Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,354,433 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned before I really don't care what race the population of any city or town, as long as I can go through without being being harrassed for DWB (driving while black) or be treated any differently from my white counter parts

Old 04-30-2010, 03:56 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
1. Ever since Obama was elected, all these white people like to play the victim.

"Save our white children! Hispanics and blacks are taking over!"
"Quick! We need to relocate to the northwestern states where we can build our own nation of whites only!"
"Don't be ashamed of white history! All other peoples history is irrelevant and proves that we are the superior race in the world!"
"Why can't there be a WHITE history month!?"

^ Are complaints you hear from white people everyday. In fact I've heard those stupid comments since even before Obama was elected. Some white people call him the Anti-Christ and that he is "anti-white". Ridiculous.

2. And what's wrong with diversity? How does an internet article "shove" diversity down these white peoples throats? If you don't want any minorities ruining your lily white cities then just say so.

3. Oh please. Like black cities aren't given negative stereotypes like crime-ridden, high AIDS rate, uneducated etc. Just because the city is majority black. Stop playing the victim already.
  1. Where in my post did I say Obama was the anti-Christ and anti-white? That's irrelevant to this discussion.
  2. Where in my post did I say that racial diversity was wrong? I criticize it only because I think it's overrated. I don't live in a so-called "lily white" city. I never said that minorities were ruining "lily white" cities.
I'm not playing the victim.

You're overreacting.

Calm down.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:01 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,789,564 times
Nothing...

Old 04-30-2010, 04:34 PM

I really want a moderator to lock my thread now because this is getting out of hand. I know this is Great Debates, but this thread has passed the threshold of debating, and has now become a thirty-seven page flame fest with hostile arguing.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,741,969 times
I wonder why some people are quick to try to censor or close a debate. Certainly if one has a problem with diversity of opinion or thought....they will indeed have a problem with other types of diversity.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,679,771 times
I didn't read through this entire thread, so I apologize if my comments were made elsewhere.

OP, I think you're just overreacting to this article. I grew up in California, where, as a white person, I was technically a minority. Then, I moved to the northwest and went to school in Seattle. It was weird. Everyone was white. I felt a little out of sorts. Where were all the Mexicans? I felt ill at ease.

Now, I live in the Atlanta metro area, which is majority black. When I go home to California, and see all the brown faces, I'm struck by two things: one, wow, this place has a lot of Mexicans and two, where are all the black people? I feel a bit out of place when I'm not around black people. I interact with them on a daily basis.

That's all this article is about. Portland, and the northwest at large, is a place where a lot of Californians move to. Californians are used to diversity. It creeps us out when we move to a majority white place. Furthermore, Portlanders and Californians are pretty much liberal so we both value diversity. We see homogenity as a bad thing. That's just the way we are. We were raised to think of variety as the spice of life.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:24 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,242,959 times
If this thread is closed, I would like to continue the debate addressing the potential responsibility, and subsequent action, on the part of white folk towards minorities.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I wonder why some people are quick to try to censor or close a debate. Certainly if one has a problem with diversity of opinion or thought....they will indeed have a problem with other types of diversity.
Whatever you say...

Where are you getting these assumptions?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I didn't read through this entire thread, so I apologize if my comments were made elsewhere.

OP, I think you're just overreacting to this article. I grew up in California, where, as a white person, I was technically a minority. Then, I moved to the northwest and went to school in Seattle. It was weird. Everyone was white. I felt a little out of sorts. Where were all the Mexicans? I felt ill at ease.

Now, I live in the Atlanta metro area, which is majority black. When I go home to California, and see all the brown faces, I'm struck by two things: one, wow, this place has a lot of Mexicans and two, where are all the black people? I feel a bit out of place when I'm not around black people. I interact with them on a daily basis.

That's all this article is about. Portland, and the northwest at large, is a place where a lot of Californians move to. Californians are used to diversity. It creeps us out when we move to a majority white place. Furthermore, Portlanders and Californians are pretty much liberal so we both value diversity. We see homogeneity as a bad thing. That's just the way we are. We were raised to think of variety as the spice of life.
I think that I'm not. I don't like the tone of the article. The quote I posted in my original post is a good example.

I respect your statements in this post, but I don't respect the statements of the author of that article.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I think that I'm not. I don't like the tone of the article. The quote I posted in my original post is a good example.

I respect your statements in this post, but I don't respect the statements of the author of that article.
I don't know why you would want this thread closed in light of the more interesting points brought by Indentured Servant. The article has little value, but his points are worthy of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates