Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 PM

117 posts, read 117,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
{snips}Hi,
Currently I am in the North Indian city of Rishikesh. Last month due to extreme rainfall the Ganges river over flood. The city, and many around it were almost submerged. Few thousands were dead and the infrastructure damage is irreplaceable. It is estimated that it will take the state government 30-50 years to get the system back on track.

Somehow I am worried. The calamity around me has hit hard. I was always into living green. I don't even drive, but now that I am so near to everything it effects me.

But what can I do?
I don't know much about where you live, so I looked it up on Wikipedia in order to get a dead basic understanding.

I noticed that there was a particular entry regarding how the tourism in your area affects the environment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rishik...ental_concerns It seems that many of the violations related to tourism are in part affecting the waterways, which I assume includes the one you mention.

For folks in your position that desire to do more than they have, there are so many things one can do, that it can be overwhelming choosing anything. Because you mention the over flood as the catalyst for your growing concern and desire to help more actively, I think that would be a good place to start.

It seems from the article I read that there are organizations you could join. You could start by looking into them, and seeing if one in particular offers volunteer work you could do.

No matter where I have lived over the years, since I was in high school I have always spent what time I could removing rubbish from public spaces, though it wasn't always near waterways. In some places where I've done this, others noticed and started doing it too.

Perhaps a gesture like this can be a step towards encouraging others while still steadily making a positive contribution from you as well. It may seem a tiny and underwhelming gesture, but every direct effort helps.

You could also organize flash clean up mobs via social media for such. Use burlap or other natural fiber sacks if possible for at least the recycling pickup if you can. (I'm not sure if trash removal services require bags or not there.) Perhaps you could encourage tourists to attend such, even going so far as inviting them to show their countries' colors in what they wear when there.

If your dream movie ever gets written and produced, I hope it stirs others to be more aware and active as well.

I wish you good fortune in whichever path you take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 04:29 AM

130 posts, read 148,511 times
To help save the environment there are many easy ways to use less electricity. The simplest thing is to remember to turn the lights off when you leave a room! Also, unplugging the toaster or any other small machine after you use it saves a lot of energy through the day. Even if you’re not using it, leaving something plugged in takes up energy from the Earth!

Old 07-29-2016, 07:28 PM

7 posts, read 4,973 times
No matter where you are in the world it is not in anyway a reason for you not to be a good abiding citizen. We can do our part to help our mother nature or environment by changing our old daily usual habits. One of the many ways is by trying to conserve or decrease our energy and water consumption. A simple planting of trees and growing foods in our yard can make a difference too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living