Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You tried to argue that you should not be liable because your ancestors played no role in slavery. I countered that your ancestors did not play a role in many of the rights and benefits that you now enjoy today. You could not maintain your argument and was not intellectually honest enough to admit it…..so you did a misdirection/obfuscation. This shows the absence of integrity on your part.
Seems like you are doing the whole misdirection and what not. I wouldn't keep stumbling onto fallacies if I were you.

Just stick back to the original statements rather than go roundabout on something totally different and irrelevant.

The idea was that white people should not have to keep paying back over and over again on the misdeeds that have happened to the blacks back then. Stick to that and only that.

It's like me, being a Chinese person, demanding the Japanese to pay me and my descendants royalty because my ancestors suffered horrific losses during WW2. And other Asian countries demanding that I pay for their losses because I am Chinese. And that I demand compensation from the US government because my people slaved and suffered at the hands of whites during the Gold Rush. It's absurd.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,467 times
Quote:
When you say "Americans" are you referring to Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians...etc, etc. You do know that there is no country officially caled “America” doesn’t you? We live in the "Americas", a continental land mass named after Italian explorer Amerigo Vespuci. Technically, we are the United States of North America. Canadians, Brazilians, Argentineans, Venezuelan, Mexicans, etc, are all countries of the Americas. Thus, while you ponder whether people should be called Africans or black.....ponder if we should be called "Americans" as well.
Well put, I can agree with that, but how about it, what would you have us call these people? And, there is no "technically we are..." We are in reality "These United States of America" Not, "These United States and Un-united neighboring countries of North America"

Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,812 times
Quote:
When you say "Americans" are you referring to Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians...etc, etc. You do know that there is no country officially caled “America” doesn’t you? We live in the "Americas", a continental land mass named after Italian explorer Amerigo Vespuci. Technically, we are the United States of North America. Canadians, Brazilians, Argentineans, Venezuelan, Mexicans, etc, are all countries of the Americas. Thus, while you ponder whether people should be called Africans or black.....ponder if we should be called "Americans" as well.
Picky, picky.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Picky, picky.
Not a picky racist, that's not possible... LOL Some people argue for arguments sake, not to solve, or learn, some of us don't mind an intelligent argument, but when it's one sided with facts, and the other side is just fallacies and lies and ignorance, it gets tiring. I'll side with aveojohn and mathguy, I'm done with this one.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:10 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,701,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Well put, I can agree with that, but how about it, what would you have us call these people? And, there is no "technically we are..." We are in reality "These United States of America" Not, "These United States and Un-united neighboring countries of North America"

My point to you is that RESPECT dictates that a group of people have the self determination to be called what they want to be called. Do you know what respect is? What I have attempting to get across to you is few of the labels that are commonly used are accurate. You say that the misnomer “Black” is what Americans accept. What Americans? Obviously you are not considering the masses of the group that the label is intended to identify. However, physiologically, there is a human phenotype designed, by nature, for the African continent. The Physiology of this group of people is primarily designed through a human evolution that was 99.999% in Africa. So physiologically, they are indeed African peoples (by design genetically) living in the geography of the Americas.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:33 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,701,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Seems like you are doing the whole misdirection and what not. I wouldn't keep stumbling onto fallacies if I were you.

Just stick back to the original statements rather than go roundabout on something totally different and irrelevant.

The idea was that white people should not have to keep paying back over and over again on the misdeeds that have happened to the blacks back then. Stick to that and only that.

It's like me, being a Chinese person, demanding the Japanese to pay me and my descendants royalty because my ancestors suffered horrific losses during WW2. And other Asian countries demanding that I pay for their losses because I am Chinese. And that I demand compensation from the US government because my people slaved and suffered at the hands of whites during the Gold Rush. It's absurd.
First of all, I am arguing principle here. I am not arguing that white people should have to pay anything. I am just pointing out the hypocrisy of the rational that they give for objecting to the ideal of being bound to any past debts of society. One cannot, in principle, argue against the concept of not being bound to past societal debts based upon no personal involvement in its creation by themselves or their ancestors, while willfully embracing many benefits of the past that neither they nor their ancestors had a role in creating. To deny one is to deny the other in principle. To accept one is to accept the other in principle. I don’t see what so hard about that to understand. I am sorry, the rational given was not the example of the Chinese and Japanese and I am sure this nation does not model its actions based upon the Chinese and Japanese cultures.

Secondly, why should people who are not retired pay Social Security? Why should people who did not want to go to war with Iraq or Afghanistan have to pay taxes for those wars? Why should my taxes go to the military when if I don’t believe in war and never started a war with anyone? Why should I have to pay for NASA when I don’t care what’s in outer space? Why did people have to pay for the Savings and Loan Bailout under Reagan and the TARP bailout under Bush and Obama? The truth is that government and taxes are not predicated upon individual involvement in the creation of a problem. In other words, one cannot make a personal responsibility argument as to why they should or should not receive benefits from the past or liabilities from the past.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO the problem with all white cities would be cultural boredom.
  1. Not all white people are the same. A white majority city can be culturally rich with different European cultures.
  2. If a white majority city means "cultural boredom", then I would assume the same goes for cities that are over 70% black or Hispanic.
  3. If a city with a white majority in America means "cultural boredom", I would assume the same for Bejing, China, Tokyo, Japan, and Seoul, South Korea...all of which are over 95% Asian. Duh!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:51 PM

160 posts, read 183,570 times
That article isn't anti-white (a word made up by white people who for some reson nowadays like to play the victim) No one is forcing diversity inside these white cities, I don't know why you are so offended by the article, OP.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:00 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
That article isn't anti-white (a word made up by white people who for some reson nowadays like to play the victim) No one is forcing diversity inside these white cities, I don't know why you are so offended by the article, OP.
Oh, great...here we go.

1. Where's your source for "anti-white is a word made up by white people who for some reason nowadays like to play the victim"?
  2. Even though racial diversity isn't being directly forced upon predominantly Caucasian cities, it is still being shoved down the throats of some people through things like that article.
  3. I'm offended by the article because it bashes an American city with over 500,000 people just because of its racial demographics, is heavily biased, and uses stupid adjectives like "whitewashed" to describe its Caucasian majority.
Anything else?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:33 PM

160 posts, read 183,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Oh, great...here we go.

1. Where's your source for "anti-white is a word made up by white people who for some reason nowadays like to play the victim"?
  2. Even though racial diversity isn't being directly forced upon predominantly Caucasian cities, it is still being shoved down the throats of some people through things like that article.
  3. I'm offended by the article because it bashes an American city with over 500,000 people just because of its racial demographics, is heavily biased, and uses stupid adjectives like "whitewashed" to describe its Caucasian majority.
Anything else?
1. Ever since Obama was elected, all these white people like to play the victim.

"Save our white children! Hispanics and blacks are taking over!"
"Quick! We need to relocate to the northwestern states where we can build our own nation of whites only!"
"Don't be ashamed of white history! All other peoples history is irrelevant and proves that we are the superior race in the world!"
"Why can't there be a WHITE history month!?"

^ Are complaints you hear from white people everyday. In fact I've heard those stupid comments since even before Obama was elected. Some white people call him the Anti-Christ and that he is "anti-white". Ridiculous.

2. And what's wrong with diversity? How does an internet article "shove" diversity down these white peoples throats? If you don't want any minorities ruining your lily white cities then just say so.

3. Oh please. Like black cities aren't given negative stereotypes like crime-ridden, high AIDS rate, uneducated etc. Just because the city is majority black. Stop playing the victim already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates