Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Very true . As I said age gracefully. That means do whatever you can to keep yourself looking good, but ,imo, I would go under the knife to do so . And who knows whats in some of productsl like afterbirth and stuff . I don't want any dead things rubbed into my skin but olive oil and things are ok .

Theres always somebody better looking so don't forget to be the kind of person someone can love when the looks are gone . Hollyhoods are great examples of this .

I was very attractive when younger but what most remember the most is my cooking and devotion when rumors are told .

I meant I would NOT go under the knife .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wethepeople1776 View Post
Do you think that the increased presence of, and demand for, over-the-counter anti-aging products (i.e. face creams, eye serums, hair color, etc...) and cosmetic procedures (i.e. Botox injections, face lifts, etc...) perpetuate the stigma involved with aging? What does it say about what our society values?
Products don't kill people, people kill people.

Put any show or movie on that is probably late 1980's and back. Everybody looks real. They have teeth that are "funky" and hard earned crevices and lines in thier faces. They are us.

We don't have that now. Perfection is so fed in and out through the media that even the models need to be airbrushed. So, no, it isn't the products. They wouldn't be there if people hadn't had that hand fed to them.

Most of this stems from the other woman syndrom. For many years, it was accepted that there was another woman. Sexual competition. Sexual competition in relationships and in the work place. The cool thing is that this stuff is starting to nail men now and now they also got sucked into it.

As people left to our own devices we value each other. When we sexually compete for men, we lose. It is a losing game. Only now, the shoe is on the other foot and men are now feeling it.

The saddest part in this is that we watch our children do it. For women, they have been doing this for years. It is almost like a rite of passage. For our boys, its scary.

Oh, well, that is big business for ya.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
Because a youthful state to me is way more practical and desirable than an aging state.
Thats like asking me would i want to be rich or poor all else equal.
Of course I would like to be rich because it would give me the freedom not to have to punch someone else's clock and if the recession(as now) hit I would not have to change lifestyles because I lost a job if I spend my money right.

As i said in my original post, if you choose to grow old gracefully then I respect that and more power to you.

But I prefer to fight it with everything I have.
Thats just me. Because I cannot give a 100% effort if the goal means little or nothing to me.
Well, OK, but you can't change much anyway, you can call yourself fortunate if you manage to slow down aging by 5%

I don't like the word youthful, maybe because I did not like my youth. I was stupid and superficial back then, I think the best age to be is between 30 and 40, that is not too young, but not old, either.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, OK, but you can't change much anyway, you can call yourself fortunate if you manage to slow down aging by 5%

I don't like the word youthful, maybe because I did not like my youth. I was stupid and superficial back then, I think the best age to be is between 30 and 40, that is not too young, but not old, either.
Ah, the truth comes out.
Seems like your premise is based on the fact that you disliked your own youth.
Mine was great in many different ways.
And I would like to return to it.

I'll bet you think voting is fair and that our economy is actually fully based on supply and demand too, right?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
I'll bet you think voting is fair and that our economy is actually fully based on supply and demand too, right?
No, I don't, but what's that got to do with anything? If you are suggestinig I am naive, where did I say something naive before?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, I don't, but what's that got to do with anything? If you are suggestinig I am naive, where did I say something naive before?
lolz, not at all, not at all.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 AM

6 posts, read 13,048 times
All machines and organics aside, is it at all detrimental to the aging to prolong that process of coping with it? If someone uses these products to make the change gradually that is one thing and it might actually be healthy to ease oneself into it, especially since everyone will experience it at different rates. But, at some point I think it has to be acknowledged that there is a risk of becoming preoccupied with stopping the appearance of aging without stopping the process of aging, and I think that this last group could be in danger of damaging their self-concepts, esteem and identity by fighting off a biological process with appearance based means...
There is a line there, and it must be toed carefully.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,102,494 times
Quote:
Do you think that the increased presence of, and demand for, over-the-counter anti-aging products (i.e. face creams, eye serums, hair color, etc...) and cosmetic procedures (i.e. Botox injections, face lifts, etc...) perpetuate the stigma involved with aging? What does it say about what our society values?
Gee, you mean to propose the outlandish possibility that American society might be obsessed with looks, and sex, and youth, and celebrity lifestyles?
Say it ain't so! LOL.
This has been going on for years now. Anyone who doubts our obsessions with sex and beauty need only take even a cursory glance at any large magazine rack in a store. Look at all those pretty overs: what constant theme do you see being exhibited?
So....where exactly is the cave located that you seemingly just vacated?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,012 times
Quote:
No I think women have always wanted to look younger and beautiful. When I hear that I look younger than my age, I say very cheerfully to them thank you. I think the anti-aging products and cosmetic procedures are just resources meeting that demand. Our society puts values on sights and senses not invisible beauty.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:03 PM

275 posts, read 836,652 times
I think it's very sad that we (especially women) are not allowed to age as nature deems inevitable. I always try to make a point of complimenting women who have a great head of grey hair (especially the younger 50/60's ones) because I think it takes guts to do so (and I think it very often looks great!). This whole industry just adds another reason for women to feel dissatisfied with their looks, as if we need another!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates