Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 PM

731 posts, read 1,582,191 times

Advertisements

[quote=jtur88;14293807]There are plenty of controls in the USA such that there is a very small number of children who are so severely abused that they need to be rippled out of their reality. quote]

You didn't answer my question. Which controls are you talking about? I think 3 million reported cases is a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,143,925 times
[quote=tinynot;14306350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are plenty of controls in the USA such that there is a very small number of children who are so severely abused that they need to be rippled out of their reality. quote]

You didn't answer my question. Which controls are you talking about? I think 3 million reported cases is a lot.
You said 3-billion.

Every state has a child welfare agency, which investigates every reported case of abuse. Every school reports every suspicion of abuse, and child labor is almost impossible to keep under wraps. Kids not in school during school hours are always questioned.

Here are the real statistics:

Although the incidence of child abuse and neglect has been decreasing in recent years, more than 1.25 million, or 1 in every 58 children in the United States, were abused in 2006.

More than half (61 percent) of the children were victims of neglect, meaning a parent or guardian failed to provide for the child's basic needs. Forms of neglect include educational neglect , physical neglect and emotional neglect .

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/child...buse_stats.htm

As you can see, less than half the reported cases result in a finding that that is actually abuse, and less than half of thosa are "actively" abused, as opposed to merely neglected by parents who in most cases don't know any better.

So, at the bottom, we have only about a half-million children whose parents are actually doing something abusive to them. That's one child out of about 150.

It makes no sense to leave 150 kids languishing in orphanages, out of fear that ONE of them will land in an abusive household.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-23-2010 at 08:52 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Nationally, it is estimated that 269,000 children were removed from their homes as a result of a child maltreatment.10 In 2007, one-fifth of victims (20.7%) were placed in foster care as a result of an investigation compared to 21.5 percent for FFY 2006.11 Although the national percentage is 20.7 percent, several States reported more than 40 per10
Child Maltreatment 2007: Chapter 6: Services

Excuse my typo, if you will. These numbers speak higher than than your estimate.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Nationally, it is estimated that 269,000 children were removed from their homes as a result of a child maltreatment.10 In 2007, one-fifth of victims (20.7%) were placed in foster care as a result of an investigation compared to 21.5 percent for FFY 2006.11 Although the national percentage is 20.7 percent, several States reported more than 40 per10
Child Maltreatment 2007: Chapter 6: Services

Excuse my typo, if you will. These numbers speak higher than than your estimate.
My estimate said twice that many (half a million). Your numbers state my case twice as loudly. 269,000 is still one child out of about 250, which doesn't sound like a scandalous number that would warrant exhaustive investigation into every adoption application.

Let people take children into their homes. If one out of 250 turns out badly, why obstruct the other 249? A classic example of throwing millions of babies out with a few drops of bathwater.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 AM

I don't have anything against adoptionat all. I felt you were downplaying child abuse, and those figures don't inlcude the 1,700 that die each year due to child abuse and those numbers are only estimated since many death certificates don't reveal the diagnosis.

This is my own observation; I live in a small rural town and there is child abuse going on every day.

Actually, one thing I don't approve of about adopting, is the hollywood people who go and adopt one child. They have the money to adopt several children. People shouldn't adopt for "show" or "publicity".

Cheers

Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I don't have anything against adoptionat all. I felt you were downplaying child abuse, and those figures don't inlcude the 1,700 that die each year due to child abuse and those numbers are only estimated since many death certificates don't reveal the diagnosis.

This is my own observation; I live in a small rural town and there is child abuse going on every day.

Actually, one thing I don't approve of about adopting, is the hollywood people who go and adopt one child. They have the money to adopt several children. People shouldn't adopt for "show" or "publicity".

Cheers
I am downplaying the abuse. Unadapted children are ALL being emotionally abused, denied even the chance of a home environment.

With a hundred-million families in the US, I'm not overly worried about an adoptive child landing in one of the 1,700 that will kill the child. 45,000 adults are murdered in this country every year, too. You can never reduce anything to zero.

If celebrities give a child a better home and a better chance, I don't care what their reasons are.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,960,207 times
Quote:

Cheers
So every wealthy person who wants to adopt a child should be obligated to adopt multiple babies?

I am all for international adoption. A child in this country is no more (or less) deserving of a home than a child in any other country. I wish adoption were easier--so many people are turned off of it before they even look, due to costs and time.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I just watched a show about the kidnapping,Abuse and maybe selling of Children for adoption by couples in the US. I think International Adoption should be banned and the Couples should be trying to adopt children who need a family in the USA. What do y'all think?
Then them movie stars wouldn't look like world saviors....

Old 05-24-2010, 06:11 PM

[quote=CaliTerp07;14317247]So every wealthy person who wants to adopt a child should be obligated to adopt multiple babies?

No, that is not the intent of what I posted. No one can tell them they are obligated, I just think they have enough money to get a couple of em. If I had their money and wanted to adopt, I would get two or three children.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:16 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,960,207 times
[quote=tinynot;14320516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
So every wealthy person who wants to adopt a child should be obligated to adopt multiple babies?

No, that is not the intent of what I posted. No one can tell them they are obligated, I just think they have enough money to get a couple of em. If I had their money and wanted to adopt, I would get two or three children.
Yikes...you talk about adopting children like they're things you collect.

My parents had the money to have 4 or 5 children, but they stopped at two because that's what they knew they could handle physically/emotionally. There's a lot more to raising kids than money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates