Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,688,533 times

Advertisements

I live in a small town that is supported by workers from the timber business and farming, they are often in town and looking pretty dirty but most accept that kind of "work" dirt as being the norm, on the weekends most people are as clean and presentable as can be expected of poorer people without any fashion concerns.

I grew up in the fifties and was in that generation that felt compelled to "dress" for dinner out, or travel and entertaining. In the sixties we had another "style" brought about by the discovery of thriftshop clothing and refuting the idea of "conformity" of wearing a suit and tie. Of course in time we all had conformed to the new look of dressing down.

I don't remember seeing much of the filthy types among those who adapted the hippy look or philosophy but I guess they were there. All in all I'd have to say that the living standard in regards to cleanliness have sunk to a pretty low level throughout America, and yes it's amazing how the people in Mexico and south America were almost always clean and polite in spite their social standing or access to modern bathing facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
I grew up in the fifties and was in that generation that felt compelled to "dress" for dinner out, or travel and entertaining. In the sixties we had another "style" brought about by the discovery of thriftshop clothing and refuting the idea of "conformity" of wearing a suit and tie. Of course in time we all had conformed to the new look of dressing down.
My dad grew up in the 50s and he will not wear jeans in public, because they're work pants. As kids/teens we weren't allowed to go to church or out to dinner in jeans, because dad wouldn't stand for that. And woe be unto any suitor who wore a hat in the house...

Old 04-30-2010, 01:31 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,780,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I'm putting this here rather than the fashion forum b/c I want to go deeper into the issue than just what we wear.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm 50 and have seen a lot of fashions come and go, but can't believe what I'm seeing these days--mismatched socks, saggy baggy jeans, bra straps hanging out, etc. I know I probably sound like an old lady, "In my day. . ." Oh yeah, and we all weigh about 30 lbs more than we used to in the old days too.

What got me thinking about this was when I was going thru old photos and found a pic of my mom when she graduated from nursing school and she was wearing her crisp white starched uniform. She looked like a professional. And then I remembered when I was a girl scout and we had uniforms that looked a lot like the nurses uniforms of those days and they were hideous but we loved them b/c we felt so grown up and professional. We had a sash with all the badges we'd earned and it gave us a feeling of accomplishment to wear that to school each week so we could show them off.

Nowadays, the nurses run around in their pajamas and I'm not knocking that b/c it's so much more comfortable, but what are they losing in professionalism when they wear scrubs with bunnies on them? And when the girlscouts redesigned their uniforms for comfort, the girls pretty much lost interest in them and I haven't even seen a scout in uniform in years.

My teachers wore skirts and high heels that clicked and they inspired some awe in us, but nowadays I've even seen some teachers wear denim shorts to school.

I don't know that I'm exactly complaining--I like my comfort as much as the next person, but I do feel that we've lost some pride maybe. Thoughts?
I think here in America , not only do we have apathy toward morality but we have adopted apathy toward how we look ; I believe entitlement coupled with disrespect make up the catalyst for this. Its disappointing to see people walking around with 20 some holes in their jeans, bras that look like they belong to their young sister , 3 shades of hair color , pierced things in the nose and eyebrows , ponytails on professional guys, and 'men' raiding their wives jewelry boxes for earrings. The downward trend will continue and we will be writing about it on CityData in another 10 years when a more titilizing degrading look enters the scene to stay.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:35 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,780,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I'm putting this here rather than the fashion forum b/c I want to go deeper into the issue than just what we wear.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm 50 and have seen a lot of fashions come and go, but can't believe what I'm seeing these days--mismatched socks, saggy baggy jeans, bra straps hanging out, etc. I know I probably sound like an old lady, "In my day. . ." Oh yeah, and we all weigh about 30 lbs more than we used to in the old days too.

What got me thinking about this was when I was going thru old photos and found a pic of my mom when she graduated from nursing school and she was wearing her crisp white starched uniform. She looked like a professional. And then I remembered when I was a girl scout and we had uniforms that looked a lot like the nurses uniforms of those days and they were hideous but we loved them b/c we felt so grown up and professional. We had a sash with all the badges we'd earned and it gave us a feeling of accomplishment to wear that to school each week so we could show them off.

Nowadays, the nurses run around in their pajamas and I'm not knocking that b/c it's so much more comfortable, but what are they losing in professionalism when they wear scrubs with bunnies on them? And when the girlscouts redesigned their uniforms for comfort, the girls pretty much lost interest in them and I haven't even seen a scout in uniform in years.

My teachers wore skirts and high heels that clicked and they inspired some awe in us, but nowadays I've even seen some teachers wear denim shorts to school.

I don't know that I'm exactly complaining--I like my comfort as much as the next person, but I do feel that we've lost some pride maybe. Thoughts?
I think here in America , not only do we have apathy toward morality but we have adopted apathy toward how we look ; I believe entitlement coupled with disrespect make up the catalyst for this. Its disappointing to see people walking around with 20 some holes in their jeans, bras that look like they belong to their young sister , 3 shades of hair color , pierced things in the nose and eyebrows , ponytails on professional guys, and 'men' raiding their wives jewelry boxes for earrings. The downward trend will continue and we will be writing about it on CityData in another 10 years when a more titilizing degrading look enters the scene to stay

Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,756,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Worse! Just look how people dress to theater, public event or nice restaurant.
You have to post a sign "no shoes, no shirt - no service", because people would walk in just like that.
I often hear: I don't care how I dress - who wants my money, my business needs to endure my look. But this attitude shows no respect for the business holder, restaurateur or performer.
And some cases the way they live.

I am a computer consultant and I did work for residential customers. There were houses I refused to walk into. I have had to tell people "If you want to live in this, fine, but I don't have to work in it."

God, you would not believe what I've seen. Dishes with food that looks like they've been unwashed for at least a week, and they're scattered everywhere. Dirty clothes (including underwear) scattered all over the room. Dirty, cups and glasses, full of things you can't even recognize. A room full of cats, dogs, birds, ferrets, snakes, you name it. And it was very obvious that no one had cleaned up the crap they left behind, mainly because if you walked in the front door you were going to step in it. And if you weren't the stench was a giveaway.

I'd hate to imagine what the parts of the house no one else sees looks like.

So after a couple of years I just stopped doing residential.

But back to the OP: I agree. I am appalled at the number of slovenly people wearing pajama bottoms and flip flops at the malls. Do these pigs ever look in the mirror? Do they own a comb? Do they buy deodorant? Do they wash the clothes they are wearing more than once a month?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:00 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,234,908 times
I think kids became a commodity. I really do. So, that the most of the industry began to focus on them. I look about 10 years younger then most people my age. Doesn't mean that I want to dress like them. For a long time, your options were dress like a teen or dress like your 80. When the fashion for wearing jeans low on your hips came out, I could not find a pair of jeans in any store in a 20 mile radius that didn't have that. And boot cut jeans. All jeans were boot cut. Frankly, I would love to be able to afford to dress up everytime I left my house. My money goes on work clothes. So there isn't jack left for anything outside of that. Too, most pre-made clothing stores cater to a specific size and height. The fashion industry will tell you this. And the petite section does not have much to go with. The really cool petite clothing store is not down here.

If it isn't in the New York and Company store here, I'm out. That can be a seasonal nightmare in and of itself. You see some of those clothes and scream, "my eyes, my eyes" and decide that you won't be updating this season. And talk about cheaply made crap. I wish I could afford J. Peterson. I could do that every day for the rest of my natural, and into my unnatural, life.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:02 PM

25,940 posts, read 18,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And some cases the way they live.

I am a computer consultant and I did work for residential customers. There were houses I refused to walk into. I have had to tell people "If you want to live in this, fine, but I don't have to work in it."

God, you would not believe what I've seen. Dishes with food that looks like they've been unwashed for at least a week, and they're scattered everywhere. Dirty clothes (including underwear) scattered all over the room. Dirty, cups and glasses, full of things you can't even recognize. A room full of cats, dogs, birds, ferrets, snakes, you name it. And it was very obvious that no one had cleaned up the crap they left behind, mainly because if you walked in the front door you were going to step in it. And if you weren't the stench was a giveaway.

I'd hate to imagine what the parts of the house no one else sees looks like.

So after a couple of years I just stopped doing residential.

But back to the OP: I agree. I am appalled at the number of slovenly people wearing pajama bottoms and flip flops at the malls. Do these pigs ever look in the mirror? Do they own a comb? Do they buy deodorant? Do they wash the clothes they are wearing more than once a month?
To be fair, just because someone doesn't wear a tuxedo around 24 hours a day, it does not mean they are dirty or that their homes look like a pigsties. Dressing casually does not imply filthiness. They are two different things. Casual clothing can be clean just as monkey suits can be stinking dirty.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,756,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
To be fair, just because someone doesn't wear a tuxedo around 24 hours a day, it does not mean they are dirty or that their homes look like a pigsties. Dressing casually does not imply filthiness. They are two different things. Casual clothing can be clean just as monkey suits can be stinking dirty.
And if you had bothered to read my ENTIRE post you would have also noticed that I did, finally get back to the subject...

Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 PM

25,940 posts, read 18,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And if you had bothered to read my ENTIRE post you would have also noticed that I did, finally get back to the subject...
But I did read it. I'm just stupid.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
. I'm just stupid.
Stop trying to one-up the other posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates