Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:36 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I wish you would. How idiotic.

I also love animals as much as the next guy but get a grip. Reminds me of those stereotypical old ladies with their little overgrown rat-faced boopsie "dogs" with little pink ribbons in their hair etc. Nauseating.

I actually had Thanksgiving dinner once with a couple who were friends of friends - they gave the dog an entire huge plate of food, a serving of everything we were eating, and fed it FIRST. Then they put it on the ground and while it gobbled and slobbered all over the place remarked how cute it was. Only Thanksgiving I ever failed to eat enough to fill me.
I used to take my dog (she's been gone for years now) to Burger King drive-thru as a reward after we went to the Vet, and I once made her pancakes because I ran out of dog food.

If I hit rock bottom and were living in an alley sucking on a bottle in a brown paper bag, I cannot say for sure that every person that's in my life now would still be in my life...but that dog would have been by my side till the end. She deserved everything I ever gave her, including Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
It is incredibly easy to avoid people on the internet who annoy you. If you are running into that situation often it's because you are seeking it out for some reason. People go out of their way to find things that annoy them, that's a simple fact. I do it for debate purposes.

I've read some things online about people who think their pets are more than pets, that's ok. It's not my usual way of thinking but there have been times in my life where I swear my cat was the only one I trusted. LOL.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM

745 posts, read 1,649,345 times
Ohiogirl, yes, I understand about that; what I was meaning more specifically is that communication is more difficult as cats do not exhibit the body language that most dogs do. They are more independent; that is they are their own cat. Dogs understand 300 of our words or more and they read our body language better than we do theirs and even better than we do other humans. Cats understand our words too, but they don’t always let on to the fact.

puginabug, you said it! I know exactly what you mean. lol

Times are changing. It used to be that most dogs were kept outside in the yard or were even chained to the dog house. These days we have a better understanding of them. We realize that they are sentient creatures who need companionship and consider it cruel to leave the dog outside. He’s not just a toy that we play with when we feel like it and then put him “back on the shelf”. They do indeed become part of the family. To many people they are like children in that they are dependent and need guidance.

About the same thing goes for cats. which were left to roam and only came home to eat. These days most cats enjoy life in the comfort of their owner’s homes.

Nineteen Reasons Why Dogs are Better than Humans
19 Reasons Dogs Are Better Than Humans | Thought Catalog

More Reasons:
Reasons Why Dogs Are Better Than Most Humans

And some humor:
Aha! Jokes > Fun Pages > Why Dogs Are Better than People

Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Yeah, but pets are waaay less trouble and annoyance than precious children. I have both, pets and kids. I know whereof I speak.
Then you're probably spending more quality time with your pets than your kids.

If your kids are a trouble and annoyance in your life, imagine what they think about you? A lot of people would probably side with them too.

There is no doubt you know exactly what you're talking about, too bad it's probably true. Maybe your kids can find a new owner some day.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
I've always found it strange that people treat their pets like people. Dogs view you as a member of their pack not as a person, when you understand this it makes it a lot easier to train your dog. Another thing I can not understand is why some people, because they are vegetarians, think that their pet has to be a vegetarians, I think this does more harm to the pet than it does any good.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:30 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Went to an outdoor street fair the other day and was treated to a ton of mutts running around peeing on the streets and being oh so cute by licking the people in their midst. Why is it that dog lovers now must take scruffy on every outing, does he "just love street fairs" car shows, and even Home Depot, or is the owner clueless about the nature of his /her beast?????? I just don't get it, dogs are better off at home in the shade instead of being walked to death in the very hot sun. A dog can't be a dog anymore, on those hot days in the fifties our mutt was looking for relief, we'd wet down the grass and he'd roll on the cool lawn and then sleep for a few hours. Today's dogs are seen in cars/trucks, going everywhere the owner does, as though the owner doesn't understand that the dog is really an animal and NOT a child...........

Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't understand why some people are bothered by the love others feel towards their pets.

Ok, I'll try to explain to you what concerns me about this: I worry about all human children whos parents have to work for a living and they get left with these pet owners that say their pet is "part of the family" I read where a person was babysitting and the house cought fire and the stupid pet owner saved their pet before that poor human baby. I dont think all the brain washing in social media is good for society.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:44 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy222 View Post
Ok, I'll try to explain to you what concerns me about this: I worry about all human children whos parents have to work for a living and they get left with these pet owners that say their pet is "part of the family" I read where a person was babysitting and the house cought fire and the stupid pet owner saved their pet before that poor human baby. I don't think all the brain washing in social media is good for society.
Alright, no disrespect, but that is just silly IMO. That is an example of ONE crazy person, and certainly not the norm in any way. I know people who coddle and adore their pets and treat them as members of the family (which they are, IMO) but that hardly means they would put them over their child. There is nothing for you to worry about, IMO. Plenty of love to go around for people AND pets, it's ridiculous to imply if you adore one you're neglecting the other.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy222 View Post
Well because Humans have a future-hopes and dreams and can become doctors ,lawyers and so on.

I love Humans as long as they are good humans and not bad ones who harm other people.
This really doesn't answer the question as to why you, me, or any other stranger to a person should be loved over their family pet. I get where Stan was coming from. I care about my dog. She's been with me 4-5 years now and I provide food, healthcare, a roof, and play for her and have so for years. Of course she's going to hold more value to me than some person I have never and will never meet. With that said, you cannot superimpose your values onto others. It's not right or reasonable.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:32 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,541,484 times
We joke about our pets being our fuzzy children. We both take the lifetime commitment very seriously. We provide them good food, shelter, vet care, and love.

Considering a cat can live over 20 years, they may spend more time with you than human children - it takes a level of commitment.

We know they aren't really human, but they are a very large part of lives. They provide comfort, entertainment, and yes, love. When they die, I grieve.

Last edited by MissNM; 07-30-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates