Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:34 AM

494 posts, read 890,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thank you for validating the car analogy. I entirely agree with you. Leaving society to have unrestricted and unregulated access to arms would be like letting everyone drive anything they want on the highways, without any regulation or licensing or demonstrating of driving skills or personal responsibility.
Au contraire, I did not validate your version of the analogy at all, and unless
you're a blithering idiot, you know that.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 AM

375 posts, read 1,577,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayleengland View Post
I agree. Also, if citizens have no guns, the criminals, police, and govt. would still have guns. Then we peons would be in REAL TROUBLE!! I don't want to even think about how bad that would be! I have my gun and intend to keep it.
In a modern world, (except for some really rural and out of the way places) I do not agree that self defense is a good reason for gun ownership. However, I do support people's right to own guns because it would be impossible to undo the tradition of gun ownership.

So how often do you actually encounter a situation when you have to face a criminal armed with a gun? Do you have something on you that tells criminals not to mess with you because you have a gun? Also, if you didn't have a gun, are you afraid the local police force will invade your home? I live in an urban area where there are criminals and where some may argue the police dept is corrupt but I don't feel I'm in trouble because I don't have a gun.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:42 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,691,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Au contraire, I did not validate your version of the analogy at all, and unless you're a blithering idiot, you know that.
Well...

Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 AM

375 posts, read 1,577,212 times
Quote:
Taking away guns from law abiding citizens out of fear that they will be misused would be like taking everyone's car away simply because some people drive drunk.
Bad analogy. Cars aren't designed to kill. Guns are. And since they are desgined to kill, there should be a lot more stringent control on what kind of guns are available.

Hunting rifles, and small arms for sporting purposes... fine. Have it, use it responsibly, and enjoy. But what kind of restrictions are there on owning assault military style guns? For example, if you can legally buy a hunting rifle, then can you also buy a military style assault weapon? I'm not very familiar on this topic.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
You can own a car without having a drivers license.
OK, no problem. Give everyone the right to bear arms, but make them get a license to shoot it. You could then own a gun without a shooting license.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Au contraire, I did not validate your version of the analogy at all, and unless
you're a blithering idiot, you know that.
N'au contraire pas. You raised the car as a valid analogy, and now you have to live with all versions of it, not just the ones you pick and choose. A gun is like a car, or a gun is not like a car. Your call, n'est-ce pas?.

Be careful calling people blithering idiots, unless you want to join Mahiahiono and Onoahimahi as "non-members" of this forum.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:42 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
Bad analogy. Cars aren't designed to kill. Guns are. And since they are desgined to kill, there should be a lot more stringent control on what kind of guns are available.

Hunting rifles, and small arms for sporting purposes... fine. Have it, use it responsibly, and enjoy. But what kind of restrictions are there on owning assault military style guns? For example, if you can legally buy a hunting rifle, then can you also buy a military style assault weapon? I'm not very familiar on this topic.
No, you cannot buy a "military style assault weapon" off the same rack as ye ol' 700 Remington. You can't buy them at all, unless you have a special permit (a very expensive and invasive permit) to do so. One can buy semi auto versions of these types of rifles. The ubiquitous AR 15, AK's M1A's etc, sans the ability of full auto function. These rifles have a 'sporting purpose' but sporting purpose limitations are non sensicle.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,505,023 times
Quote:
In a modern world, (except for some really rural and out of the way places) I do not agree that self defense is a good reason for gun ownership. However, I do support people's right to own guns because it would be impossible to undo the tradition of gun ownership.
So the right to defend oneself from bodily harm is not a good reason for gun-ownership, but the argument from tradition, a logical fallacy, is?

Quote:
So how often do you actually encounter a situation when you have to face a criminal armed with a gun?
2 million self-defense uses of firearms makes it apparently common. The low-income individuals in impoverished areas, where crime is high, would probably argue that as well.

Quote:
Do you have something on you that tells criminals not to mess with you because you have a gun?
It's called open-carry.

Quote:
Also, if you didn't have a gun, are you afraid the local police force will invade your home?
Non-sequitur. How do either of those relate?

Quote:
I live in an urban area where there are criminals and where some may argue the police dept is corrupt but I don't feel I'm in trouble because I don't have a gun.
Argument from personal incredulity.

Quote:
I've already posted two lists of objects that are just as easily to kill, and the fact that there are far more dangerous things than guns which an indiviual can possess without any regulation what-so-ever, including flamethrowers, exothermic compounds, explosives, bladed weapons, etc. Also to note, the largest school massacre was committed with explosives, not firearms.

Quote:
Hunting rifles, and small arms for sporting purposes... fine. Have it, use it responsibly, and enjoy.
This argument never makes sense. "you can have guns for fun, but you can't have them for self defense.

Quote:
But what kind of restrictions are there on owning assault military style guns? For example, if you can legally buy a hunting rifle, then can you also buy a military style assault weapon? I'm not very familiar on this topic.
Allow me to enlighten you. "Assault military style guns" are used in less than 1% of crimes, and this was before the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. There is no rational reason to ban these weapons aside from an emotional fear of "black guns."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, no problem. Give everyone the right to bear arms, but make them get a license to shoot it. You could then own a gun without a shooting license.
You can drive your car too without a license, legally. You can't do that on publicly maintained roads. There are several laws prohibiting open and concealed carry in a variety of locations, including stadiums, government offices, courts, etc.

Depending who you ask, even the licensing of people to drive cars is an infringement of rights.
Right to drive (http://thecountyguard.org/right-2-drive-1.html - broken link)

Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,279,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No, you cannot buy a "military style assault weapon" off the same rack as ye ol' 700 Remington. You can't buy them at all, unless you have a special permit (a very expensive and invasive permit) to do so. One can buy semi auto versions of these types of rifles. The ubiquitous AR 15, AK's M1A's etc, sans the ability of full auto function. These rifles have a 'sporting purpose' but sporting purpose limitations are non sensicle.
You should go to gun show - it might surprise you as to what is available.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post

Depending who you ask, even the licensing of people to drive cars is an infringement of rights.
Right to drive (http://thecountyguard.org/right-2-drive-1.html - broken link)
Where were you when I needed you, to help me argue with blog-parroting non-thinkers who insisted that driving is a privilege, not a right. The government has a tacit right to regulate any human behavior or activity that can have an effect on non-consenting citizens. Even speech, religion, the press and assembly. And arms. To hear pro-gun people, the only thing the government has NO right to regulate is the well-regulated militia.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-09-2010 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.