Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:26 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,836,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm not sure the "clean and pressed" look is essential for human beings. Thru most of history we dressed however we could to stay warm and decent and reeked from occasional bathing.

Beginning in the 1920s in America, corporations sold us to need their products to keep us clean and pressed. It was also an era when cleanliness was next to Godliness.

I personally think people should dress appropriately for their place in life. I don't want to see mothers dressed like Lady Ga Ga or shy unconfident young men tatooed and leathered like tough guys.
I don't think clean and pressed is necessary either--obviously it's not or we'd all be dead. And I certainly don't want to see young mothers dressed like Lady Gaga either. I'm not complaining about people not being dressed like prostitutes. In fact, I'm not complaining at all--just making an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
All in all I'd have to say that the living standard in regards to cleanliness have sunk to a pretty low level throughout America, and yes it's amazing how the people in Mexico and south America were almost always clean and polite in spite their social standing or access to modern bathing facilities.
That struck me too, esp when we went to the Yucatan. That's where they wear those pretty white dresses with embroidery and many of them live in huts with dirt floors but they manage to keep those dresses so clean and white. I'm not sure how they do it, esp since I doubt they wash them after every wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
To be fair, just because someone doesn't wear a tuxedo around 24 hours a day, it does not mean they are dirty or that their homes look like a pigsties. Dressing casually does not imply filthiness. They are two different things. Casual clothing can be clean just as monkey suits can be stinking dirty.
There's a wide divide between dressing up in a tuxedo and wearing your baggy sweat pants and pajamas and slippers to the grocery store in the middle of the afternoon. I'm not even talking about dirty either--I think we're probably cleaner than people have even been thruout history. Here's a thing--went to Vietnam a couple of years ago and they have a fashion of wearing pajamas during the day, but they're cute and neat in their jammies. They're matched and clean and fit as well as PJs can. I must admit that I don't own a pair of PJs--I generally wear sweat pants and a t-shirt to bed, but I wouldn't wear these to the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Bottom line: appearances don't mean much to me. They are only skin deep. It's what's on the inside that is FAR more important.
Oops, I meant to include this in my above post. I agree that what's on the inside is more important, but what I'm trying to point out is that sometimes the way you dress does affect you on the inside. When I wore my little girl scout uniform, it was not pretty, but it made me feel more important somehow. Now the GS uniforms are made out of stretchy fabrics and are more fashionable than the ones we wore, but you can't hardly get the girls to wear them anymore.

It's a feeling that's hard to explain, but if you've dressed up or dressed professionally lately, you'll know what I mean. Lately I've been job searching and sometimes I wear my interview clothes to work if I have an interview after work, and I'd say that people do treat me with more respect on those days, and I feel more deserving of it. I walk taller, I sit more gracefully, and I'm more adult and mature in my relations with co-workers and students. When I subbed, I discovered that dressing up some would cause the students to treat me with more respect so I dressed up as much as my budget would allow and never wore jeans even when all the teachers did, b/c subs need all the respect they can generate.

Speaking of fashion, I have a trivia question and will get back with you all on the answer later. The question is, what is the longest running fashion for women in all of history and pre-history? Hint: I'm not talking about nekkidness here!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 AM

26,016 posts, read 18,993,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Oops, I meant to include this in my above post. I agree that what's on the inside is more important, but what I'm trying to point out is that sometimes the way you dress does affect you on the inside. When I wore my little girl scout uniform, it was not pretty, but it made me feel more important somehow. Now the GS uniforms are made out of stretchy fabrics and are more fashionable than the ones we wore, but you can't hardly get the girls to wear them anymore.

It's a feeling that's hard to explain, but if you've dressed up or dressed professionally lately, you'll know what I mean. Lately I've been job searching and sometimes I wear my interview clothes to work if I have an interview after work, and I'd say that people do treat me with more respect on those days, and I feel more deserving of it. I walk taller, I sit more gracefully, and I'm more adult and mature in my relations with co-workers and students. When I subbed, I discovered that dressing up some would cause the students to treat me with more respect so I dressed up as much as my budget would allow and never wore jeans even when all the teachers did, b/c subs need all the respect they can generate.

I think this whole topic falls under the 'answer varies' category. It varies for different people--folks are drawn to different things. Ignoring the dirty slob look, I think different people just fit into a certain style. In my case, I'm very informal--In fact, I loath formality. I'm never comfortable around 'guzzied up' people. I typically avoid them. I do my best work in a very neutral attire. The kind of attire that makes me blend in with my surroundings. I hate standing out. It's just part of my personality. I want to be the person you don't remember.

Because of that, some of my experiences are just the opposite of yours. For example, when I first started teaching, I dressed in what most would call business attire (I don't even own those sorts of clothes any more). I did this for perhaps a couple of years. It wasn't me. I know that sounds like I'm making a big deal over silly clothing, but I felt like a turtle with a crab shell on it's back. I was very self-conscious, and just not myself at all. It actually affected my job performance negatively (just the opposite of what it would do for most people). I didn't want to be seen like that--wasn't me.

One day, I just said forget it. I'm going to wear what reflects my attitude toward myself and life in general. So I started wearing casual clothing that I was comfortable in (I'm NOT talking grubby, torn, dirty clothing, PJ's or anything like that--just clean denim jeans and casual shirts). I know it sounds stupid, but that was the day my job performance started looking up. I was myself. Free to be me. I have since received many 'strokes' for my job performance over the years. I'm not saying my clothing was the cause of all of this, but it did allow me to be myself on the job. It seems 'myself' did a far better job than the false front I put on before that time. Is this where the 'lipstick on a pig' saying comes in?

As I said in a previous post, it's what's on the inside that matters. But, for some folks, what's on the outside can assist in letting the inside truly come out. When I look at others, I don't really think much about what they wear (unless it's really outlandish or formal or grubby), but I think lot's of folks wear a reflection of their philosophy of life. Mine is a very laid-back, casual, simple, uncluttered, non-putting-up-a-front philosophy. I guess that shows in my chosen attire.

On the other hand, I wouldn't even think of wearing PJ's to the grocery store (or even sweats, for that matter). Yesterday as I went into the grocery store, I saw a guy, his mate, and their two kids. All were wearing PJ's, the guy was barefoot, and they were all rather grubby looking. In fact, the guy looked like he had a bad hangover. I'm sure I've seen folks like this before in the store. I'd just never noticed. See what this thread has done to me? I noticed it this time because of reading this thread. You've ruined me; now I will notice these things, whereas before I was oblivious to all of it. It's not something I really WANT to see! Thanks.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-01-2010 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: speeling misteaks and errors gramer

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,143,925 times
"Fashionable Insults" is what it is. We're now all being raised in a politically correct world, in which we have to be very careful about what we SAY to or about people, because everyone is so thin-skinned they they take offense to every word, and you have to take periodic sensitivity training courses in order to find out what it is OK to say.

So the only way to rebel is to insult people's sensitivity by wearing outrageous costumes in public places.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 AM

61,949 posts, read 87,574,290 times
Quote:

On the other hand, I wouldn't even think of wearing PJ's to the grocery store (or even sweats, for that matter). Yesterday as I went into the grocery store, I saw a guy, his mate, and their two kids. All were wearing PJ's, the guy was barefoot, and they were all rather grubby looking. In fact, the guy looked like he had a bad hangover. I'm sure I've seen folks like this before in the store. I'd just never noticed. See what this thread has done to me? I noticed it this time because of reading this thread. You've ruined me; now I will notice these things, whereas before I was oblivious to all of it. It's not something I really WANT to see! Thanks.
Don't go to Walmart - you will have a nightmares !

Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,344,246 times
I guess I don't worry too much about whether Americans are *slobs* (which is a subjective judgment) when the Gulf is filling up with an out of control oil spill which will damage our environment, troops are endangered in Afghanistan and Iraq, and our federal deficit threatens the stability of the our country. And on and on.

I have never seen anyone in their jammies at the grocery store, but if I did, I would probably be shocked and laugh. I have certainly worn sweats to the grocery store when I was in the middle of making something and had to run out to get something I had forgot to buy. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I think this whole topic falls under the 'answer varies' category. It varies for different people--folks are drawn to different things. Ignoring the dirty slob look, I think different people just fit into a certain style. In my case, I'm very informal--In fact, I loath formality. I'm never comfortable around 'guzzied up' people. I typically avoid them. I do my best work in a very neutral attire. The kind of attire that makes me blend in with my surroundings. I hate standing out. It's just part of my personality. I want to be the person you don't remember.

Because of that, some of my experiences are just the opposite of yours. For example, when I first started teaching, I dressed in what most would call business attire (I don't even own those sorts of clothes any more). I did this for perhaps a couple of years. It wasn't me. I know that sounds like I'm making a big deal over silly clothing, but I felt like a turtle with a crab shell on it's back. I was very self-conscious, and just not myself at all. It actually affected my job performance negatively (just the opposite of what it would do for most people). I didn't want to be seen like that--wasn't me.

One day, I just said forget it. I'm going to wear what reflects my attitude toward myself and life in general. So I started wearing casual clothing that I was comfortable in (I'm NOT talking grubby, torn, dirty clothing, PJ's or anything like that--just clean denim jeans and casual shirts). I know it sounds stupid, but that was the day my job performance started looking up. I was myself. Free to be me. I have since received many 'strokes' for my job performance over the years. I'm not saying my clothing was the cause of all of this, but it did allow me to be myself on the job. It seems 'myself' did a far better job than the false front I put on before that time. Is this where the 'lipstick on a pig' saying comes in?

As I said in a previous post, it's what's on the inside that matters. But, for some folks, what's on the outside can assist in letting the inside truly come out. When I look at others, I don't really think much about what they wear (unless it's really outlandish or formal or grubby), but I think lot's of folks wear a reflection of their philosophy of life. Mine is a very laid-back, casual, simple, uncluttered, non-putting-up-a-front philosophy. I guess that shows in my chosen attire.

Actually that's generally the way I feel comfortable too. I wear casual pants and shirts to school and fit right in with everyone else. I'm not really talking about that though--I'm talking about people letting it ALL hang out. I do know what you're saying about people dressing in a way that most expresses who they are and some are more extreme than others. When I was subbing I was a little afraid of the goth (emo?) kids at first, but then discovered that they were generally my smartest and best-behaved students--I guess they expressed themselves thru the way they dressed and thus didn't feel a need to rebel in other ways. One of the nicest boys at our school comes in wearing more make-up than most of the girls do and he always has a cute female inspired hairstyle. He draws a lot of stares at first but is actually quite shy.

But once again, I'm not offended by people going very, very casual. I'm just bemused that I, who was once the most sloppily dressed person in the room, am now one of the neatest dressed. How did that happen? It's true that I do better with grooming now that I have adderall, but even so I haven't changed that much. And again, it's not just Americans--I saw it in Europe and Australia as well. The richer the country, the more sloppy they are.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Speaking of fashion, I have a trivia question and will get back with you all on the answer later. The question is, what is the longest running fashion for women in all of history and pre-history? Hint: I'm not talking about nekkidness here!
OK I promised you all an answer later, though I wish you all had been more curious. It's a string skirt. I couldn't even google up an image of one, but for about the first 99/100ths of mankind's history that's what women wore. It would be something like the hula skirt in Hawaii, but made out of lengths of twine and with little beads on the bottom that clicked when they moved. They laboriously twisted the twine out of fiber producing plants such as hemp, nettles, or flax.

I read about this in a book called Women's Work, which talked about the fact that before the industrial revolution, women spent about 90% of their time making cloth and clothes. They had to grow the sheep for wool, shear the sheep, wash the wool, spin it into yarn, weave the cloth, and then make the clothes. I can't even imagine how labor intensive that had to have been. The really mind boggling thing to me is that sewing the clothes was the least time consuming part of the whole process, and they stitched those by hand!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,003,010 times
Quote:

Your all over the place on this. Clean doesn't cut it;pajamass that are neat and cute are ok;then its dressingup to impress.then its fashion that were better/longest running.I guess its back to its what is indies that counts next.Kind of hard to satrt by indicting we are slobs then treat that its ok for other coutnries;then but it takes fashion to get respectnthen its whats's inside.I know you don't want to offend but your bascia satrt didn't just that. Your judging people by their dress as to respect.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:37 PM

378 posts, read 425,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I guess I don't worry too much about whether Americans are *slobs* (which is a subjective judgment) when the Gulf is filling up with an out of control oil spill which will damage our environment, troops are endangered in Afghanistan and Iraq, and our federal deficit threatens the stability of the our country. And on and on.
I agree there are countless significant issues we should all be concerned about, but I think the topic of being "slobs" is important because it really does include basic hygiene . . . and that affects society as a whole.

If a person is a general slob, to the point where they don't care what they wear, how they look, etc., they're more likely to be just as unconcerned about hygiene . . . so then you've got no hand-washing after going to the bathroom, infrequent bathing, etc. And especially with younger people, if they're not taught good hygiene and pride in appearance, they're more likely to engage in other behaviors that could be harmful to their health which, in turn, again affects society.

Whenever we'd go out to dine in a nice restaurant, we'd never wear designer duds, but we sure as heck dressed nicely in clean clothes and I expected other patrons to do likewise. Unfortunately, there are those who go out in wrinkled jeans and tshirts and gimme caps with no concern whatsoever for decorum. We were at a very upscale restaurant not long ago and a couple came in and the woman had PINKY SPONGY CURLERS in her hair! I kid you not. I could NOT believe ANY woman today would go out in curlers, but to an expensive restaurant???! There is no accounting for some people's complete lack of taste and manners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates