Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Why are you being so...tense? Calm down, seriously.
How am I being tense, when youre the one who created an angry thread with racial overtones? LOL

Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
How old are you? and what does that have to with anything? I grew up in a majority white area (I'm black) and someone shot a gun off in our class, there were multiple pedophile arrests; not to mention the harassment that some blacks had to deal with. Living in a white area is not always safe.
At what age does the average school child learn that you don't get arrested before you commit a crime?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:18 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
Quote:
How am I being tense, when youre the one who created an angry thread with racial overtones? LOL
I didn't force you to come into the thread.

I don't like that article, and I wanted to express my feelings and beliefs about its contents. I'm not pointing fingers or lashing out at a specific person.

If you want me to be tense, read the following:

Spoiler
There is almost always someone (like you) who just has to come into one of my threads and whine about me, my OP, or my beliefs on whatever topic, usually about race. I don't post anything racist, yet there is always someone who is *****ing and moaning about something I wrote. I may start thinking that these people are just trolling with the intention of cyber-bullying others.

If there weren't rules, I could be far more tense than that.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
At what age does the average school child learn that you don't get arrested before you commit a crime?
They were arrested for attempted sexual assault on children...that's a crime.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I didn't force you to come into the thread.

I don't like that article, and I wanted to express my feelings and beliefs about its contents. I'm not pointing fingers or lashing out at a specific person.

If you want me to be tense, read the following:

Spoiler
There is almost always someone (like you) who just has to come into one of my threads and whine about me, my OP, or my beliefs on whatever topic, usually about race. I don't post anything racist, yet there is always someone who is *****ing and moaning about something I wrote. I may start thinking that these people are just trolling with the intention of cyber-bullying others.

If there weren't rules, I could be far more tense than that.

The category is called "great debates" so if you don't want a debate, you should take your rant somewhere else.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
Quote:
The category is called "great debates" so if you don't want a debate, you should take your rant somewhere else.
I'm good, thanks.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:08 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Quote:
This article (http://www.newgeography.com/content/00609-sushi-without-japanese-portlands-cultural-dilemma - broken link) irritates me. I'm not going to call it anti-white, but I'm going to call it "irritating". I don't understand what's wrong with living in a city that has a European American majority.

This is why I think multiculturalism and racial diversity is overrated.

A city doesn't have to have a non-white majority to be a good place to live.

To be honest, it's crap like the statements in that article that make me feel a little insignificant in America just because of my race (White/Caucasian). It makes me feel that I have no culture just because of my race. Every human being belongs to a culture regardless of their race or ethnicity.

Here's a quote from the article:

Advocating for the coloring of white neighborhoods seems extreme. But Portlanders do themselves a disservice by not at least discussing the potential consequences of living in a whitewashed city.

My question is: What the hell?

I know I make quite a few threads on race, but there are many things about it that just annoy me, such as the content of that article.

Thoughts? Opinions?

*Please don't complain about me or my post. I've had enough of people doing that when I make threads. Just state your thoughts and opinions. That's all I ask*
Why be annoyed by some obscure article on the internet authored by someone nobody has ever heard of? It's just an opinion piece written by a non-white person who feels he has a point. It's not like anyone in Portland will suddenly force neighborhoods to be less white. The racial make up of cities and this country will become what it will become, and there's nothing you or the article's author can do about it. No need to feel insignificant over one person's opinion.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
That's what I was thinking. I always thught the problem seemed to be that people where exiting the cities for the burbs.Inner city decay seems to be more of a problem.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:37 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,077 times
I'll agree that the article was a little insensitive. I live in Texas. I love that San Antonio has a little Mexican flavor and that Austin has an "Anglo" flavor. Let Portland be Portland and if that means white/Anglo/whitewashed/whatever...so be it. There's room for everyone in this country.

ETA: I by no means meant that segregation is ok.

Last edited by simpleharmonicmotion; 04-05-2010 at 08:28 PM..

Old 04-05-2010, 07:52 PM

324 posts, read 573,671 times
Author of the article must be a nonwhite, as Vaughnwilliams suggested, or if white,then nicely brainwashed by the multiculturalism/diversity doctrine. He plainly ignores the fact, that most of the Portland whites wish to keep that way, so the place wouldn't become less civilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.