Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,730,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Which means--they have better character. Since they do NOT make moral judgements.
Character traits are driven by values. Animals are not value oriented beings. They don't act by values because they have none. No values, no character. Its not that they do or don't make moral judgements. They don't possess the capacity "in this current stage of evolution" to understand making or not making moral judgements. IMO

Old 05-23-2010, 10:27 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,035,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Maybe it's because those who think this way believe they need to be loved and feel they are unworthy. It takes real work to maintain a human relationship, but dogs love regardless. No work there except food and water.
Or perhaps people make them sick at least once a day on a daily basis. Personally, Ive pretty much lost every ounce of faith I may have had in the general human race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
There is something very wrong about that.
Pfft..no there isnt. I wouldnt give $5 to a stranger...she/he's generous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I will agree with your right to believe that.
Have you ever worked a job where you REALLY got to watch what people are made of everyday? People suck. They're greedy, ungrateful, whiny,cruel, backstabbing, two faced bast$@^s. Whens the last time you saw a dog/cat torture someone? When's the last time you saw an animal mass murder a group of animals just for kicks? How about rape?

In the long run, animals are more defenseless than children, IMO. Children can talk, and eventually get bigger. Animals cannot talk, they have no say in their circumstances, no other way to defend themselves beyond tooth and claw, which ends up getting them killed anyway.

And I agree with the poster that no life is more important than another. Life is life, whether it be 4 legs or two.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,207,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Pfft..no there isnt. I wouldnt give $5 to a stranger...she/he's generous.
Eh, I don't worry about charges like that on the internet. Some can certainly claim to put humans before animals or frivolous purchases, but not a person typing on a computer they paid for on an internet connection they're paying for.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Character traits are driven by values. Animals are not value oriented beings. They don't act by values because they have none. No values, no character. Its not that they do or don't make moral judgements. They don't possess the capacity "in this current stage of evolution" to understand making or not making moral judgements. IMO
Thus, someone who doesn't operate on a value system has better character to begin with.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 AM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Perhaps. I can't really disagree with it. But, the fact remains; I own a home, a car, have a savings account, a retirement plan, a computer, cell phone, etc. I'll most likely buy my dh a scooter for a graduation present.
Oh, I thought "Scooter" was the dog. LOL.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:47 AM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
My dog makes judgments about joggers and motorcycles. A judgment accompanied by chasing and barking. I wish she would quit it.
My cats make judgements about other cats. My smartest cat kept running into my bedroom yesterday, circling around me and meowing then running into the kitchen. I finally followed her to see what she wanted. She jumped on the table, looking at me and looking up with an alarmed expression on her face. Turns out the landlord's cat was sitting on the kitchen skylight and she wanted to let me know.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,680,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's just plain silly. I watched all those shows and never had the slightest inclination to have a dog or any other pet. I would suspect that the majority of my contemporaries woud agree.

Walt Disney never destroyed anything. If there is criticism to be leveled at the corporate behemoth that arose folowing his death, it has nothing to do with things that Mr. Disney created during his remarkable life. He was a creative genius who provided opportunities for countless artists, writers, and technicians while bringing happiness to millions of children around the world.

No, Walt Disney never made me want Old Yeller. I sure had a thing for Annette Funicello, though. Now please don't tell us you're opposed to heterosexual fantasies as some sort of pathology....

He destroyed Felix Stalen's Bambi. He took a great story and molested it by trying to make the world of animals happy go lucky and not being true to how animals live. He anthropomorphized Bambi by making it seem that his father took care of him after his mother died. He tried to twist the young minds of America in order to sell his product.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I find it rather axiomatic that since we "run" the world....and are at the top of the heap so to speak, we think we're much more important than any other being....or any part of nature for that matter. Sounds a bit self serving and egotistical doesn't it ? Nothing else could be as important as us could it ? We're all that and a bag of chips too. I think part of our "evolution" will eventually mean we'll evolve in our thinking enough to conclude with humans realizing that we're all in this together and man, nature, animals etc...are all just as important as each other.

So any of you "humans are more important than anything else types" that would rather keep the next door lot full of trees and animals that live there vacant rather than have somebody come and clear cut the lot to build a new home, you're actually putting nature and animals above your human bretheren....whether you realize it or not. Oops....guess we'd better cut those trees down after all and make those animals homeless.

Obviously we all have needs.....but I'm sick and tired of hearing the constant mantra from some about how much more important humans are than anything else. I remember when I was a kid this guy telling my dad that if he saw an animal in the road (deer, dog, raccoon whatever) he was not going to swerve to attempt to miss it since his life was worth more than any damn animal and he wasn't going to risk going in the ditch to preserve some animals life. Sure...I would rather not die myself to avoid hitting an animal on the highway....but just the way this jerk stated it so matter of factly showed his utter disregard to anything but himself....what a horrible way to view life.

We as humans think we're so evolved, intelligent and are the only beings on this planet capable of complex thought and compassion....and yet we're still thinking we're the most important thing on the planet bar none. I'm not so sure that starving or injured animals suffer any less than starving humans. But since we make the rules....we set them in our favor every time. Maybe the golden rule should be applied here.

This oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. Other than the people who died in the explosion of the rig itself, it probably isn't going to kill any people right ? After all, the oil slick isn't likely to result in any human deaths directly anyway. So why are we so concerned with killing a few million sea creatures or desecrating a few hundred miles of shoreline ? Could it be that somewhere this is this latent feeling in many of us that maybe things in nature do matter a bit more than our ability to drive our SUV's ever increasing miles to bring johnny to soccer practice and heat our homes with "volume" ceilings ?

Maybe....time will tell.

Oh....we have two cats and yes, they are members of our family. As a few of you have stated, I like them more than I like most egotistical people.
Anthropomorphizing animals is being cruel and self serving and egotistical. It doesn't have anything to do with putting ourselves above them, but making them seem more human so that we think we understand them.

A dog is a dog. A cat is a cat. A horse is a horse. If people would stop and think about what they are doing they could communicate more effectively with their pets. Instead of putting human traits to animals think of their traits and try to think like they would.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,730,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Thus, someone who doesn't operate on a value system has better character to begin with.
Your logic is flawed. Everyone operates on a value system.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you want to anthropomorphize about animals-----

How many of you have ever thought about what it would have been like to be a horse, used by a labor gang, to spend its whole day carrying heavy loads or pulling a plow?

I have read Black Beauty and watched the movie. I had a real hard time reading it to my daughter because I kept crying. I don't watch the movie anymore, but my daughter will. She'll let me know when a sad part is coming up so I don't come in the room and get choked up, which is hard since most of the book/movie is sad and bittersweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.