Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:44 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,462 times

Advertisements

Well I've lived in Portland for 35 years and as far as I know anybody of any ethnicity is welcome to move here. We have a a sizable Hispanic community that is well entrenched in Portland and suburbs. In my everyday life I run into Koreans, Vietnamese, Hispanic, Japanese, Chinese and yes, a few African Americans. We are not as lily white as the article would have you believe, And for the record we have ethnic restaurants up the wazoo and a frequently lauded restaurant scene on the whole. Our diversity is what it is and isn't because we are keeping anyone out. Why all the agony over it? Come one, come all - you are welcome here.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzz View Post
You mean like the DC snipers?
You're naming one of a few black serial killers/mass killers out of MANY white. I was just making a point that there is always someone complaining about minorities moving into their "perfect white" neighborhoods, when in reality they're not so perfect.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Italian, French, German, Scot, Irish, Polish, Russian, Lebanese, Swedish ... Yeah. Caucasians sure cook boring food.

Lebanese? lol

Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
Racial stuff aside, little beats Italian cooking. My grandmother is an amazing cook.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 PM

42 posts, read 76,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
You're naming one of a few black serial killers/mass killers out of MANY white. I was just making a point that there is always someone complaining about minorities moving into their "perfect white" neighborhoods, when in reality they're not so perfect.
No community is perfect. We know that. You ask any resident if they are 110% fine in their community, no matter how white or how black or whatever the case may be, and chances are they will say there are some things that they wish they could change.

I have never met anyone who has believed in "perfect white" neighborhoods. When I myself live in a 95% white community.

Don't start raising hell on me like you have so far in this thread, I grew up in a 70% black/20% Hispanic area. I'm well seasoned in "both" white and black communities.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear View Post
No community is perfect. We know that. You ask any resident if they are 110% fine in their community, no matter how white or how black or whatever the case may be, and chances are they will say there are some things that they wish they could change.

I have never met anyone who has believed in "perfect white" neighborhoods. When I myself live in a 95% white community.

Don't start raising hell on me like you have so far in this thread, I grew up in a 70% black/20% Hispanic area. I'm well seasoned in "both" white and black communities.
But, you do realize that there are MANY people who think this way?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM

42 posts, read 76,424 times
Quote:
But, you do realize that there are MANY people who think this way?
Nobody I've ever met. Maybe where you're from, but the only people I've ever seen go on about "white power" were just dicking around.

I have talked to people in other areas who do prefer white neighborhoods because of crime rates. In complete honesty, and statistics speak, white neighborhoods are safer than minority ghettos.

Crime rates OVERALL are dropping, but minorities tend to stay in the lead because of the majority of them living in poverty areas or ghettos, which spells trouble.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear View Post
Nobody I've ever met. Maybe where you're from, but the only people I've ever seen go on about "white power" were just dicking around.

I have talked to people in other areas who do prefer white neighborhoods because of crime rates. In complete honesty, and statistics speak, white neighborhoods are safer than minority ghettos.

Crime rates OVERALL are dropping, but minorities tend to stay in the lead because of the majority of them living in poverty areas or ghettos, which spells trouble.
It's so ironic that you are in Detroit...the poster city of "white flight".

Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,167 times
In a word, nothing.

If a place is majority white, then so be it. I don't see anyone rasing a stink over mostly black cities.

@NYchi: you're acting just as bad as the white bigots on here right now. I bet if someone started banging on about the social ills of the Black community I'm sure you'd be the first one livid.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Lebanese? lol
Your well-thought-out comprehensive thoroughly-researched reply failed to clarify one thing. Do you think Lebanese are not white?

If "lol" is the best you can do in explaining yourself in a great debates forum, you do not deserve the attention of any of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates