Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,941,145 times

Advertisements

Sandy, you're preaching to the choir. I'm obviously holding my own. Any African American on city data, esp. in P&OC is likely not to be illiterate, incarcerated or terminally unemployed. Yet there is this: as Indentured Servant notes, the outcomes of employment of blacks and whites are very divergent. The incarceration rates, very divergent. The levels of poverty between black and white, enough said. Are you really going to tell me and everyone here that the difference comes generally down to individual perspicacity?

H

Old 05-05-2010, 02:15 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,718,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
No it wouldn't be the same. But that's because blacks are the minority, remember? Or can't you compute the fact that less of someone makes a statistic smaller?

Nobody made anyone. We all evolved from single cell organisms. Some of us, apparently evolved farther than others. Some of us are still clinging to hatred and oppression of over a century past and using it as our excuse. Not all, but some.
And there it is folks.....if you don't realize that unemployment and poverty rates are based upon percentages, which eliminate numerical distortions or skews......then I apologize for thinking that I was speaking with someone who understood basic math.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-05-2010 at 02:29 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,331,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
You're right, on one account. White people can be discriminated against, and have been, in the work place, just like "black" people. Quit with the sob stories about whitey holdin everyone back, that's an old excuse that doesn't fly
In most cases this is true but there are SOME cases were racism is alive and kicking! I realize that there are many blacks,women,latinos ect that cry wolf when they don't get their way but there are real instances were individuals in position of power are preventing deserving people from succeeding. Pittsburgh VA has the second highest rate of EEOC complaints in the country for years, but yet nothing is done why is that? It can't be that a few blacks are crying racism, there must be something going on there. If you take into account of the history of the city it is highly possible that something is going on there. I figure if it is happening there it could possibly be happening in other places as well. What I'm saying is just b/c you don't see it does not mean that it does not happen.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:08 PM

75 posts, read 108,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I guess they would be more occupied if they started investigating pedophiles and serial killers.
lolol gotta love em pedos and jason voorhees'!

Old 05-05-2010, 05:18 PM

94 posts, read 69,735 times
[quote=Indentured Servant;13985859]It has hardly been established that the debt has been repaid. Furthermore, I am not expecting white people to repay anything, for I am just noting the cause of the effect which is the black condition of today. However, if I were expecting whites to repay a debt of society that was centuries in the making,.....I certainly would not expect that they could pay it back in just a few decades, without totally depriving themselves of consumption. Thus, to be clear, I am not arguing on behalf of white payment, I am simply arguing on behalf of white responsibility for the condition. Its only when whites start talking about "I should not have to pay because....." that I counter their rationale for not having to pay, nothwistanding the fact that I have never argued that they have to pay a cent. Your argument it a red herring.[/QUOTE]

Blacks in the US Live a lot better than anywhere in Africa. If anything Black-Americans should thank Whites for bringing them to an advanced society rather than keeping them back in Africa where they were living in the stone age.

You see high rates of Black crime whether it be in the U.S, Europe, Japan, or Africa. It's not because of the U.S.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,941,145 times
Japan? This better be on the level Randy. I'm going Googling and if I don't find that there is a black slum in Japan like the one in Detroit I'm going to tear you a new one. As for Europe, nope, Canada, nope. There is a much larger sector of middle class and well to do blackness thriving in both places. The percentages of failing blacks in those countries does not exceed the percentage of failing whites as is the case in America. Africa? Don't go there. Africa was fine until the British, the French, the Dutch, the Portugese... ... white people crawled all over it colonizing, Christianizing, destroying the stability of the country by arming factions here, there and leaving some defenseless. Same with the Middle East which is really north Africa, look at a map. Best you stop here because I'm all over this. I admit you've thrown me a wobbler with this Japan thing. Personally I think you're ******* down my leg, but I'll get back to you on that.

H

Old 05-06-2010, 05:40 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,863,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
And there it is folks.....if you don't realize that unemployment and poverty rates are based upon percentages, which eliminate numerical distortions or skews......then I apologize for thinking that I was speaking with someone who understood basic math.
Perhaps you would like to retract your statement about whites and blacks in the workplace. You are the one that neglected to remember that since blacks are the minority, there will be less of them unemployed and discriminated against than whites.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:38 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,435,938 times
This thread has run it's course.

Thread closed
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.