Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:43 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
If you live in DC you would most likely take public transportation to work anyways. Of course there is always the inevitable where in the world do you park part of DC as well, if you don't get a spot from your employer.

If you are savvy you would also live within walking distance of a train/subway into D.C. as well... Without having to live in D.C. Personally, I would do my best to NOT live in D.C. if I had to work in D.C. But that is just because I don't like big cities. I don't like NYC either. Apparently I am not alone in that thinking. Luckily, it isn't my problem.
Probably best to opine about topics where you actually have some basic knowledge. The district is growing rapidly in large part because it offers the opportunity for high quality life and the option to not even own a car. Parking isn't really a problem downtown because so many people take mass transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 04:45 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,762 times
I stand corrected on some issues and we agree on the public transportation part. I understood you differently.

I also agree that times, they are a changing. Like you I was anxious to get my license and got it as soon as possible. Down in South Florida our buses have bike racks and the cities/county is struggling with figuring out a way to mix bicycles and cars on existing infrastructure. Legally, you can ride bicycles in traffic lanes on most roads. It is still too dangerous for most to ride bikes down here and securing your bicycle is also an issue.

Atlanta proves adding more lanes doesn't necessarily ease traffic... Other alternatives are needed. And it is tough to change existing infrastructure if it wasn't planned for the change initially.

DCForever - Your experience is obviously different from mine. I remember in the mid mornings circling forever trying to find a spot to park remotely where I needed to go. Maybe I just needed to be in areas of DC where every one else wanted to be? And it wasn't like I was only there during a holiday. This was a daily deal for a bit for me. And the point was that once you are in DC it is easier to just leave your car and take public transportation. Did that change in the past few years? Public transportation in DC is now sub-standard to the point you need a car?

Old 12-07-2013, 05:43 PM

17,613 posts, read 17,649,156 times
Happened right outside the hospital where I work. Even with her spinal problems from before the wreck, and she walked to the ER. Her current vehicle is much better in wrecks.

Quote:
Sorry to hear the wifes car was totaled. And that is kinda of what happened to us and why we ended up with a Volt. Except it was motorcyle that totaled her SUV. (He was going 120 mph and hit her head on - he died and she was lucky she didn't get killed too). I would like to say it was freak accident, but it is all too common down here.

Sounds like you have a good plan - at least I think so....

--

OpenD - Actually my family (roots) have been in the US a very long time - multiple generations. I can trace my roots back the US to the late 1700s... Probably further if I really tried. Most of my family ended up in rural areas. And in fact, my immediate/close family moved to South Florida in the 1940s, when almost no one lived down here. (Residential A/C wasn't around yet - and my grandparents used to have ice delivered to keep food fresh) Once Miami started getting built up most left. A few of us stayed, although I am down to just a few relatives left.

Anyways, when the car companies bought out public transportation, the US was just being formed. Hence my statement. A lot has happened in the past 100 years. We are a fairly young country in the grand scheme of things. You hit the nail on the head, we were going towards a country with a mass transit system until big business (car and oil/gas companies) messed that up. I'm not a big conspiracy person, but this is an exception where I do believe that it was a conspiracy to make most of us have to have cars. Also, there is so much pressure for you to own a car - it's like a right of passage for an American teenager to get a car. Although that mindset is changing with the millennials. Most of my neighbors teenagers didn't get a car while they were in high school, a BIG difference from when I was a teenager.

I guess we will just have to disagree on the state of the US mass transit system. But this is America and we can civilly disagree. If you happen to live and work in the right spots it works. And I will agree that the larger cities, if you want to live and work in the larger city it works. And there is a trend towards that, where as my generation and my parents generation (Baby Boomer and X) the trend was to move out to the 'burbs. I still think a large majority of the country is left out. I know that there are economies to scale and at times it just doesn't make economic sense - but I don't think we are anywhere near that point, yet.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I stand corrected on some issues and we agree on the public transportation part. I understood you differently.

I also agree that times, they are a changing. Like you I was anxious to get my license and got it as soon as possible. Down in South Florida our buses have bike racks and the cities/county is struggling with figuring out a way to mix bicycles and cars on existing infrastructure. Legally, you can ride bicycles in traffic lanes on most roads. It is still too dangerous for most to ride bikes down here and securing your bicycle is also an issue.

Atlanta proves adding more lanes doesn't necessarily ease traffic... Other alternatives are needed. And it is tough to change existing infrastructure if it wasn't planned for the change initially.

DCForever - Your experience is obviously different from mine. I remember in the mid mornings circling forever trying to find a spot to park remotely where I needed to go. Maybe I just needed to be in areas of DC where every one else wanted to be? And it wasn't like I was only there during a holiday. This was a daily deal for a bit for me. And the point was that once you are in DC it is easier to just leave your car and take public transportation. Did that change in the past few years? Public transportation in DC is now sub-standard to the point you need a car?
Downtown street parking can be hit or miss and you are limited to two hours when parking on the street so workers don't use that. Commuter parking is in subterranean garages, and no despite some reliability problems with underfunded maintenance, Washington continues to operate the nations second most successful mass transit system. It's amusing to hear suburbanites complain about traffic. I take mass transit and am quickly in and out of wherever I go down town. I put about 3k miles per year on my car.

In 2014 we will celebrate the return of streetcars.

BTW, my experience spans 30 years in the district.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Can't wait to see how the street cars turn out. That should be neat.

And, I am impressed with the DC public transportation system. Too bad the rest of the US isn't designed that way. Even though I love my car.

Unfortunately, when I have to drive thru DC, as I am not stopping in DC, I get to experience that traffic...

Old 12-08-2013, 07:22 PM

Loving cars is one thing. Loving commuting is entirely different.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:50 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Loving cars is one thing. Loving commuting is entirely different.
One of the real game changers in the whole public transportation mix is that millennials don't mind commuting, but they don't want to drive, because commute time on transit can be used for social media, game play, and reading online, while drive time is just a waste, in their perception.

This may seem silly to some, but cultural revolutions pivot on generational changes in attitude like this.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 AM

It is going to be interesting to see if social media and smart phones leads to the transportation revolution...

Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
One of the real game changers in the whole public transportation mix is that millennials don't mind commuting, but they don't want to drive, because commute time on transit can be used for social media, game play, and reading online, while drive time is just a waste, in their perception.

This may seem silly to some, but cultural revolutions pivot on generational changes in attitude like this.
I'm going to quibble slightly. From my data sample of one, millennials would rather live in town than in the suburbs. The entire District of Columbia is being almost over run by millennials. They are gentrifying neighborhoods that their suburbanite parents would even drive through. That's probably more complex than commute alone.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I'm going to quibble slightly. From my data sample of one, millennials would rather live in town than in the suburbs.
True, but there are still enough of them commuting in from their parent's houses in the suburbs to have a big effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living