Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times

Advertisements

If you want to anthropomorphize about animals-----

How many of you have ever thought about what it would have been like to be a horse, used by a labor gang, to spend its whole day carrying heavy loads or pulling a plow?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Of course they are part of our family. They are living beings we invited in to live with us (like they had a choice!) and we have an obligation to provide the best care we can. How is that messed up?

What's messed up is saying, "Oh, it's only a dog" and ignoring your responsibility that you took on yourself.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

How many of you have ever thought about what it would have been like to be a horse, used by a labor gang, to spend its whole day carrying heavy loads or pulling a plow?
Turn it around. Maybe horses feel compassion for us, having achieved Buddhahood and accepted their existence -- as most humans have not -- as the illusion it truly is.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:40 PM

731 posts, read 1,580,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

What has that got to do with todays society anthropomorphizing pets? Horses too are sentient beings, they have emotions and people become quite close to horses, they even blanket them for protection. Horses, today, are well taken care of and are part of family too.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:08 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
Yup, I recall an episode of Judge Judy where there was a divorced couple and the ex wife was suing the husband ( joint custody of kids) for taking the family dog to a vet and getting it euthanized.

The ex husband/father stated he had a tough time paying his family's bills and the treatment recommended by the vet cost over $2,500.

Judge Judy was furious that anybody would let costs be a determining factor for a dog's health care. She stated that dog was just as much part of his family as the kids were.

When it comes to pets, Judge Judy sure is irrational and out of touch with the real world !

Old 05-23-2010, 03:17 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Awe, good for Judge Judy!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:29 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's just plain silly. I watched all those shows and never had the slightest inclination to have a dog or any other pet. I would suspect that the majority of my contemporaries woud agree.

Walt Disney never destroyed anything. If there is criticism to be leveled at the corporate behemoth that arose folowing his death, it has nothing to do with things that Mr. Disney created during his remarkable life. He was a creative genius who provided opportunities for countless artists, writers, and technicians while bringing happiness to millions of children around the world.

No, Walt Disney never made me want Old Yeller. I sure had a thing for Annette Funicello, though. Now please don't tell us you're opposed to heterosexual fantasies as some sort of pathology....
My brothers and sisters and I watched Disney every Sunday night for years and none of us did nothing but enjoy each week's show. We grew up on a farm and had animals, not extentions of our family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Also, who cares about how people treat their pets? I think that is their business and no one elses. I would rather hang out with my dog than most people I know. He loves me unconditionally.
This seems to be a common thread (no pun intended) with those who put animals before humans. Maybe it's because those who think this way believe they need to be loved and feel they are unworthy. It takes real work to maintain a human relationship, but dogs love regardless. No work there except food and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I find it rather axiomatic that since we "run" the world....and are at the top of the heap so to speak, we think we're much more important than any other being....or any part of nature for that matter. Sounds a bit self serving and egotistical doesn't it ? Nothing else could be as important as us could it ? We're all that and a bag of chips too. I think part of our "evolution" will eventually mean we'll evolve in our thinking enough to conclude with humans realizing that we're all in this together and man, nature, animals etc...are all just as important as each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Yup, I recall an episode of Judge Judy where there was a divorced couple and the ex wife was suing the husband ( joint custody of kids) for taking the family dog to a vet and getting it euthanized.

The ex husband/father stated he had a tough time paying his family's bills and the treatment recommended by the vet cost over $2,500.

Judge Judy was furious that anybody would let costs be a determining factor for a dog's health care. She stated that dog was just as much part of his family as the kids were.

When it comes to pets, Judge Judy sure is irrational and out of touch with the real world !
I've noticed the same many, many times. And she rules on her emotion, not on law most of the time.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:35 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
This seems to be a common thread (no pun intended) with those who put animals before humans.
I think for some of us it's not a matter of all humans, just most. I'd spend 2k on my dog before I'd spend it on a stranger. For that matter, I'd spend 2k on scooter before I'd spend it on a stranger. That's not the case when it comes to family, tho. I'd still spend 2k on my dog, but I'd also spend 2k on a family member if they needed it.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 05-23-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 03:42 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,442,125 times
Empty nesters,
kids don't live near,
the peke is part of the family, the baby.
give us a pass, chill......

Old 05-23-2010, 04:06 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think for some of us it's not a matter of all humans, just most. I'd spend 2k on my dog before I'd spend it on a stranger. For that matter, I'd spend 2k on scooter before I'd spend it on a stranger. That's not the case when it comes to family, tho. I'd still spend 2k on my dog, but I'd also spend 2k on a family member if they needed it.
There is something very wrong about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates