Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I find it funny that the people who push the hardest for legalizing "medical" marijuana are usually just potheads who want to get high.
Quote:
Your liver won't "blow up" from moderate drinking. But I'm sure pot smoking, over time, will turn your brain to "mush" as well as all the negative effects of smoking anything...lung cancer, COPD, etc.
You really need to educate yourself as you're coming off as highly ignorant on the subject. Just because you think (aka "I'm sure") something is fact doesn't mean it's correct. I don't smoke pot and probably won't if it becomes legalized but the facts are that it's 100 times safer than alcohol, nicotine, and even caffeine (yes there are documented cases of people dying because of too much caffeine). People have overdosed on trying to drink too much water......guess how many people have overdosed on pot? None, it's impossible. Studies show that the usage of pot may actually fight cancer, does not lead to lung cancer, and doesn't make you jump out of windows (gotta love the propaganda films of decades ago). Plus you don't need to inhale smoke.......you can use a vaporizer or cook it in your food. The anti marijuana crowd seems uneducated on the subject for the most part believing what they are told (lies and deceptions). Plus pot smokers tend to be calm and just want to watch tv. Drunks start fights, black out, beat their spouses, and do really stupid things while drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
You really need to educate yourself as you're coming off as highly ignorant on the subject. Just because you think (aka "I'm sure") something is fact doesn't mean it's correct. I don't smoke pot and probably won't if it becomes legalized but the facts are that it's 100 times safer than alcohol, nicotine, and even caffeine (yes there are documented cases of people dying because of too much caffeine). People have overdosed on trying to drink too much water......guess how many people have overdosed on pot? None, it's impossible. Studies show that the usage of pot may actually fight cancer, does not lead to lung cancer, and doesn't make you jump out of windows (gotta love the propaganda films of decades ago). Plus you don't need to inhale smoke.......you can use a vaporizer or cook it in your food. The anti marijuana crowd seems uneducated on the subject for the most part believing what they are told (lies and deceptions). Plus pot smokers tend to be calm and just want to watch tv. Drunks start fights, black out, beat their spouses, and do really stupid things while drinking.
Notice I said moderate drinking...not drunkenness. Also, you are dead wrong about nicotine and caffeine. Nicotine is not harmful in and of itself....its all of the other chemicals in cigarettes that make them harmful. Nicotine is just what makes tobacco addicting. Caffeine, once again, like alcohol, not harmful in reasonable doses.

Maybe you can't overdose on pot, but it is intoxicating in small doses. And smoking anything can lead to breathing problems and lung cancer.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:37 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Nicotine is toxic.

Quote:
Sixty milligrams of nicotine, the amount in about five cigarettes or half a cigar, has the potential to kill an adult who is not a smoker[1] if all of the nicotine were absorbed. This figure is slightly higher in regular smokers. One cigarette's-worth of nicotine is enough to make a toddler severely ill. In some cases children have become poisoned by topical medicinal creams which contain nicotine.
Nicotine has been used as an insecticide in the past. Nicotine can hardly be considered "harmless".

Old 05-06-2010, 01:46 PM

87 posts, read 254,094 times
Quote:
Notice I said moderate drinking...not drunkenness. Also, you are dead wrong about nicotine and caffeine. Nicotine is not harmful in and of itself....its all of the other chemicals in cigarettes that make them harmful. Nicotine is just what makes tobacco addicting. Caffeine, once again, like alcohol, not harmful in reasonable doses.

Maybe you can't overdose on pot, but it is intoxicating in small doses. And smoking anything can lead to breathing problems and lung cancer.

please do your research before you post such non-sense.

First to the point of "Nicotine is not harmful in and of itself"... Please read the first sentence in this link. YOU CAN DIE FROM LEVELS OF NICOTINE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Toxicology. "though a person can overdose on nicotine through a combination of nicotine patches, nicotine gum, and/or tobacco smoking at the same time"... uh yeah sounds harmless.

To another point about your statement: "Maybe you can't overdose on pot, but it is intoxicating in small doses".. so is alcohol. it takes aprox 1 hour for each drink to leave your system. And the effects vary based on weight, tolerance ..so on. So therefore.. a 90lb woman that has never had a drink before.. will feel the intoxicating affects of that one drink. Some people can "tolerate" a 6 pack. Some people can't tolerate 1 or 2 drags from weed. Some can smoke a whole bag and appear normal.

And what is the addicting substance in gambling? I think that one is a personality trait. But then again.. without being a strong willed person, I would imagine anyone can get sucked into anything.. cults, bad marriages...

You arguments are baseless without the facts to back you. Now I ask again.. what was your negative experience with pot? What side affects did you experience? What made you stop using
?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:24 PM

294 posts, read 659,369 times
Quote:

Since you conveniently ignored my post, here it is again:

There are many other ways to ingest THC without smoking it. So saying that it should be illegal just because the act of smoking is "bad" for you is an irrelevant argument. Cigarettes are not comparable because there have been countless scientific studies backing up that they are indeed very very bad for you. Marijuana on the other hand is still being disputed, and some studies even suggest that taking it could actually be good for you. Also, nobody has ever been confirmed to have died from taking weed. There isn't a single other drug legal or illegal that has that good of a track record.

As if all that wasn't enough, maybe you should also consider looking at the massive failure that has been the war on drugs in this country. Arresting people for non-violent activities that bring very little harm to others is an extremely taxing and wasteful use of our tax money and police resources. The only people that benefit from the war on drugs are street gangs and drug cartels, and these are again the proven facts. At this point, anyone who is still advocating that the war on drugs should continue is either ignorant or acting out of their own selfish interests.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:29 PM

294 posts, read 659,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Nicotine is toxic.

Nicotine has been used as an insecticide in the past. Nicotine can hardly be considered "harmless".

It's becoming obvious that go phillies works some desk job for the DEA and is in fear of losing his job, either that or he is just openly ignorant and chooses to ignore the facts in favor of his own made-up reality.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 PM

There's no reason to debate against Go Phillies unfortunately. He will believe what he wants (which is wrong) and evidently could care less about the facts and scientific evidence.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,850 times
Quote:
While I personally smoked pot I think that your post is not correct. I smoked and would probably smoke again in my lifetime. I have no problem with it. Years ago however I got into a really bad car accident after smoking a joint. However, now I would not drive while smoking or for that matter when I am drinking. You think that you are in control when you smoke pot but the truth is you are not! If anyone tells me that they are in full control is either not telling the truth or they really think they are in full capacity. It alters your mind, spaces your thoughts out. I never read anywhere that says pot fights cancer. It makes you cough when you smoke so I would think it is also a problem for the lungs and as far as making someone jump out the window ...I dont know anyone that jumped out a window because they were drinking alcohol. As far as spousal abuse, fighting and blacking out...well I think that most people that drink do not do these things. Maybe alcoholics and people with mental disorders would do those things sober also.

I do know many potheads that are plain airheads and lazy...but does that mean that pot made them that way or would they be like that normally!

There is alot of controversy about legalizing pot, and while I do enjoy it, I would think that it would become more of a problem in the long run.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
While I personally smoked pot I think that your post is not correct. I smoked and would probably smoke again in my lifetime. I have no problem with it. Years ago however I got into a really bad car accident after smoking a joint. However, now I would not drive while smoking or for that matter when I am drinking. You think that you are in control when you smoke pot but the truth is you are not! If anyone tells me that they are in full control is either not telling the truth or they really think they are in full capacity. It alters your mind, spaces your thoughts out. I never read anywhere that says pot fights cancer. It makes you cough when you smoke so I would think it is also a problem for the lungs and as far as making someone jump out the window ...I dont know anyone that jumped out a window because they were drinking alcohol. As far as spousal abuse, fighting and blacking out...well I think that most people that drink do not do these things. Maybe alcoholics and people with mental disorders would do those things sober also.

I do know many potheads that are plain airheads and lazy...but does that mean that pot made them that way or would they be like that normally!

There is alot of controversy about legalizing pot, and while I do enjoy it, I would think that it would become more of a problem in the long run.
Check out the marijuana threads in the Politics thread......there is evidence that pot actually fights cancer. The more research that is being conducted is showing growing evidence that marijuana isn't as harmful as the anti-marijuana crowd would like you to believe. Plus:

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com

t r u t h o u t | The Marijuana Cancer Cure Cult

Plus why are people ignoring the fact that you don't have to smoke it? You can eat it or use a vaporizer that involves no smoke.

As for alcohol and violence:

Violence and Alcohol Statistics (http://www.marininstitute.org/alcohol_policy/violence.htm - broken link)

Alcohol and Domestic Violence (http://lifering.org/sep/alcodome.htm - broken link)

Why does the anti marijuana folks ignore cold hard facts? It mystifies me at times It is easier for a child to get marijuana than it is for getting cigarettes or alcohol. Drug dealers don't card. The US blows something like 30 billion dollars a year fighting drugs yet only takes out 5% of the marijuana being brought into the country and sold. It's a waste of resources, time, and effort. Prohibition of marijuana doesn't work and only lines the pockets of the jail industry, DEA agents, and the criminal justice system. Like I stated in a previous post, I don't smoke pot but am for legalization as it's stupid that we are wasting time/resources throwing smokers in jail when there are much bigger fishes to fry in the criminal world.

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 05-06-2010 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: fixed url mistake in link

Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,850 times
Quote:
Check out the marijuana threads in the Politics thread......there is evidence that pot actually fights cancer. The more research that is being conducted is showing growing evidence that marijuana isn't as harmful as the anti-marijuana crowd would like you to believe. Plus:

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com

t r u t h o u t | The Marijuana Cancer Cure Cult

Plus why are people ignoring the fact that you don't have to smoke it? You can eat it or use a vaporizer that involves no smoke.

As for alcohol and violence:

Violence and Alcohol Statistics (http://www.marininstitute.org/alcohol_policy/violence.htm - broken link)

Alcohol and Domestic Violence (http://lifering.org/sep/alcodome.htm - broken link)

Why does the anti marijuana folks ignore cold hard facts? It mystifies me at times It is easier for a child to get marijuana than it is for getting cigarettes or alcohol. Drug dealers don't card. The US blows something like 30 billion dollars a year fighting drugs yet only takes out 5% of the marijuana being brought into the country and sold. It's a waste of resources, time, and effort. Prohibition of marijuana doesn't work and only lines the pockets of the jail industry, DEA agents, and the criminal justice system. Like I stated in a previous post, I don't smoke pot but am for legalization as it's stupid that we are wasting time/resources throwing smokers in jail when there are much bigger fishes to fry in the criminal world.

You know if pot helped cure cancer that would be a great thing. I am not debating a cancer cure. I am only against it being legalized. And I am only against it because I cannot see any good happening by its legalization. If its true that it will help cancer patients then it should be used for medical purposes only. Come on, can you imagine how many people would be stoned...where would the line be drawn? I definitely dont think that the reason that it should be legalized is to make money! Geez, what we would do for the mighty dollar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates