Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:51 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Virginia was brought in, when Lincoln ordered Virginia to gather troops, to invade North Carolina. They declined, saying they didn't want to fight their brothers. Doing this, they sided with the confederates, and left the Union.
Lincoln ORDERED Virginia to gather troops? Couldn't they tell old Abe to stuff it, sorta like Kentucky's Governor Magoffin did? In fact, didn't Kentucky remain neutral for the first 6 months of the war, until it was invaded by Confederate forces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
Watching CNN tonight, there was a debate about the State of Virginia celebrating Confederate Pride Month in April, leaving OUT the SLAVERY part of the American Negro History.

Some people find it contentious, disingenous, and an abomination.

What is your opinion on the above matter, and do you think the State of Virginia is correct in leaving out such an important factor of American History, which will, no doubt, be a role model for other states to follow? Thank you,
I would expect this kind of thing from other, less enlightened Southern states, but not Virginia. I imagine the Governor is mostly sucking up to the Teabagger crowd and just playing politics. I could understand if it was to be called "Confederate Remembrance Month", but "Pride"? Proud of what, exactly? What did any living resident do that contributed to the Confederacy in order for them to be proud? Then again, I'm not a big fan of all the ethnic pride tags that spring up from time to time. "I'm proud to be Black, I'm proud to be Irish, I'm proud to be whatever". It just rings hollow for me and cheapens the meaning of actions that really deserve it.
And to not mention the slavery issue is just cowardly.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:10 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Quote:
Watching CNN tonight, there was a debate about the State of Virginia celebrating Confederate Pride Month in April, leaving OUT the SLAVERY part of the American Negro History.

What is your opinion on the above matter, and do you think the State of Virginia is correct in leaving out such an important factor of American History, which will, no doubt, be a role model for other states to follow? Thank you,
It's nothing more than a bunch of bitter white dudes getting even for all the "black history" months and BET television and JET magazine, that's all

Old 04-12-2010, 06:19 PM

295 posts, read 320,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
Why celebrate a defunct government born out of treason?
What about this FEDERAL GOVERNMENT today????
Talk about treason not to mention the. WE THE PEOPLE!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 PM

295 posts, read 320,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
It's nothing more than a bunch of bitter white dudes getting even for all the "black history" months and BET television and JET magazine, that's all
That was over 100 years ago, now my Boy, what about the modern day slavery in Africa? What about the sale of young children for sex?

Give me a BREAK, what are you doing today to fight this type of human sufferage???

Getting even for what? I like Black History Month, I occassionally watch BET and honestly I do not read JET, so as a Caucasion American, do not speak for all of us!

As for Confederate Pride, I think it's stupid, why not like Georgia and have Confederate History Month.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:41 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:

First of all, the Virginia governor's proclamation is not for Confederate "Pride" Month. It is Confederate "History" Month. A bit different.

Secondly, I just read again the proclamation, and nowhere do I see the word "pride" used.

Also, there is nothing in it that asks people to "celebrate". Show me where it says it should be celebrated. The proclamation says that the Confederacy "should be studied, understood and remembered by all Virginians, both in the context of the time in which it took place, but also in the context of the time in which we live".

Last edited by tgbwc; 04-12-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 06:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton, old times there are not forgotton look away, look away, look away, Dixieland. Virginia had the most slaves of any state in "These United States of America" in 1860. Almost 500,000.
Confederate History, Black History, Chicano History get rid of them all as history months. The only History to be highlighted should be American History and the context of all events that makes up that History.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Lincoln ORDERED Virginia to gather troops? Couldn't they tell old Abe to stuff it, sorta like Kentucky's Governor Magoffin did? In fact, didn't Kentucky remain neutral for the first 6 months of the war, until it was invaded by Confederate forces?
Lincoln learned his lesson with Virginia, and didn't try and conscript soldiers by draft, until well after the war had started, from "neutral" states.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Someone mentioned that hallowed places like Mount Vernon and Monticello would have to be closed down because slavery was part of those estates. [If we "disallowed" Confederate pride]

It made me reconsider for a moment...

But no, I am against celebrating the Confederacy because we fought a war to get rid of it. Southern pride can be acknowledged in other ways besides paying tribute to a symbol synonymous with slavery and succession. Bavaria doesn't need to fly the Nazi flag to celebrate its rich past.

Gov McDonnell was not my choice, he's clearly playing party politics and as is the case with Conservatives today, he doesn't know where to draw the line.
The difference is, that Nazis were trying to kill, an entire ethnic group. What the United States did, and I say United States because it was the whole country, was bring people over, as slaves.

This was a legal act, under the very document that many here profess to love, and northerners owned slaves, just as the south. Many northern states outlawed slavery, southern states didn't. It was that simple.

The south was willing to give up slavery. However, they had bought legal property, and that property was being threatened of being taken away. The Republican politicians weren't willing to pay Southern owners, for their legally held property.

To equate it to today, imagine the federal government coming to your house, demanding you give up half of the property. Offering you no money in exchange for that property.

I'm willing to bet, you'd be willing to take up arms in defense of that property. Thats what caused the civil war. Republican politicians, who wanted to bankrupt the south, under the guise of morality.

You see, if they could force through legislation, saying that slavery was null and void, then Southern land owners would loose HUGE sums of money, money they invested into business. This would allow banks to seize the property, allowing Northern business owners to purchase the land, for next to nothing.

It was a form of theft, plain and simple. Regardless of the morals of slavery, what the north did was theft, pure and simple.

Its hard for people today to understand this. We see slavery as being wrong, period. I do to, don't get me wrong. But at the time, it was legal, and the only way to end it properly, was to pay southern owners for their current slaves, and free them, then ban the importation of any more slaves.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Virginia didn't get brought into the war, because of slavery.

Virginia was brought in, when Lincoln ordered Virginia to gather troops, to invade North Carolina. They declined, saying they didn't want to fight their brothers. Doing this, they sided with the confederates, and left the Union.

That said, slavery was a very important part of the civil war, but the seeds went back many years earlier. The country was split along cultural and political lines. States rights was a very real issue in the day, and its becoming one today.

Always remember, before the civil war, we were referred to as "These United States of America"

That was changed after the war to "The". Very different world in 1860.

This is correct... That war had nothing to do with slavery, when it started...

Slavery was a common thing from ancient times in many cultures. It was legal before the Rev War and so remained legal after that war untill the War between the States.

Americans did not invent slavery, but it is too bad men have ever invented slavery. Slavery continues to this present day in Africa, and Indonesia.

Unfortunatley so does racism and from all sides... No one is guilt free, no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates