Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,830,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I've never even smelled someone ELSE's marijauna (to my knowledge)....let alone smoked it myself. I find it funny that you can make such a judgment.
I'm not talking about you or necessarily anyone on this foum...I'm talking about all of these medical marijuana "activists" who are always protesting and pushing to legalize medical marijuana...most look like old pot smoking hippies from the 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 AM

87 posts, read 254,179 times
The thing about the anti-activists are that they usually have no real world or first hand knowledge of this drug. They usually form opinions based on what they were told and what the perceive as being true. The government agencies that combat pot and fight for it to remain illegal are the most hypocritical. Their job depends on this drug being illegal. Currently in PA there are over 33,000 inmates locked up for marijuana related offenses. Take into account that it takes $23,000.00 per inmate per year to keep them locked up and you do the math. That is 759,000,000 mil per year. So lets say even 50% of those were also locked up on other charges as well. That is still a lot of time, money, resources being spent on an herb. That is not even considering the revenue the state and feds would make. Read the paper, PA is one of many where without stimulus funds, our teachers, emergency, welfare, special needs programs will be hurt.

Personally, I hold a good job, graduated college, am raising two children and have managed to be with my wife since high school. I own my property and pay my taxes. My oldest is into sports and I keep busy with the household chores as well as projects that come with owning a home. I have retirement investments, health and life insurance, I maintain a few material items such as toys for winter and summer fun and we get away of an average of 4 weekend trips a year for vacations as a family. Now do I sound like a “stoner”?

On the flip side, I know a guy that lives not more than 1 mile from me, we graduated in the same high school class. His parents never divorced and loved him as did mine. He on the other hand needs to wake up and reach for the first beer or he shakes uncontrollably. He has lost two wives and his children and he now rents and maintains a small trailer on piece of property that was once his family’s farm. He lost that too when he could no longer properly take care of it and went thru about 10 jobs getting fired from each because of his drinking.

So in the two scenarios I just laid out. If I were to be “caught” with a naturally growing herb, I would loose my house, job and my family would be ruined. Yet this guy that is sick can walk into any bar, any distributor and continue to destroy his life and possibly others. He can drink all night long and die. I can smoke all night long until I get tired and go to bed.

Please people, before you categorize a “group”, remember there are the extremes in ANYTHING.. there are extreme smokers (3 packs a day), extremely lazy people that would rather live taking from the very programs I pay into, there are extreme drinkers, extreme motorcycle riders (we all know they never die.. right), extreme fishermen who leave their families to chase bass 7 months a year. PETA can be extreme (remember Sea Kittens? Really?).

And go phillies, if you really think that many activists look like old stoner hippies.. maybe that is a persona that you are casting on them. I really dislike when people look at a group and cast judgment, it really makes you look uneducated and ignorant. Old people say “Young Punks”, young people say “Old Folgie”, whites say blacks, blacks say whites… and now we see in the news.. all these “Illegal’s”

People need to take care of their own, teach your children well, love your neighbor, help those in need and thank god that you woke up this morning to be able to post on this site. Once we have done the basics.. maybe then we can start to worry about solving everyone else’s problems and making everyone else conform to those beliefs we are so adamant on voicing.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:35 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,830,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_in_nepa View Post
The thing about the anti-activists are that they usually have no real world or first hand knowledge of this drug.

Not true...I did my fair share of "experimentation" in my college days...

Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,989 times
Quote:
The thing about the anti-activists are that they usually have no real world or first hand knowledge of this drug. They usually form opinions based on what they were told and what the perceive as being true. The government agencies that combat pot and fight for it to remain illegal are the most hypocritical. Their job depends on this drug being illegal. Currently in PA there are over 33,000 inmates locked up for marijuana related offenses. Take into account that it takes $23,000.00 per inmate per year to keep them locked up and you do the math. That is 759,000,000 mil per year. So lets say even 50% of those were also locked up on other charges as well. That is still a lot of time, money, resources being spent on an herb. That is not even considering the revenue the state and feds would make. Read the paper, PA is one of many where without stimulus funds, our teachers, emergency, welfare, special needs programs will be hurt.

Personally, I hold a good job, graduated college, am raising two children and have managed to be with my wife since high school. I own my property and pay my taxes. My oldest is into sports and I keep busy with the household chores as well as projects that come with owning a home. I have retirement investments, health and life insurance, I maintain a few material items such as toys for winter and summer fun and we get away of an average of 4 weekend trips a year for vacations as a family. Now do I sound like a “stoner”?

On the flip side, I know a guy that lives not more than 1 mile from me, we graduated in the same high school class. His parents never divorced and loved him as did mine. He on the other hand needs to wake up and reach for the first beer or he shakes uncontrollably. He has lost two wives and his children and he now rents and maintains a small trailer on piece of property that was once his family’s farm. He lost that too when he could no longer properly take care of it and went thru about 10 jobs getting fired from each because of his drinking.

So in the two scenarios I just laid out. If I were to be “caught” with a naturally growing herb, I would loose my house, job and my family would be ruined. Yet this guy that is sick can walk into any bar, any distributor and continue to destroy his life and possibly others. He can drink all night long and die. I can smoke all night long until I get tired and go to bed.

Please people, before you categorize a “group”, remember there are the extremes in ANYTHING.. there are extreme smokers (3 packs a day), extremely lazy people that would rather live taking from the very programs I pay into, there are extreme drinkers, extreme motorcycle riders (we all know they never die.. right), extreme fishermen who leave their families to chase bass 7 months a year. PETA can be extreme (remember Sea Kittens? Really?).

And go phillies, if you really think that many activists look like old stoner hippies.. maybe that is a persona that you are casting on them. I really dislike when people look at a group and cast judgment, it really makes you look uneducated and ignorant. Old people say “Young Punks”, young people say “Old Folgie”, whites say blacks, blacks say whites… and now we see in the news.. all these “Illegal’s”

People need to take care of their own, teach your children well, love your neighbor, help those in need and thank god that you woke up this morning to be able to post on this site. Once we have done the basics.. maybe then we can start to worry about solving everyone else’s problems and making everyone else conform to those beliefs we are so adamant on voicing.
AWESOME....thank you for food for though...

Old 05-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Not true...I did my fair share of "experimentation" in my college days...
I am sorry Philly.. I should have expanding my clarification to include the "Usually the anti-activists"

I did not mean to lump anyone in a "group"

So do you care to reveal your ill affects of the drug? What nagative experiences did you have?

Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,771,212 times
Quote:
So do you care to reveal your ill affects of the drug? What nagative experiences did you have?
Yeah...I'd be interested in hearing about that too.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,808,494 times
You know when I was younger, I lived a totally straight life. Never in my life until i came here did I know anyone who had tatoos or smoked pot. i thought it was terrible and would never even consider it.

Then i came here when I was 21, we live a good life and are honest, hard working etc. Two kids, house, dogs etc. When we were in our early 30's I was pg and my dh had cancer. His doctor told him that he heard that pot was very good for nausea. Oh before that, my dh was suicidal with depression. His friends here told him that pot was good. He tried it and it did break the depression. It was also good with the nasuea after the chemo ; he took chemo for 6 months.

Now, he does smoke maybe, maybe once a month. Maybe not even that. Is he a pot head ; no way. he only smokes in the comforts of our own home and never around our children. He takes it to take the chill off the stress. He prefers it to beer or anything like that.

When one sees the improvement in the quality of our life after chemo and depression, there is no way someone would say not to smoke. I never want to go to the days when i was afraid that my dh would be dead when i got home.

Now, I do not recommend it to younger people ; I think its ok to do when you are older and settled in life.
d

Old 05-05-2010, 01:50 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,626,400 times
Could you imagine the horrors on the highways if pot were legalized?? People arrested for driving under the speed limits.. Low speed crashes......

Old 05-05-2010, 02:27 PM

Officer calls into 911 stoned.

YouTube - Cop Eats Pot Brownies Calls 911 (Full)

Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM

294 posts, read 659,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
What is the world coming to when people think that smoking pot is "no big deal??" Maybe its not quite as harmful as heroin or cocaine, but it doesn't mean that marijuana is "harmless" or something that you'd want to live around.

Not that smoking cigarettes is a good thing, but I don't understand how at the same time that cigarettes are more demonized than ever before, that public attitudes and even the government's attitudes towards marijuana seems to be softening. Smoking is harmful to your health, but at least it doesn't make you intoxicated.
There are many other ways to ingest THC without smoking it. So saying that it should be illegal just because the act of smoking is "bad" for you is an irrelevant argument. Cigarettes are not comparable because there have been countless scientific studies backing up that they are indeed very very bad for you. Marijuana on the other hand is still being disputed, and some studies even suggest that taking it could actually be good for you. Also, nobody has ever been confirmed to have died from taking weed. There isn't a single other drug legal or illegal that has that good of a track record.

As if all that wasn't enough, maybe you should also consider looking at the massive failure that has been the war on drugs in this country. Arresting people for non-violent activities that bring very little harm to others is an extremely taxing and wasteful use of our tax money and police resources. The only people that benefit from the war on drugs are street gangs and drug cartels, and these are again the proven facts. At this point, anyone who is still advocating that the war on drugs should continue is either ignorant or acting out of their own selfish interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates