Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:57 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times

Advertisements

Quick check:

"the amount of heat flowing out from the Earth’s surface due to internal sources is about 45 trillion Watts. That’s about three times the total global human energy consumption."

Source:
Ten things you don't know about the Earth : Bad Astronomy

If human activity has an effect on climate and the amount of heat added from the core is three times that... (you finish the sentence).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:49 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Quick check:

"the amount of heat flowing out from the Earth’s surface due to internal sources is about 45 trillion Watts. That’s about three times the total global human energy consumption."

Source:
Ten things you don't know about the Earth : Bad Astronomy

If human activity has an effect on climate and the amount of heat added from the core is three times that... (you finish the sentence).
If you're six feet tall and standing in four and a half feet of water, do you care if I raise the water level by eighteen inches?

Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 PM

First you have to get me to stand in water. Don't get me wrong, water has its place - scotch and soda.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:20 PM

As I feared, over your head.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 PM

LOL. Nice pun, but what has really gone over heads is the significance of the change in estimated core temps.

If someone had commented that the energy used by humans had been under-reported by as much as 20%, there would be great concern by researchers as to how their calculations used to estimate climate change would need to be adjusted. I think most of us can agree to that statement, no matter which way our personal beliefs lean.

IF the article I cited is correct, and the core temp actually is almost 20% higher than previously thought, the change in global temps MAY be less attributable to human energy use. The correctness of that thought depends upon how the calculations currently being used were derived. If human energy use was being calculated backward from total temps LESS insolation to come up with a remainder, then the amount of that remainder attributable to geothermal energy would need to be revised upwards IF it was being calculated based on internal temperature and a given rate of conduction through the crust. It was more a musing of my own rather than a full "this is the way it is" statement, and upon reflection probably wasn't very obvious to others.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL. Nice pun, but what has really gone over heads is the significance of the change in estimated core temps.

If someone had commented that the energy used by humans had been under-reported by as much as 20%, there would be great concern by researchers as to how their calculations used to estimate climate change would need to be adjusted. I think most of us can agree to that statement, no matter which way our personal beliefs lean.

IF the article I cited is correct, and the core temp actually is almost 20% higher than previously thought, the change in global temps MAY be less attributable to human energy use. The correctness of that thought depends upon how the calculations currently being used were derived. If human energy use was being calculated backward from total temps LESS insolation to come up with a remainder, then the amount of that remainder attributable to geothermal energy would need to be revised upwards IF it was being calculated based on internal temperature and a given rate of conduction through the crust. It was more a musing of my own rather than a full "this is the way it is" statement, and upon reflection probably wasn't very obvious to others.
We are talking about deviation from a baseline. Whatever energy makes it's way from the core to the surface is going to be very constant. Anthropogenic caused change is over and above that constant. The core impact of climate change science is a net zero.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:55 AM

"We are talking about deviation from a baseline. Whatever energy makes it's way from the core to the surface is going to be very constant. Anthropogenic caused change is over and above that constant. The core impact of climate change science is a net zero."

You might want to change that "of" to an "on" I'll avoid playing with that because generally, on the deviation from baseline idea, I think I agree with you. My question was more relating to just what the baseline really is, which is an important issue as well.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 AM

Consider that along with a mistake in the core temperature, they also almost certainly made a mistake on the thermal conductivity of the crust. It's likely that the impact on energy flux making it to the surface of the Earth is zero.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 AM

Possibly so, but at this point it is just speculation either way. For all we know, your initial thought that it was totally disregarded in calculations is also possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living