Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 07:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Please tell me you're kidding.
Nope, not kidding.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:51 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Nope, not kidding.
Okay, then.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:07 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Okay, then.
Well, maybe the good conversation is over-shadowed by all the attacks.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
Whatever percentage of my taxes go to Affirmative Action programs and other social programs aimed at blacks is still paying that debt. Essentially at gunpoint, as that's how laws are enforced. So I'd say the debt is still being extracted.

The Black Tax continues in many, many ways.

We are all paying for the stupidity of the people who brought africans here in the first place.
Quote:
They were too stupid to realize you can't transplant anything from africa to any other less hostile biosphere and not have it eventually outgrow and choke everything else out.
Humans aren't excepted from the laws of nature.

I suspect that someday, Native Americans will be less angry about the encroachment of whites, than the transplantation of africans to the Americas.

The Carribean is a fine example. Most of the Carribean went through the same cycle only faster. Whites supplanted Arawaks, and were then supplanted themselves by an overgrown african population.

And... despite and the screaming by blacks about whites... I've never seen any black argue that the Carribean should be given back to the Native Americans. So blacks aren't on any higher moral grounds than anyone else.
weeds?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:16 AM

64 posts, read 105,671 times
Seems to me the debate has shifted from what the topic was supposedly about to a sideshow argument about historical compensation for blacks.Not sure what the relevance is to the original post which was after all just one opinion from someone writing a magazine article.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 3,454 times
Sensibility to other humans is the key issue for me. If someone is purposely rude to me, I'll call them on it whether they are black or white. I've seen neighborhoods that were once white - an area I couldn't afford but would hear black friends' say they'd love to live there. I always wanted to as well. Now, the area is predominately black and has been trashed to no end. It's become dangerous as well. That's not stereotyping. That's a fact that a person can visually witness. I worked for a newspaper and dealt with both black and white cultures for 20 years. Blacks will talk about "CP" time. I know what it is and it's messed with my schedule over and over.
I heard a black neurosurgeon on NPR speaking about not going back to his home area of Harlem because his friends on the street made fun of him. He sold out to the 'white man' because of his education. He told Terry Gross, 'living there was like a bucket of live crabs - you don't have to ever put a lid on it because when one is trying to crawl out, the others drag him back down'.
As a white woman, I've been discriminated against all my life. Many things I wasn't allowed to do 'because I was a girl'. Then came workplace sexism. Not to mention that women are being stalked, raped, kidnapped and murdered every day in this country. A black man is safer walking down the street that a woman of any race, creed or color. The world is desensitized to the plight of women thanks to movies and video games that filter in to young minds. We're simply prey. I can't fight the Civil War the rest of my life. I know it's over but apparently many don't think so. I have enough on my plate just trying to stay safe. Can you imagine how much it sucks to be looking over your shoulder everyday?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 AM

94 posts, read 69,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes, one should study history and note that in every generation, for the last 150 years, whites have rationalized a negative view of black people and have argued that “there is no race problem”. Whites have never been “Up to date” in recognizing the wrongs of their contemporary behavior, as a whole. There is like a 40 or 50 year lag in recognizing that the treatment of blacks in certain eras was wrong. IQ test basically test how well a person can recognize patterns. However, in order to recognize patterns, you have to have memory of those patterns stored somewhere in your brain. Therefore, you either have a low IQ as a result of not being able to recognize patterns or you have a low IQ for having a poor memory…..either way…..you are not coming off as intelligent….by any metric.
There are high rates of Black crime by Blacks in London, various European countries which let them in, Canada, and even countries in Africa which never had a colonial history. Who can you blame then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
. It creeps us out when we move to a majority white place.
Would you feel more at place in a majority Hispanic or Black place? Would you feel safer?

I have Black people at work complain about Whites but then want to move as their children get older to another county, a county which is overwhelmingly White and has better schools. Wonder why? They don't realize what the problem actually is.

Last edited by randyrr; 05-02-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 12:59 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrr View Post

Would you feel more at place in a majority Hispanic or Black place? Would you feel safer?

I have Black people at work complain about Whites but then want to move as their children get older to another county, a county which is overwhelmingly White and has better schools. Wonder why? They don't realize what the problem actually is.
Randy, for most of my life I have lived in either majority Hispanic or Black areas. What I have learned from that is that people are people. I feel perfectly comfortable and safe around non whites. If I were to visit the White House, I wouldn't be scared that the President is going to mug me.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Randy, for most of my life I have lived in either majority Hispanic or Black areas. What I have learned from that is that people are people. I feel perfectly comfortable and safe around non whites. If I were to visit the White House, I wouldn't be scared that the President is going to mug me.
That's because the president isn't your stereotypical black man, not that he's 100% "black" anyway. The president is not a baggy pant wearing, big body chevy on 24" rims driving hoodrat, that most black stereotypes develop out of.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:36 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
That's because the president isn't your stereotypical black man, not that he's 100% "black" anyway. The president is not a baggy pant wearing, big body chevy on 24" rims driving hoodrat, that most black stereotypes develop out of.
JB, that's exactly my point. The president, just like virtually every other black man I have ever known, isn't your stereotypical black man. By growing up and living in highly diverse areas, I have come to the startling conclusion that there really isn't that much difference between whites and non whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates