. They treat visitors with respect, and they treat each other with respect, and they treat their minorities with respect. Government officials are government officials, and they're the same everywhere. But the Chinese people are very gracious. Please go and see for yourself.

By the way, there are a lot of people there in a small space, and they can't afford to be picky. They eat everything. Animals are food.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-25-2010 at 06:18 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On purpose? They did all that on purpose, because they enjoy seeing out pets and children die, because they're not nice people? Or was it because the marketers in the US (who are not nice people) couldn't be bothered paying attention to quality control of what they imported, or where it came from, or how it was made, as long as it was cheap?

Look, It's great that the Chinese people are nice. But, the fact is, they will do anything to produce volume with less capital. So, they use cheap, inexpensive materials, which include chemicals.

They aren't dumb and they know exactly what they are doing when they cut corners while making various products such as childrens toys and animal food. They DO NOT care.

They are in it to make a buck and continue their 7-10% GDP growth rate, at our expense. Period.

Our "marketers" have nothing to do with it. It's those high dollar execs at US corporations who have offshored manufacturing, at any cost. They are just as guilty as the Chinese and they can sit in hell getting raped daily by Peter North, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Look, It's great that the Chinese people are nice. But, the fact is, they will do anything to produce volume with less capital. So, they use cheap, inexpensive materials, which include chemicals.

They aren't dumb and they know exactly what they are doing when they cut corners while making various products such as childrens toys and animal food. They DO NOT care.

They are in it to make a buck and continue their 7-10% GDP growth rate, at our expense. Period.

Our "marketers" have nothing to do with it. It's those high dollar execs at US coprs who have offshored manufacturing at any cost. They are just as guilty as the Chinese and they can sit in hell getting raped daily by Peter North, as far as I'm concerned.
My comment was directed at the poster who said "They are NOT nice people." He's wrong, they are nice people.

Who did you think I meant by our "marketers"? The high dollar execs, whom you castigated. They have a lot to do with it.

If you have a problem with people who are "in it to make a buck", "at our expense. Period", go to one of the several capitalism threads we have going here, and tell them. Don't forget to mention Humana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates